[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

More bad economic news

The Irish Doggy

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say democratic senator evan bayh defines "the middle" pretty well...

I am so glad you think so az.

Democratic Sen. Evan Bayh: 'Too Much Brain-Dead Partisanship' in Congress

Indiana Senator Rules Out 2012 Presidential Run, Mum on 2016 Ambitions

302 comments By HUMA KHAN and JONATHAN KARL

Feb. 16, 2010

PrintRSSFont Size: Share:EmailTwitterFacebookMoreFarkTechnoratiGoogleLiveMy SpaceNewsvineRedditDeliciousMixxYahooIndiana Sen. Evan Bayh, whose retirement announcement Monday stunned the political world, today assailed partisanship in Congress and said he could achieve much more in the private sector than as a senator.

Indiana senator says "There's too much brain-dead partisanship" in Congress."There's just too much brain-dead partisanship, tactical maneuvering for short-term political advantage rather than focusing on the greater good, and also just strident ideology," the Democratic senator said on "Good Morning America" today.

"The extremes of both parties have to be willing to accept compromises from time to time to make some progress because some progress for the American people is better than nothing, and all too often recently, we've been getting nothing," he said.

Bayh, 54, said compromise is badly needed in Congress, and that the American people need to jump in and vote out those lawmakers who are focused solely on politics and partisanship.

"The people who are just rigidly ideological, unwilling to accept practical solutions somewhere in the middle, vote them out, and then change the rules so that the sensible people who remain can actually get the job done," Bayh said. "The president I know is desperately trying to accomplish this. Congress needs to listen and the American people need to help with this process." The reason behind his decision not to seek a third Senate term, Bayh said, is he beleived he "could get more done" in the private sector, "real accomplishments in a real way, perhaps in a smaller stage but something meaningful."

The former two-term Indiana governor ruled out any notion of running for president in 2012, saying he supports President Obama and is confident he will get re-elected.

There is "no truth whatsoever" in that speculation, Bayh said, when asked about a Huffington Post story today that said he might be eyeing the White House. Bayh, however, would not comment on a possible 2016 run, saying that it is further down the road than he can see.

Bayh added that a third party is unlikely to emerge, as some have speculated, and that Congress can make progress in a two-party system but that it needed major reform. For his part, he still insisted he could achieve more in the private sector.

"I am looking forward to helping as a private citizen, my country and my state," Bayh said. "The politics, that'll ultimately take care of itself."

Bayh is not the only one disenchanted with Congress. Republican Sen. Judd Gregg, who is one of 10 other senators who have announced their retirement this year, told ABC News that while he believes bipartisanship is still alive in the Senate, he and several other colleagues share Bayh's frustration.

"You've got all these people shouting on the left and shouting on the right," Gregg said.

"I think there's a lot of factors that go into the decision not to run for re-election," he said. "We just thought it was time to try something else. But there is also the issue whether of if you stayed are you really going to get as much done as you want to do, and the answer is probably no. I mean if we are going to be honest about it, we are just not making the type of progress down the road on the big issues."

Hogwash.

This presidency has lacked the ability to implement it's agenda. Why? Obstruction from the right, the mess he inhereted and big business deciding to make the people pay for it's 2008 vote. That's what my 7 year old wants, the freedom to do what she wants rather than be told what to do. You want to keep driving your f*cking Lexus while other Americans die because they can't afford medical care. You want companies to have the freedom to f*ck up the air and the oceans in order to boost their profit margins. You don't know the outcomes an Obama Administration would produce. Nobody does because all the right has done is obstruct. You want to rail against some arrogant adminstration while at the same time claiming you've got it all figured out.

You are full of $hit.

I love you.

Manufacturing indexes are up. I got a report that said container port traffic was up some 11% over last year's October and should be 16% higher for the whole year... Somebody is making stuff to sell to somebody somewhere. :wacko:

I would say democratic senator evan bayh defines "the middle" pretty well...

in 2008, the democrats won independents by 8 points. now, according to some polls they are going republican by 20. that's a whole lot of "middle" that democrats have distanced themselves from. this fairly tale about obama trying so hard to move to the middle but those darn republicans just won't meet him halfway....the only people that believe that bunk are those who were firmly in his camp all along and are just looking for excuses and spin.

Bingo. You guys can make fun all you want, but the right isn't necessarily being hyper-partisan here, they're doing what MOST americans want, as defined by votes. Most of the country doesn't want to spend money like it's going out of style. But frankly, this election isn't FOR repubs, it's AGAINST dems, and I think the heffalumps are just in the right place at the right time. No other party has enough credence to get it up for a pizzed off electorate right now. Anyone who will open their eyes and look objectively can see that obamacare was about driving private insurers under, so that people would have no choice but to let gov't come in and take over.

Of course ursa, shrubwacker and grunge will go around saying the electorate is stupid because they don't understand what the dems are/have doing for them. It's ludicrous. People do understand.

Bingo. You guys can make fun all you want, but the right isn't necessarily being hyper-partisan here, they're doing what MOST americans want, as defined by votes. Most of the country doesn't want to spend money like it's going out of style. But frankly, this election isn't FOR repubs, it's AGAINST dems, and I think the heffalumps are just in the right place at the right time. No other party has enough credence to get it up for a pizzed off electorate right now. Anyone who will open their eyes and look objectively can see that obamacare was about driving private insurers under, so that people would have no choice but to let gov't come in and take over.

