[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Stopped smoking today.......

tazinib1

I was sitting there the other day thinking to myself, "God, I really don't enjoy these things anymore" So, now it's just a matter of me not buying a pack. I remember the withdrawals, they suck. Hang in their brother, you'll be better off.

YOu know, maybe to support your cause, when I kill this pack tonight, I'll quit also.

DO NOT BUY A PACK, you'll regret it.

I was sitting there the other day thinking to myself, "God, I really don't enjoy these things anymore" So, now it's just a matter of me not buying a pack. I remember the withdrawals, they suck. Hang in their brother, you'll be better off.

YOu know, maybe to support your cause, when I kill this pack tonight, I'll quit also.

DO NOT BUY A PACK, you'll regret it.

+1

I quit smoking for 2 years and I had a cig about 6 months ago and went to buying full packs off that 1 cig. I regret it so so so much. I actually have a cold now and my throat is sore as hell and havnt been able to smoke for a few days, I am going to try to continue and quit again.

I've literally gone from 2 packs a day to nothing. It's been 7 hours so far and I'm about ready to stare the paint off the walls if it talks back to me. Remember the movie Kujo? Yeah..that was a smoking dog. Producers thought it would be funny to cut off a smoking dog and film it. Yeah that went really well DIDN'T IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you exercise or play sports? The quickest way to remind oneself of just how out of shape they are is to join a pickup game of hoops at the gym, or something similar. Just an idea... Seems like sitting around, staring at the walls, isn't the best formula for staying away from the smokes. Get out and do something active... Not only will it make you feel more motivated, it will also possibly remind you of what the smokes are doing to your lungs, etc. The booze thing is an excellent point as well... drinking and quitting smoking don't go well together.

Good luck. Take it one day at a time. :wacko:

This would be a good time to avoid liquor as well. Booze most definitely destroys what little will power you have.

Yeah, you should also avoid eating, drinking coffee, or taking a dump... all of which go so very well with smoking, either during or after.

Smoking raises the levels of dopamine in your system. So do exercise and sex. . .replace one with the other.

I'll get my fair share of exercise in a few days when I start a movie in Florida (leave today). What prompted this, was a 3 day gig I finished yesterday, rigging the electric for http://peterpantheshow.com/ and let me tell you I was huffing and puffing the entire time. Working with 20yr olds is draining at times I can tell you that.

I also had a ladybug land on my crotch yesterday. So I could be 2 for 2!!!!

In my 37+ years on this planet, what I have learned about smoking, being a smoker (for about 17 of those years), and being a smoker who wants to quit:

1) We all know what the horrors of smoking are. Telling somebody what those are does nothing, and matter of fact, does the opposite of the intended desired action.

2) If a person WANTS to quit, they will quit. Period. There is no "I quit smoking for you" or "I quit smoking for my kids". Smokers smoke for themselves, and need to quit for themselves. Period.

If you WANT to quit - and I mean you are fed up, about to tears, angry - then I would suggest buying this book and reading it to help quit. Reading a book by itself is NOT the answer - again, YOU have to WANT to quit. And mean it.

3) "I'm waiting until things slow down in my life to quit." Bullpuckey. Too late - you'll be dead by then. We find reasons in our lives to NOT quit, but never a good enough reason TO quit.

I'm an on-again/off-again smoker who is currently off, and have been craving for a few weeks now. Haven't given in though. Don't think I will either, at least I hope I don't make the conscious choice to start again. Been about 6 months. I've quit for 2 years, only to have "just one". Once a smoker, always a smoker - there is NEVER "just one" when you quit.

Just remember that it's up to you. Even if you cave, don't give up. Try again tomorrow, next week, next month.

If you are serious, I would give very serious consideration to buying that book and reading it to help. Sounds hokey, I know, but I am as serious as ever.

And just wait until you've quit for a few weeks, then have a dream that you smoked... WHOA! Did that really happen??? I was freaked out for days after that.

Good luck taz.

I'd try the nic gum. Helps to control the cravings while you get used to not puffing on cancer sticks multiple times a day. Then, lower your dosage gradually, so your own eco-system doesn't go crazy. I think of it like working out. It's not a good idea to go crazy and hit the gym as hard as you can when you've been away for a few years. It's better to set yourself up for success and go at a reasonable pace. Good luck bro.

I'll get my fair share of exercise in a few days when I start a movie in Florida (leave today). What prompted this, was a 3 day gig I finished yesterday, rigging the electric for http://peterpantheshow.com/ and let me tell you I was huffing and puffing the entire time. Working with 20yr olds is draining at times I can tell you that.

I also had a ladybug land on my crotch yesterday. So I could be 2 for 2!!!!

Good l;uck not smoking during that drive from Cali to Florida . . . :wacko:

I chewed tobacco for awhile . . . it was tough as hell to quit the habit. I wasnt anywhere NEAR your amount of nictine intake though . .. so i cant imagine the hell you are going through.

Good l;uck not smoking during that drive from Cali to Florida . . . :wacko:

I chewed tobacco for awhile . . . it was tough as hell to quit the habit. I wasnt anywhere NEAR your amount of nictine intake though . .. so i cant imagine the hell you are going through.

Well correcting my spelling isn't helping any!!!

Man, it's been 13 years, so crazy remembering myself as a regular cigarette smoker.

I agree about booze, they go hand in hand. Probably took me a full year to be able to drink without craving a smoke.

When I did quit, I had already cut down to where I wasn't smoking my first one of the day until I got home from work. I figured if I could go that long, I could quit altogether. Around the same time I started exercising regularly and eating better. Can't begin to tell you how much better I felt. Especially....well, downstairs. :wacko:

Hang in there, try the gum if the cravings are bad, and keep remembering how much better you'll feel, how much you're improving your health and how much money you're saving!

Taz, get a patch or the gum to ease the withdrawals. No shame in that. Eventually you will rely less on the patch and before you know it you're done. Good luck brother. In January it will be 10 years since my last cigarette. It isnt easy but its worth it

Right there with ya Taz. I chose the cut down first method and have done fairly well with it. I was a 2+ pack a day smoker myself. I am almost comfortable at a 1/2 pack a day right now. The next step is dropping them all together and I am just about ready!

You NEED the patch or the gum. Going from 2 packs a day to zero is damn near impossible. Not saying you can't, just being logical. Get yourself a nicotine replacement that does not have tobacco in it. Cigars and dip will only keep you addicted and eventually lead you back to smokes.

My latest battle with my sinuses and bronchitis made it clear to me that I have to quit or I will be dealing with some very serious health concerns in the not too distant future. Don't wait for that type of wake up call.

Good luck man..... I did the same thing after smoking for over 15 years. I did buy one box of that gum, but I knew in advance that it would only be a one time buy.

Trust me, it's worth it (quiting smoking)

Edited by JoJoTheWebToedBoy