[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

giving halloween back to the kids

Azazello1313

is boullion cubes a halloween term for candy corn? seems like it would fit :wacko:

Why not use your old plastic easter eggs and tape them shut with a handwritten fortune inside?

bouillon cubes look like wrapped candy, except they aren't. for teenage trick-or-treaters, it's what they get for trying to act like little kids.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did I mention Obama? This crap has been happening and progressively gotten worse for the last 10 or 15 years. You buy enough candy for the kids in your neighborhood, and you run out 15 minutes after turning your porch light on because of all the kids being carted in from everywhere.

Hell, this use to happen when I was a kid (you know, when dinos roamed the earth)

What pisses me off is these people that drag their 3 month old out trick or treating. That damm kid doesn't even have teeth, so it's just adults panhandling for candy

Why would anyone not want to go with thier kids trick or treating? My neighbor and I fill a Little Tikes wagon with ice and beer, and walk along the street smoking cigars as the kids trick or treat.

A tradition that saw it's last last year, as the youngest kid turned 13. :-(

1. if you have little kids, take them out to trick-or-treat when it's dark and walk with them to the door. teach them the whole "Trick or Treat!" and "Now say thank you" routine so they understand the concept.

2. open up their sack of candy when you get home and pull out everything that isn't wrapped and dump it.

3. with "older" kids, say 7-12, let them go out in a group (with flashlights) and trick-or-treat on their own. GIVE THEM A CURFEW and tell them to be respectful of the houses they visit and other kids in the neighborhood.

4. if your kids are 13+ and want to trick-or-treat, put your foot down and tell them they are too old for that kind of stuff. if they want candy that bad, take 'em to Target and let them spend their allowance on the monster-sized bag of Kit-Kats.

Thanks for the parenting lesson. Great stuff. :tup:

bouillon cubes look like wrapped candy, except they aren't. for teenage trick-or-treaters, it's what they get for trying to act like little kids.

since when is a 13 year old not a kid? You're the grinch that stole halloween. :wacko:

Thanks for the parenting lesson. Great stuff. :tup:

since when is a 13 year old not a kid? You're the grinch that stole halloween. :tup:

since by age 13 you should be socially adroit enough to want to hang out with members of the opposite [or same, i don't care] sex and be at a dance or a party instead of marauding the neighborhood with a hoodie pull tight to your dome like the Unibomber mumbling "trickortreat" at my door.

if you're a social hand-grenade and can't (or don't want to) talk to members of the opposite [or same] sex, then just hole up in your room with a SuperBigGulp and a box of twizzlers and pw0n some n00bs in World of Warcraft.

Grinch out. :wacko:

since by age 13 you should be socially adroit enough to want to hang out with members of the opposite [or same, i don't care] sex and be at a dance or a party instead of marauding the neighborhood with a hoodie pull tight to your dome like the Unibomber mumbling "trickortreat" at my door.

if you're a social hand-grenade and can't (or don't want to) talk to members of the opposite [or same] sex, then just hole up in your room with a SuperBigGulp and a box of twizzlers and pw0n some n00bs in World of Warcraft.

ridiculous

interesting rant

I kind of agree with her. mostly.

I want to have her babies. Always nice to know somebody gets it, even if they are spitting into the wind.

with all due respect, I don't want to waste my money on candy for 17 year-olds

It's not even about wasting money. 17 yr olds trick-or-treating? :tup: Do they play hopskotch and sell lemonade outside the house in summertime too?

Yep, that's why at work tomorrow we'll be celebrating "Fall Fun Day". People in the front office are allowed to decorate their cubes, but only in things like gourds, pumkins, etc. No witches, ghosts, goblins, or anything scary. Employees can bring their kids thru from 1-5 to get candy, but again, no scary costumes. :wacko:

:vomit: Where on the West Coast did you move to (and my sympathies) :tup:

Edited by BeeR

What irritates me about Halloween is kids being carted in from other parts of town and dropped of in a neighborhood to trick or treat. It seems I'm getting more gracias' than thank you's, and there isn't a Latino family in my neighborhood.
racist.

I guess I can understand it to a point, the parents want their kids to be in a safe place, but why not work to make their neighborhoods safer?
Because mooching off of those who have already done so is a lot easier. Welfare mentality, remember? Now fork over the candy amigo.

Because of this, we no longer celebrate Halloween at the house. We go to church and do a Trunk-or-treat where we decorate our cars and hand out kids candy at church.
Hope the kids like it but IMO that and similar stuff is sad to me for the kids, who will never know the fun of walking around door to door, seeing what other kids' costumes are etc and only thanks to the skittish, paranoid, fall to pieces at the drop of a hat morons who have ruined Halloween for them.

Where did I mention Obama?

Consider the source. What did you expect?

I dont worry about what the kids would do if they go out. I worry about all the creepy SOB's out there and what they will do.

