[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Should this guy get arrested for defending his home?

Perchoutofwater

He should be arrested for wasting ammo. He could easily have leveled 8 or 9 of them before the cops got there and they scattered thereby saving the court and penal system hundreds of thousands of dollars over the expected lives of those 9 thugs.

All we have is that guys version of the story. They saw that this guy had an AK-47. I suppose that its possible that some of the bad guys charge at him anyway.

If guys were rushing at his home, he reasonably believed that he was facing imminent harm from someone with the ability to harm him, he shoud have shot the @ssholes.

If those guys are just milling around on the outskirts of the property, he should not have discharged the weapon, no matter what they were saying.

It didn't help that he had an AK-47. That bullet is going to go a long way and penetrate a lot of stuff if it doesn't end up embedded in the ground.

We'll see how it shakes out.

Edited by Furd

All we have is that guys version of the story. They saw that this guy had an AK-47. I suppose that its possible that some of the bad guys charge at him anyway.

If guys were rushing at his home, he reasonably believed that he was facing imminent harm from someone with the ability to harm him, he shoud have shot the @ssholes.

If those guys are just milling around on the outskirts of the property, he should not have discharged the weapon, no matter what they were saying.

It didn't help that he had an AK-47. That bullet is going to go a long way and penetrate a lot of stuff if it doesn't end up embedded in the ground.

We'll see how it shakes out.

It doesn't matter the specific make of the gun. If it isn't a shotgun (sometimes called a scatter gun) then the bullet can travel a significant distance. Even a .22 will travel several miles given the right trajectory and lack of impediments. People get all hung up on the fact that someone has an AK-47. I have a nice deer rifle, a Winchester model 99-E in .308. For those that don't know, that is the same cartridge as a NATO 7.62 and the same round the the AK-47 uses. Quite frankly, I could do more damage with the Winchester than the AK. Don't get caught up in the hype.

It doesn't matter the specific make of the gun. If it isn't a shotgun (sometimes called a scatter gun) then the bullet can travel a significant distance. Even a .22 will travel several miles given the right trajectory and lack of impediments. People get all hung up on the fact that someone has an AK-47. I have a nice deer rifle, a Winchester model 99-E in .308. For those that don't know, that is the same cartridge as a NATO 7.62 and the same round the the AK-47 uses. Quite frankly, I could do more damage with the Winchester than the AK. Don't get caught up in the hype.

Actually .308 Win is more powerful than the 7.62 X 39 used in the -47. So your non-scary deer rifle is more dangerous than the AK.

What did I say that was innaccurate? It is a poor choice of weapon to defend your home, both because of its projectile's ballastic and other properties and the stigma associated with the rifle. With respect to the former, just about any rifle is a poor choice. Excessive muzzle velocity and excessive penetration are two of the reasons. With respect to the latter, I can't think of a worse weapon for this situation. You've acknowledged the "hype" surrounding it. Do you think that this story would be as newsworthy if he used a Winchester .308? Of course it wouldn't. And the cops are going to act differently too.

What is the capacity of your .308? 5+1? I'll take the AK-47 and its 30 rounds (or more) if I want to do some serious damage.

Edited by Furd

What did I say that was innaccurate? It is a poor choice of weapon to defend your home, both because of its projectile's ballastic and other properties and the stigma associated with the rifle. With respect to the former, just about any rifle is a poor choice. Excessive muzzle velocity and excessive penetration are two of the reasons. With respect to the latter, I can't think of a worse weapon for this situation. You've acknowledged the "hype" surrounding it. Do you think that this story would be as newsworthy if he used a Winchester .308? Of course it wouldn't. And the cops are going to act differently too.

What is the capacity of your .308? 5+1? I'll take the AK-47 and its 30 rounds (or more) if I want to do some serious damage.

According to the article, there were 20+ gang members on the guys front lawn. I think it was an excellent choice of weapon considering the circumstances. Yes, if it was just one or two, I'd pull out a shotgun as well, but when you have that many potential targets, you need the additional magazine capacity the AK offers. Also according to the article he cooperated with the police. He actually had his wife call them prior to taking the gun out on the front porch. Would it have been better had he not fired a round? Who knows what the police response time would have been had he not. By firing the round he may have actually prevented the situation from escalating by virtually guaranteeing the would have police backup in a matter of a few minutes instead of half an hour.

You didn't say anything incorrect. The way you said it implied that the bullet was going to go a long way simply because of the gun it may have come from. While not inaccurate, it was a touch misleading.

According to the article, there were 20+ gang members on the guys front lawn.

Well, according to what I've read. There were 5 guys when he went to get the gun.

Anyway, this is all pretty pointless. We don't know what happened. We can only guess what might have happened. If you're on my lawn (and its not been established if that was the case in the story) and I'm in my house, unless you're pointing a gun at me or have some type of projectile weapon, you are not going to hurt me. Therefore, in most states anyway, the law does not permit me to fire a weapon. I suppose at some point, due to proximity or actions, somebody on my lawn could pose a threat to me. I don't think that its likely that anyone is going to charge me if I'm pointing a gun right at them, but its possible.

We may never know if this guy was justified for what he did, although you could argue that "warning shots" are not a good idea and may even be evidence that you did not think that you were facing imminent harm from somebody with the ability to carry it out.

Edited by Furd