[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What to do with the 12 pick in a PPR redraft league?

Grits and Shins

Tomorrow is my local draft and I'm trying to figure out what to do with my first pick. Starting requirements 1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 PK, 1 DF, 1 Flex (RB/WR/TE). 4 PTs per passing TD, all others 6.

I've been on a long dry spell in my local league and I'm trying to avoid building a mediocre team from the 12 spot. I'm looking for some input for other players with similar league rules that drafted from the 12 spot. Specifically what strategy did you use and how did it turn out for you?

I expect all the tier 1 RBs and WRs will be off the board.

I would be pretty surprised to see any QB or TE taken in the first round ...

If I pass on a RB with these two picks I'll be getting a tier 3 RB at best for my starter ... but can I really take a Jamaal Charles or Pierre Thomas at this point and build anything but a mediocre team? So lets assume for a moment that I do not take a RB with my 1st or 2nd round pick.

I have never drafted a QB in the first round and it would be very hard for me to do so ... although this is my one crack at getting one of the top tier QBs after having already missed out on the top tier RBs and WRs. Did anybody actually draft a QB from this spot and how did their squad turn out. I must admit that even though I am toying with idea it will be very hard for me to do. For the moment lets presume I do not take a QB with my 1st or 2nd round pick.

That leaves me going WR-WR. In a PPR league I should land two solid WRs ... say two of Reggie Wayne / Roddy White / Larry Fitzgerald.

So when picks 3 and 4 roll around ... I have to believe that the RBs left are going to be pretty unappealing. If Antonio Gates is there do I snag the top TE .. how about if only Vernon Davis or Dallas Clark. Do I dare go WR-WR-TE? Presume for the moment that I do. Do I dare go for a Peyton Manning if he is still available. WR-WR-TE-QB.

Has anybody tried WR-WR-TE-QB this year ... what scrub RBs did you get stuck with?

Edited by Grits and Shins

if you get 6 pts per passing TD, I would consider Rodgers definitely..

with the other pick I'd take any of the following players if they were there

Turner, White or Austin...one of the three will be available for this pick if you consider the following players to be drafted already

CJ, AD, MJD, Rice, Gore, DWill, AJ, Moss, Wayne, White/Austin/Turner....if all but one of these players go in the 1st, I'd go Rodgers and whichever player that isn't drafted out of the bunch...take what the board gives you

:wacko: ...and draft the players that score the most points!!!

:tup:

if you get 6 pts per passing TD, I would consider Rodgers definitely..

with the other pick I'd take any of the following players if they were there

Turner, White or Austin...one of the three will be available for this pick if you consider the following players to be drafted already

CJ, AD, MJD, Rice, Gore, DWill, AJ, Moss, Wayne, White/Austin/Turner....if all but one of these players go in the 1st, I'd go Rodgers and whichever player that isn't drafted out of the bunch...take what the board gives you

:wacko: ...and draft the players that score the most points!!!

:tup:

4 pts per passing TD, all others 6 points.

Wayne/Turner is a real possibility at the swing ... if I don't talk myself into WR-WR

[ETA]

In regards to drafting the players that score the most points ... I'm going to try to draft AP, MJD, Chris Johnson, Aaron Rodgers, Andre Johnson, Randy Moss and Antonio Gates ... but I suspect the other guys in my league won't cooperate :tup:

Edited by Grits and Shins

Given your scoring system and lineup requirements, I would go WR-WR unless an elite RB somehow fell to you.

yeah and I would definitely consider Turner at that spot if he was there.....if you see Turner and a top 5 or 6 WR then I would do that...

maybe RB/WR/RB/WR, but that's planning too far ahead

With the league being a PPR requiring 3 WRs and only one RB I think WRs become more valuable. Several teams will likely be starting 4 WRs every week (one as the flex). I think you have to go WR-WR at the turn unless someone drops that doesn't belong there. I''d also go either WR-RB or WR-QB at the 3-4 turn. The more high end WRs you draft early, the less available for the other teams. In a twelve team league the top 40 WRs will be starting every week.