No $hit. There's 4,000,000 people in my town. No freaking way my 7 year old daughter is getting a kiss on the cheek and a curfew on her way out.

I coddle her.

I have no problem letting my kids roam the neighborhood during the summer from sunup till sundown during the summer and on the weekends. They can play out in the woods all day long, and often pack lunches and go off on their bikes with their friends. Having said that due to the importation of so many people on Halloween, they would not go out in our neighborhood unattended if we still stayed in the neighborhood on Halloween. My kids are 9 and 12.

I hope my kid gets a thesaurus for halloween so I can understand this post

What's wrong with the same kids enjoying an evening out, a little exercize and having fun. To suggest that most 13+ year olds simply go out in hoodies doesn't sound all that accurate. As I mentioned earlier: my daughter is going out with a group of friends. They all put a lot of thought and time into their costumes and sharing these costumes with folk and seeing seeing other people's costumes is more than half of the fun.

She's not in it for the candy. She's in it for the fun.

What's wrong with the same kids enjoying an evening out, a little exercize and having fun. To suggest that most 13+ year olds simply go out in hoodies doesn't sound all that accurate. As I mentioned earlier: my daughter is going out with a group of friends. They all put a lot of thought and time into their costumes and sharing these costumes with folk and seeing seeing other people's costumes is more than half of the fun.

this

Thank God Lucky 11 does'nt live near me

it's been my experience that older kids don't put effort in to costumes, and simply show up at the door with a pillowcase looking for treats. if it's come to that, then why bother?

i'm sure your daughter and friends will have a great time on their evening out, and they will receive tons of compliments on their costumes...good for them.

i'm of the opinion that once your kid gets into Jr. High (or seventh grade, when most kids turn 13 or so) that it's time to let a holiday like Halloween go by the wayside and move on to more appropriate adolescent endeavors. Halloween dance? great. Costume party at a friend's house? awesome. Invite your posse over to watch Hellraiser and crush Mountain Dew? go get 'em.

Halloween is for little kids - that's all i'm sayin'.

Why would anyone not want to go with thier kids trick or treating? My neighbor and I fill a Little Tikes wagon with ice and beer, and walk along the street smoking cigars as the kids trick or treat.

A tradition that saw it's last last year, as the youngest kid turned 13. :-(

My buddy has a golf cart :wacko:

Yet she goes door/door...and gets candy. :wacko:

ie if what you say is true, why not just have or go to a Halloween party?

To each their own I guess but I agree that trick or treating is for children. As in little kids. At 17 I would hope one is more of a "young adult."

Yet she goes door/door...and gets candy. :wacko:

ie if what you say is true, why not just have or go to a Halloween party?

To each their own I guess but I agree that trick or treating is for children. As in little kids. At 17 I would hope one is more of a "young adult."

this is assuming that I have the time, energy and expense to throw a good party and/or that her friends parents do as well.

whatever the case - the fact that you do not seem to agree or understand gives me confidence that she is well on her way to a happy, well adjusted life - and that on most issues, that she will not come off like an angry cramugin.

Yes good point: I dare to disagree, so I must be an angry "cramugin" (whatever that is)...but you having a hissy and attacking me because I dared to disagree is OTOH a shining example of a 'happy, well adjusted" person. An even better gem is your conclusion that her doing something I don't get/disagree with ensures she is "well on her way to a happy, well adjusted life."

Now I see where she gets her maturity (and intelligence).

We're fortunate to live in a fairly secluded, very safe neighborhood in a relatively small town. My wife and I have been debating letting our 7(almost 8) year old son do some limited, unsupervised trick or treating with a buddy of his. At this point, we plan on letting them make the trek from his house to ours. We will know when they leave, and the path they will take to get here, so generally we will know when to expect them. ( I may shadow them along the way without their knowledge)

We always have good crowds, but not huge. Houses here are a fair distance apart, so you have to do some walking to get a lot of candy. We never have outside kids brought in that I can tell.

Halloween has always been my favorite holiday, so I decorate the house to the hilt: scary music, strobe lights, fog machines... the works. I try to carve some elaborate pumpkins. (as a total aside, we should start a jack-o-lantern design sharing thread) It's my way of getting to celebrate halloween as an adult. It's also my way of trying to contribute something to the neighborhood. I tend to keep to myself somewhat, so it allows me to get to know people in the neighborhood that I might never meet otherwise. Halloween is most definitely an excellent generator of community camaraderie.

I have been feeling, over the last few years, that the concept is getting a little stale. Everything is store bought: store bought costumes, store bought candy, a plastic, plug in jack-o-lantern on every porch... There's no novelty or charm to a mountain of store bought candy. I'm actually thinking about giving out homemade rice krispy treats tonight, at least, offering them to the people I know, or maybe to kids who come with parents, so I can personally attest to their safety.

Halloween rules, Happy Halloween to all.