Of course ursa, shrubwacker and grunge will go around saying the electorate is stupid because they don't understand what the dems are/have doing for them. It's ludicrous. People do understand.

What a true independent. Keep up the good fight soldier. :wacko:

You guys can make fun all you want, but the right isn't necessarily being hyper-partisan here, they're doing what MOST americans want, as defined by votes.

Are you really serious? You think anything is going to change? Anything at all? Have you seen any election ad laying out a Republican policy map?

There's only ONE possibility and that's to extend tax cuts for all, including the rich. Obama won't have a problem going along with that since the intent was to extend the vast majority anyway. All the Republicans are doing is playing along until the :wacko: vote them back in, then it's $$$ for the donors, get themselves re-elected and screw everything else.

Edit: Oh yeah, and if a quick war can be trumped up, so much the better for their buddies in the defense industry.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

WV's far from independent, he's so dedicated to being a follower of Rand he's going to clamor to any kind of anti-govt'l POV despite the level of preposterousnes.

He is a lot closer to being an independent than you are, that is for sure.

Sadly no. Nothing is going to change. Not a damn thing. I feel bad and am scared for our children :wacko:

I actually agree with you. The only way I can see for us to get any real change is to repeal the 17th amendment and allow state legislatures appoint senators, and even then it isn't likely until we really and truly go broke.

I actually agree with you. The only way I can see for us to get any real change is to repeal the 17th amendment and allow state legislatures appoint senators, and even then it isn't likely until we really and truly go broke.

I totally agree. The only way to save the country is to start repealing constitutional amendments as rapidly as possible.

The only way to get back to the constitution is to start repealing parts of it that a certain narrow group of people dont agree with ASAP.

I totally agree. The only way to save the country is to start repealing constitutional amendments as rapidly as possible.

The only way to get back to the constitution is to start repealing parts of it that a certain narrow group of people dont agree with ASAP.

There are only two I'm in favor of repealing and one I'm in favor of modifying slightly. I've already stated I'd like to see the 17th repealed, and I'm sure you can guess the other I'd like to repeal and based on some comments you've made in the past I would think you would be in favor of repealing it as well. I'll let you guess which one I want to modify or maybe clarify would be a better word. BTW, I guess you were against the repeal of the 18th Amendment? Why don't you stop your knee jerk reactions and zinger posts and actually try having an adult conversation on the issues being brought forth. You showed such promise when you first started posting, but it appears as though Bushwanker and Evil GOP are having a very negative influence on you.

There are only two I'm in favor of repealing and one I'm in favor of modifying slightly. I've already stated I'd like to see the 17th repealed, and I'm sure you can guess the other I'd like to repeal and based on some comments you've made in the past I would think you would be in favor of repealing it as well. I'll let you guess which one I want to modify or maybe clarify would be a better word. BTW, I guess you were against the repeal of the 18th Amendment? Why don't you stop your knee jerk reactions and zinger posts and actually try having an adult conversation on the issues being brought forth. You showed such promise when you first started posting, but it appears as though Bushwanker and Evil GOP are having a very negative influence on you.

Perch . . . dont run from your Tea Party heritage. Embrace it.

people talk about anti-constitution actions, but then talk about repealing amendments in the next breath. The part that is amazing is that you dont see any dichotomy in those actions.

To me, that is more dangerous than anything else. Changing the constitution is not to be taken lightly, and has to come from a broader base than a nascent 3rd party just starting to emerge.

Perch . . . dont run from your Tea Party heritage. Embrace it.

people talk about anti-constitution actions, but then talk about repealing amendments in the next breath. The part that is amazing is that you dont see any dichotomy in those actions.

To me, that is more dangerous than anything else. Changing the constitution is not to be taken lightly, and has to come from a broader base than a nascent 3rd party just starting to emerge.

BP just as there is an amendment process there is appeal process for amendments see the 21st amendment. I'd much rather see changes in the Constitution done the way prescribed in The Constitution than the way it is done today, passing bogus legislation and hoping the Supreme Court doesn't take issue or hoping they make a bad ruling. Wanting changes to be made in the proper way is not attacking The Constitution, it is affirming it. Have you ever heard me support ignoring the constitution as Obama did when he shafted the auto companies bond holders, or the way pretty much all the democrats have done with the health care debacle? The simple answer is no, and you know it. You yourself have as much as said you are in favor of repealing one amendment in particular. Again, dial back the rhetoric, and think about what you are saying instead of trying project what you think I want.

This. Exactly this.

I think the repubs taking the house tomorrow actually helps Obama. The GOP will have no chance of doing any of the things they say they want to - they won't have the senate and even if the did, Barry still holds the veto power. With the GOP in charge of the House, they share power and responsibility with the dems - they'll no longer be able to hide in irrelevance.

Damn Obama for not paying people more and allowing them to spend less of their less.

Everyone in our organization will be getting a 20-30% pay cut on January 1st as a direct result of Obamacare. There is a high likelihood that several will lose their jobs, though we are trying to avoid that. I more than likely will not take a salary next year in order to minimize our losses, in an attempt to reduce the affect of our losses will have on our bonding rates. Still living off my savings/investments will reduce my net worth which will reduce my overall bonding capacity.