[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why is Steve Smith (NYG) still so high on the WR ranked list...

cre8tiff

I thought the writing was already on the wall for Smith going into the season. HNicks was the talk of camp. Even Smith himself said that Nicks was going to have a big year. If you looked deeper at the numbers from last year, Smith was pretty mediocre after week 4. He only had 1 100 yard game after week 4, and only 3 TD's in that span. I thought he was being overrated coming into this year. He's a solid #3 WR in PPR leagues, IMO, and that's about it.

Smith is still a good go to 3rd down WR, and a threat for 90 catches IMO. I don't know how many drops he's had so far this year, but it's quite a few, and I think he'll get that fixed. He was a very reliable option for Manning last year. I think he'll finish as a low end WR2 in PPR. As Nicks begins to draw double coverage, things should open up for Smith some. The G men could use a reliable slot WR though. Manningham, Moss and Hixon always seem to be injured.

Smith is still a good go to 3rd down WR, and a threat for 90 catches IMO. I don't know how many drops he's had so far this year, but it's quite a few, and I think he'll get that fixed. He was a very reliable option for Manning last year. I think he'll finish as a low end WR2 in PPR. As Nicks begins to draw double coverage, things should open up for Smith some. The G men could use a reliable slot WR though. Manningham, Moss and Hixon always seem to be injured.

Not sure about straight-up drops, but he has 37 targets thus far, resulting in 22 catches. Given we're at the 1/4th part of the season, we can extrapolate that into 88 catches; consistent with what you're claiming here. He hasn't had less than 8 targets in any given game, which is a significant number.

We own him in our WCOFF team as our WR1. I was a little leery of having him as a "true" WR1, but in PPR formats, I think you can consider him as a low-end WR1.

He has a few incredibly favorable matchups upcoming. Let's address this after Week 6 or 7.

Exactly, Hicks may be the highest scoring receiver of the 2 by the end of the season, but writing off Smith as a bust and proclaiming Hicks the man is pre-mature at this point. I think they'll both be valuable receivers to have, kind of a 1a and 1b type thing. I'd assume that Hicks will have more TDs at the end of the season, but I'm still not going to be surprised if Smith scores higher in PPR formats. After all, it's not like Hicks is getting more balls thrown his way thus far.

MAYYY-be, but he is killing me in my total-points league with a very large number of folks on the WW outgaining him. Perhaps he will come on for the end of the season, but for now I'm burying him on the bench and using ww WR's to cover. NOT what I drafted him for.

Not sure about straight-up drops, but he has 37 targets thus far, resulting in 22 catches. Given we're at the 1/4th part of the season, we can extrapolate that into 88 catches; consistent with what you're claiming here. He hasn't had less than 8 targets in any given game, which is a significant number.

We own him in our WCOFF team as our WR1. I was a little leery of having him as a "true" WR1, but in PPR formats, I think you can consider him as a low-end WR1.

He has a few incredibly favorable matchups upcoming. Let's address this after Week 6 or 7.

Good info here.

I find it curious that while Manningham leads the Giants in both receiving percentage and ypr that he is third on the team in targets, and had his targets drop to 1 last weekend. It's always been my impression that Manningham is a superior WR to Smith and only needed to catch up with his experience, and I can't quite figure why he can't get on the field more opposite Nicks.

I find it curious that while Manningham leads the Giants in both receiving percentage and ypr that he is third on the team in targets, and had his targets drop to 1 last weekend. It's always been my impression that Manningham is a superior WR to Smith and only needed to catch up with his experience, and I can't quite figure why he can't get on the field more opposite Nicks.

Very unscientific eyeball test says to me Manningham is vastly inferior to Smith on his route running. Manningham seems to have poor lateral movement and cutting ability. I like Manningham but he's kind of just a deep threat and doesn't have the route running, strength, or body to create his own space.

Comparing Manningham and Smith's stats sort of show this (obviously the eyeball test seems to indicate as much but it's also apparent in how the Giants use each WR.

Very unscientific eyeball test says to me Manningham is vastly inferior to Smith on his route running. Manningham seems to have poor lateral movement and cutting ability. I like Manningham but he's kind of just a deep threat and doesn't have the route running, strength, or body to create his own space.

Comparing Manningham and Smith's stats sort of show this (obviously the eyeball test seems to indicate as much but it's also apparent in how the Giants use each WR.

Smith will still produce. I don't see any reason to drastically alter where he is ranked. As stated, he has had a few uncharacteristic drops, and the Giants offense is still sputtering. Short sighted to bail on him in my opinion.

Exactly, Hicks may be the highest scoring receiver of the 2 by the end of the season, but writing off Smith as a bust and proclaiming Hicks the man is pre-mature at this point. I think they'll both be valuable receivers to have, kind of a 1a and 1b type thing. I'd assume that Hicks will have more TDs at the end of the season, but I'm still not going to be surprised if Smith scores higher in PPR formats. After all, it's not like Hicks is getting more balls thrown his way thus far.

This Hicks guy sounds good! I don't see him on anyone's roster. Can't wait to grab him off waivers!

That's the thing, Smith is their slot receiver. He moves inside when the G-Men go with 3 WR sets. It was the same way last year, and one of the main reasons he was so money on 3rd down. I just don't think Smith has special ability. He is a good route runner, but now with the emergence of Nicks I think he continues to play 2nd fiddle. He will have some good weeks, but I don't think he will be nearly as consistent in PPR leagues as he was last year. Like I stated before, IMO, he's no more than a solid #3 WR in 10 team PPR leagues.