[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What a bunch of morans

SEC=UGA

So this is like the "N" word to the family and friends of the mentally challenged?

I guess my biggest problem is this; at what point do we discontinue the use of words because they are offensive to a certain segment of society? Is queer no longer acceptable, as in "wow that is one queer looking animal!", because it is used to slander gays homosexuals, can we no longer use the word dike, as in "I was in the Netherlands and they had some really amazing dikes over there!", because it is used to slander lesbians?

So, if I understand correctly, the word retarded, or any derivation of that word, is an invective and can not be used to describe a feeling or action that someone has, or has made, in which they feel that they were not using all of the faculties at their disposal? At this point, when someone does do something which gives them the feeling that they are not bright, can one use "slow", "mentally challenged" or "special" without incurring the wrath of these people?

I guess I don't understand because I'm relatively callous with regard to how other people view me; dolt, redneck, pecker wood, cracker, towel head (I do look a bit middle eastern and have been called this), moron (could she have used this instead?), etc... does not bother me.

Anyway, I think you guys have made your point, that even though this word is not being used as an invective toward a mentally challenged person, the mere use of it causes anger because it is a word that has historically been used in a disrespectful manner toward someone who is mentally challenged, much in the same way the "N" word resonates with the black community.

So this is like the "N" word to the family and friends of the mentally challenged?

I guess my biggest problem is this; at what point do we discontinue the use of words because they are offensive to a certain segment of society? Is queer no longer acceptable, as in "wow that is one queer looking animal!", because it is used to slander gays homosexuals, can we no longer use the word dike, as in "I was in the Netherlands and they had some really amazing dikes over there!", because it is used to slander lesbians?

So, if I understand correctly, the word retarded, or any derivation of that word, is an invective and can not be used to describe a feeling or action that someone has, or has made, in which they feel that they were not using all of the faculties at their disposal? At this point, when someone does do something which gives them the feeling that they are not bright, can one use "slow", "mentally challenged" or "special" without incurring the wrath of these people?

I guess I don't understand because I'm relatively callous with regard to how other people view me; dolt, redneck, pecker wood, cracker, towel head (I do look a bit middle eastern and have been called this), moron (could she have used this instead?), etc... does not bother me.

Anyway, I think you guys have made your point, that even though this word is not being used as an invective toward a mentally challenged person, the mere use of it causes anger because it is a word that has historically been used in a disrespectful manner toward someone who is mentally challenged, much in the same way the "N" word resonates with the black community.

I've yet to hear any of the kids my wife teach say to one another "retard please!"

I have posted a heart wrenching story or two about my nephew who is Autistic. He is very high functioning but still it only takes being around him a short period to know that something is off. He is a great kid and teachers always loved him even though most could not get through to him. Kids on the other hand were terrorists to him. Made fun of him all the time for being a little quirky and really made fun of him for his Scooby Do lunch box. Lots of other things but being called a retard is what would crush him.

No you don’t use the R word in the Skippy house. My kids learned that early on and all their friends learned not to use that word around our house. I think it is a very disrespectful word that can really hurt people.

Having said all that, I won't hold this against her. I would bang her silly.

There are accurate uses of the root word - like a flame retardant. But when you're cutting someone down by reference to someone else who is challenged in some way they didn't choose, then you're insulting two people and its logical they both might take offense. (And if you're actually insulting someone who *is* challenged, then you're just a dick).

I use the term more often than I should, mainly when excited or frustrated, because its the most efficient way to describe something that exhibits diminished intellectual capacity. Like it or not, that's the dictionary definition of what "retarded" means. I know its crass and I could be more sensitive. But on the same note other people could try to avoid being hyper-sensitive, especially in those instances when (like with Jennifer Aniston) it's crystal clear they we not trying to insult anyone.

Edited by yo mama

I have posted a heart wrenching story or two about my nephew who is Autistic. He is very high functioning but still it only takes being around him a short period to know that something is off. He is a great kid and teachers always loved him even though most could not get through to him. Kids on the other hand were terrorists to him. Made fun of him all the time for being a little quirky and really made fun of him for his Scooby Do lunch box. Lots of other things but being called a retard is what would crush him.

No you don’t use the R word in the Skippy house. My kids learned that early on and all their friends learned not to use that word around our house. I think it is a very disrespectful word that can really hurt people.

Having said all that, I won't hold this against her. I would bang her silly.

:wacko:here

There are accurate uses of the root word - like a flame retardant. But when you're cutting someone down by reference to someone else who is challenged in some way they didn't choose, then you're insulting two people and its logical they both might take offense. (And if you're actually insulting someone who *is* challenged, then you're just a dick).

I use the term more often than I should, mainly when excited or frustrated, because its the most efficient way to describe something that exhibits diminished intellectual capacity. Like it or not, that's the dictionary definition of what "retarded" means. I know its crass and I could be more sensitive. But on the same note other people could try to avoid being hyper-sensitive, especially in those instances when (like with Jennifer Aniston) it's crystal clear they we not trying to insult anyone.

This is my general take on it as well. I rarely use the word, and I'm not real sensitive anyway, but I tend to call weathermen "weathertards". :wacko:

Nowadays people are way too sensitive and I blame this all on George W Bush!!!! Just imagine how worse it could be if it was not for Obama and the stimulus. The stimulus has made people use the word retard less than they would have if we never would have passed the stimulus.

I am not fully politically correct and I use plenty of words that are now deemed unnacceptable. Basically, in regards to this word, I stopped using it because like we said earlier Cliaz had expressed how hurtful that word could be , or a story like Skippy said.

Like SEG, un PC terms dont bother me. Guinea , wop , all of that . I just laugh at it. As far as retard. Someone in my circle of friends asked me to stop using it and brought it to light how hurtful it could be , so i did :wacko:

I am not fully politically correct and I use plenty of words that are now deemed unnacceptable. Basically, in regards to this word, I stopped using it because like we said earlier Cliaz had expressed how hurtful that word could be , or a story like Skippy said.

Like SEG, un PC terms dont bother me. Guinea , wop , all of that . I just laugh at it. As far as retard. Someone in my circle of friends asked me to stop using it and brought it to light how hurtful it could be , so i did :wacko:

You're a good man Charlie Brown.

I guess if you really think about it - it kinda is.

Talking to yourself, is that a sign?

And Aniston is half retarded anyways.

Nowadays people are way too sensitive and I blame this all on George W Bush!!!! Just imagine how worse it could be if it was not for Obama and the stimulus. The stimulus has made people use the word retard less than they would have if we never would have passed the stimulus.

Maybe you and Aniston can live on half tard island.

Edited by WaterMan

This is a word I use to describe myself regularly. I have a Niece who I love very much that is severely mentally handicapped and she refers to me as her retarded uncle Tommy. I really think it is all in the context and most grown adults can understand the difference.

I apologize to all the nerds, geeks, studs, dorks, MFers, tards, morans, dudes, pimps, arses, gigolos, culos, and pendejos of the world. I use these to describe myself on a daily basis. Glad I'm not a celebrity that might get caught on tape saying these hurtful things at myself.

I probably offend Hawaiians every time I call someone brah and might offend some others by calling someone bro. Heck, some people get a little offended when I call them sir or ma'am.

Alas, it's how you say it, not always the word itself. Intent is everything IMO.

I apologize to all the nerds, geeks, studs, dorks, MFers, tards, morans, dudes, pimps, arses, gigolos, culos, and pendejos of the world. I use these to describe myself on a daily basis. Glad I'm not a celebrity that might get caught on tape saying these hurtful things at myself.

I probably offend Hawaiians every time I call someone brah and might offend some others by calling someone bro. Heck, some people get a little offended when I call them sir or ma'am.

Alas, it's how you say it, not always the word itself. Intent is everything IMO.

I hate the way you say apologize