[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shopping for a used car

driveby

Maybe I'm weird, but I never borrow money to buy something that is going to drop like a rock in value. I've had a lot of company cars over the years so I'm used to having basic transportation but the whole equation just looks :tup: to me once you remove the "I am what I drive" marketing that people get fed. Just my :wacko:

Jeez, you sound like my wife.

I tend to agree for the most part. However, I've been driving "utility" type vehicles for years and finally decided I was going to get something nice for a change. The compromise was to not buy new but get something better than a 2004 chevy impala.

And the last time she got what she wanted (the Mustang), so my turn. :tup:

Maybe I'm weird, but I never borrow money to buy something that is going to drop like a rock in value. I've had a lot of company cars over the years so I'm used to having basic transportation but the whole equation just looks :tup: to me once you remove the "I am what I drive" marketing that people get fed. Just my :wacko:

Your point is very valid. That said, if it is something that fits into your budget and is as necessary, in many cases and cities, as a car, and you spend a great deal of time in it, you should get what you want. It isn't like this is a 52" flat screen, "Do I pay an extra 300 for the Sony or do I get the Vizio..."

That and their is an enormous difference between a Lexus, Infinit, Acura, BMW, etc... and a Kia or Hyundai (though Hyundai is starting to make nicer and good looking cars) that I think is well worth the extra coin.

That said, I have pretty much always purchased used cars and I drive them until they have 200,000+ miles on them, I'm not going to get that kind of wear and reliability out of a cheaper automobile. Also, I need something with a high strung V6 or better. With the way I drive, I would die driving around Atlanta in a 4 banger.

The G37 & Maxima are very nice. Just remember that an Infiniti is just a Nissan that costs more.

True, but as someone whose folks drive a G35 and bro a new Maxima, it's like the difference between a loaded Toyota and a Lexus.

Though the new Maxima and the '08 G35 are both among the most beautiful cars out right now, you just feel 10x classier riding in the Infinity. It really feels like you're riding in a Benz (but without the insane repair costs).

As far as reasonably priced used cars go, the G35 definitely tops my list. I guess same goes for G37, but do they even make a 4 door?

(Edit: Also agree about Hyundais if you want a luxury or sporty car loaded for alot less. My buddy just got a 2010 Sonata, that appears to be modeled straight of the Maxima, and the Genesis is supposed to be nice too. Hyundai is definitely stepping it up).

Edited by delusions of granduer

True, but as someone whose folks drive a G35 and bro a new Maxima, it's like the difference between a loaded Toyota and a Lexus.

Though the new Maxima and the '08 G35 are both among the most beautiful cars out right now, you just feel 10x classier riding in the Infinity. It really feels like you're riding in a Benz (but without the insane repair costs).

As far as reasonably priced used cars go, the G35 definitely tops my list. I guess same goes for G37, but do they even make a 4 door?

(Edit: Also agree about Hyundais if you want a luxury or sporty car loaded for alot less. My buddy just got a 2010 Sonata, that appears to be modeled straight of the Maxima, and the Genesis is supposed to be nice too. Hyundai is definitely stepping it up).

yup.

The 2009 G37 4 door replaced the 2008 G35 4 door.

The G37 & Maxima are very nice. Just remember that an Infiniti is just a Nissan that costs more.

Exactly. I bought a 2009 Maxima and I love it. The ride, the acceleration, everything. It's a very nice car and priced well. Good bang for your buck. The Infinities are very nice as well but over-priced.

Jeez, you sound like my wife.

I tend to agree for the most part. However, I've been driving "utility" type vehicles for years and finally decided I was going to get something nice for a change. The compromise was to not buy new but get something better than a 2004 chevy impala.

And the last time she got what she wanted (the Mustang), so my turn. :tup:

So your wife agrees with me but she drives a Mustang GT?

:wacko: chicks don't make sense anywhere....

OK, one more question for the mechanically inclined.

Found a White 2010 loaded (premium package - leather, nav, double sun roof, heated and cooled seats, etc) Maxima for 24,990 last night. It's a local trade one owner at an Infiniti dealership. Maintenance records, Infiniti 156 point inspection, yada yada. It absolutely clean and straight and the tires look almost new. Problem is it has 35,000 miles. Question is, are the miles (which I assume are mostly highway) enough of a concern to walk away from a car priced probably $2,000 less than a comparably equipped Black (which is the color I prefer) 2009 with 21,000 miles?

TIA.

to me (depending on the specific difference between model years), I'd say a year newer is probably worth as much as 14K miles. I'd look into exactly what those differences are. then I guess it just depends how much the color matters to you. or how low you can get either seller to go (unless they're the same seller).

to me (depending on the specific difference between model years), I'd say a year newer is probably worth as much as 14K miles. I'd look into exactly what those differences are. then I guess it just depends how much the color matters to you. or how low you can get either seller to go (unless they're the same seller).

Cars are essentially the same except for the year, the color and the mileage.

The problem I'm having is justifying spending more for an older car even though it has 14,000 fewer miles? Color matters but not $5,000 worth.

Cars are essentially the same except for the year, the color and the mileage.

The problem I'm having is justifying spending more for an older car even though it has 14,000 fewer miles? Color matters but not $5,000 worth.

If the 2010 is mint and has all the maintenance records to show it was cared for, I guess I wouldnt let the 14K miles scare me off. And though the other one is older, its an 09 so its not like its a lot older. If you like that color better and feel better about the lower miles, you're probably fine going that route, too.

Sorry. Probably not much help, eh? :wacko:

OK, one more question for the mechanically inclined.

Found a White 2010 loaded (premium package - leather, nav, double sun roof, heated and cooled seats, etc) Maxima for 24,990 last night. It's a local trade one owner at an Infiniti dealership. Maintenance records, Infiniti 156 point inspection, yada yada. It absolutely clean and straight and the tires look almost new. Problem is it has 35,000 miles. Question is, are the miles (which I assume are mostly highway) enough of a concern to walk away from a car priced probably $2,000 less than a comparably equipped Black (which is the color I prefer) 2009 with 21,000 miles?

TIA.

I think about it this way... It depends on how long you plan on keeping the vehicle. Assuming they both receive the same usage over the years, the one that has 14k less miles will probably last you a full year (or 2 depending on how much you drive) than the other. White and Black are both nice colors but the "younger" mileaged one is better for the long haul IMO. If you are going to trade in either of them within 4-5 years, it doesn't matter and you should just go with which one you like best.

I think about it this way... It depends on how long you plan on keeping the vehicle. Assuming they both receive the same usage over the years, the one that has 14k less miles will probably last you a full year (or 2 depending on how much you drive) than the other. White and Black are both nice colors but the "younger" mileaged one is better for the long haul IMO. If you are going to trade in either of them within 4-5 years, it doesn't matter and you should just go with which one you like best.

Moot point as it turns out.

Just talked to the guy with the black 2009 and he would't budge a dollar off the 29,988 price. :wacko:

So it looks like the white 2010 is the winner.

And I'll be keeping this car for as long as it runs. :tup:

Just talked to the guy with the black 2009 and he would't budge a dollar off the 29,988 price. :wacko:

I was really hoping you were gonna go for the G 37 but the Maxima is a nice car as well.

You did fine, don't worry about the miles. It's an extra year, but it was priced appropriately, so it's a 6/half-dozen scenario. And you will get 250K plus from that car if you drive it reasonably and maintain it.

I'm not religious about much, but vehicle maintenance is one thing I'm a stickler on.