This is a league that clearly favors WRs. Teams will be scrambling for WRs in rounds 4-7 and you should find plenty of servicible RBs in those rounds.

Given your line up requirements, I actually like the 12th pick.

With the league being a PPR requiring 3 WRs and only one RB I think WRs become more valuable. Several teams will likely be starting 4 WRs every week (one as the flex). I think you have to go WR-WR at the turn unless someone drops that doesn't belong there. I''d also go either WR-RB or WR-QB at the 3-4 turn. The more high end WRs you draft early, the less available for the other teams. In a twelve team league the top 40 WRs will be starting every week.

This is a league that clearly favors WRs. Teams will be scrambling for WRs in rounds 4-7 and you should find plenty of servicible RBs in those rounds.

Given your line up requirements, I actually like the 12th pick.

I agree with Panhead55.

I had the 12th pick in a PPR league last year. Had to start 1qb, 2rbs, 3wrs, 1te, 1k and 1dst, no flex though.

In the first round, nine rbs, R. Moss and Wayne went in front of me, and I ended up taking AJ and Fitz with my first two picks. :wacko: My next two picks were Hines Ward and Dallas Clark. For the next two, I landed Addai and Matt Schaub. Not a bad start, huh? I grabbed some other running backs, I forget which ones, and just used a RB2 by committee approach each weeek, just playing the one with the best matchup.

I finished fourth in the league in scoring and made the playoffs but went one and done. Yes, I almost got an ulcer waiting to see who I could draft to use as a RB1, but the approach paid off. You can find serviceable rbs in the middle rounds when everyone else is picking over the leftover wrs.

Good luck.

Edit: the qb was Schaub, not Rivers.

Edited by Wolverines Fan

I could see WR-WR-WR-TE working out for you. Not sure how early TEs start coming off the board, but a start of something like White-Megatron-Steve Smith South-Gates sounds promising. And at the 5-6 turn, you could either go RB-RB or RB-QB depending on who is there at QB. You only need to hit on one RB late for this strategy to work and guys like MBIII, Bradshaw, and Ronnie Brown could be there. I hate going in with too fixed a strategy, but if the first round goes the way you think it will, WR-WR probablymakes the most sense, and then you just see what value is there going forward. A solid RB value might be there at the 3-4 turn, but if it's not, I don't think you need to feel obligated to take one. Good luck! I'm in a similar situation in my main local picking 11th, but QB scoring is a lot friendlier, so I'm going to be awfully tempted to take Rodgers or Brees early ( I can honestly say I've never been a QB early guy, so this would be a first for me.

I would be pretty surprised to see any QB or TE taken in the first round ..

I'd been VERY surprised if at least 1 QB was'nt drafted by your turn.

drafted 12 team local ppr last weekend from 11 hole...

White

Manning

P Thomas

J Best

V Davis

Wallace

Spiller

Gaffney

Has anybody tried WR-WR-TE-QB this year ... what scrub RBs did you get stuck with?

funny enough you ask this.

I didn't do this but a guy in my league did. This is a PPR league and we also have an odd flex system we only need to start 1-3 RB and 1-3 WR (total of 4).

so here is what this guy got stuck with. He picked his first RB in the 5th round.

1.12 Moss, Randy NEP WR

2.01 Johnson, Calvin DET WR

3.12 Romo, Tony DAL QB

4.01 Davis, Vernon SFO TE ------- was the first TE taken :wacko:

5.12 Bradshaw, Ahmad NYG RB

6.01 Bowe, Dwayne KCC WR

7.12 Williams, Carnell TBB RB

8.01 Jackson, Fred BUF RB

9.12 Bush, Michael OAK RB

10.01 Massaquoi, Mohamed CLE WR

11.12 Murphy, Louis OAK WR

12.01 Washington, Leon SEA

13.12 Moore, Lance NOS

14.01 Ringer, Javon TEN RB

15.12 Raiders, Oakland OAK Def

16.01 Graham, Shayne FA* PK

over-all this guy had a greart first two picks but he should have picked a RB in 3 or 4 )I think both should have been RBs)

and he passes on guys like Portis (or other OK RBs even in the 6/7th).

I think 4.1 is too early for a TE. I would take a TE later in the 4th. But true by the time 5.12 comes around you will be short on TEs but way more-so on RB talent.

Also he misses on the top-3 QB no need to waste one on Romo there are a lot of mid-high QBs that can be taken in the 6th+ round. Ben/Eli/Carson/Kolb/Favre all go in the 9th-10th round in my drafts.

Edited by rai

I would be pretty surprised to see any QB or TE taken in the first round ..

White

Manning

P Thomas

J Best

V Davis

Wallace

Spiller

Gaffney

I've been playing in this particular league since 1992 ... it is very rare that a team takes a QB in the first round.

I just did my draft with the 12 spot. I went out WR, WR. Then went for two RB's that I figured would get most of the carries. It is no PPR but we do start 3 WR's. I think they are my strong point. It is on a CBS free league mind you so I don't know how serious others are about it? My team ended up like this.

C Palmer

M Ryan ®

A Foster

L McCoy

A Bradshaw ®

J Forsett ®

R Moss

R White

T Owens

M Williams ® Tampa Bay

M Massaquoi ®

H Miller

L Tynes

Saints

I don't think Peyton is there at the mid-late round number 3. He's going in the second round (It would seem).

I have done two drafts one I took QB early and then wished I didn't as quality QBs are there deep into the draft. I mean good quality QBs are there in the 7th+ round

Same with TEs

But after round 1-4 the RBs and WRs are hit or miss. Especially the RBs

if it were me, at 12/13 pick by that time 7 or 8 RBs are gone so I would take WR/WR (in a PPR league) or maybe if a guy like Mendenhall or SJax is there take him because at round 3/4 and 5/6 the RBs are hard to find.

So in the second draft I went heavy on RB and WR and let the QBs and TE til later and this is what I got.

1.05 Gore, Frank SFO RB

2.08 Fitzgerald, Larry ARI WR ---did not expect him to be there

3.05 Benson, Cedric CIN RB

4.08 Addai, Joseph IND RB

5.05 Sims-Walker, Mike JAC WR

6.08 Celek, Brent PHI TE

7.05 Portis, Clinton WAS RB

8.08 Gaffney, Jabar DEN WR

9.05 Manning, Eli NYG QB

10.08 Sproles, Darren SD RB

11.05 49ers, San Francisco SFO

12.08 Favre, Brett MIN QB

13.05 Gresham, Jermaine CIN TE

14.08 Longwell, Ryan MIN PK

15.05 Akers, David PHI PK

16.08 Jones, James GBP WR

White

Manning

P Thomas

J Best

V Davis

Wallace

Spiller

Gaffney

I've been playing in this particular league since 1992 ... it is very rare that a team takes a QB in the first round.

I hear you. 14 years running for my oldest league and I'd never seen it either...until this year.

I would also likely go WR-WR. In drafts were I had a late pick, I've been able to get Addai later on. I don't think I'd go TE early. I'd target WR's, then load up on RB's like Addai, Foster, Best. Depending, could go QB at the third round turn.

I picked at 11 in one draft, but with double TE scoring, so I went Gates and Turner at the first turn. Didn't expect Turner to drop that far, and was looking for R White there. Since it's a start 1 RB, I think you can wait and get good value in the 4th-5th.

< Shrug >

I couldn't pass on Turner at 1.12

1.12 - Michael Turner

2.01 - Larry Fitzgerald (almost took Roddy White anyway)

I thought long and hard about taking White + Fitz .. and may regret not doing so the way WRs are flying off the board

Turner is very good. Since I think RBs will be depleted faster than any other position it is hard to pass on a guy like Turner.

30 minutes until draft ... and I still don't know what I'm going to do :tup:

For those that don't know what this thread is, it'll be Grits giving us a blow-by-blow of his live draft in a camouflage RMT. That’s right folks… sit back and be there with the great Grits as the picks go down… oh so exciting. :wacko: