[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cowboys and Aliens

TimC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm betting good. One of those shamefully ridiculous movies that's good largely because it's so shamefully ridiculous. Kind of what "Mars Attacks" tried to be but couldn't pull off. As usual, it mostly comes down to the script.

I've been waiting for a sci-fi slash monster movie set in the old west. There are some but nothing with that kinda cast and crew. Looks interesting.

Alot of big names in front of and behind the camera. I'm thinking I'll have to catch that.

I have a LOT of friends that worked on this movie. I wasn't union at the time and got shut out. I'm stoked for its success.

I finally got to see this movie with my friends, and we all thoroughly enjoyed it. Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig were great, and Olivia Wilde was incredibly hawt (Detlef, you were right). I'd definitely see it again.

Just got back from seeing - thoroughly enjoyed it. Even my wife loved it. I know - Cowboys and Aliens would be hard to mess up and they didn't IMO. Great, great summer flick.

I finally got to see this movie with my friends, and we all thoroughly enjoyed it. Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig were great, and Olivia Wilde was incredibly hawt (Detlef, you were right). I'd definitely see it again.

Just got back from seeing - thoroughly enjoyed it. Even my wife loved it. I know - Cowboys and Aliens would be hard to mess up and they didn't IMO. Great, great summer flick.

:wacko:

Edited by tazinib1

this should go down as how to not promote a movie. i was as fired up as anyone to see this thing when i first got word of it, but the problem is that i got word of it almost a YEAR ago, which is almost the age of this thread. since then, i've been bludgeoned with previews for this thing at every movie i've seen over the past 9 months. by the time it actually rolled around, i felt like i've already watched it. the previews became so long, so drawn out, that there was no mystery left with the movie. then you read the reviews which say that it is what you would expect, so where's the motivation to actually see the movie? as a contrast, the freakin' smurfs put out a brief teaser or two, nobody even talked about it, and it almost beats cowboys on the opening weekend and trounces it this week on positive word of mouth. the smurfs over cowboys? who'd thunk it?

if, however, cowboys would have used some teasers and pulled back on laying out every money shot in the movie in preview after preview, it could have claimed word of mouth and people would have wanted to check it out.

you know how anti-preview i am. i think they kill the movie going experience. they are now putting scenes in movies that they think will help the preview (see harry potter calling voldemort tom riddle in the preview while in the actual movie they completely ignore the tom riddle backstory). i'm glad cowboys is tanking so maybe the studios will go back and figure out that we don't have to beaten over the head with a movie for months to get excited about it.

starting to already see previews for the new spiderman which i honestly can't tell the difference from the original tobey version. it's like as soon as they get any workable footage, or as soon as they can shoot enough for a preview, they need to start pounding us. i hope this thing bombs as well because we didn't need a reboot in the first place.

rant over ...

:wacko:

But will it have the desired effect on Mrs HR?

:tup:

this should go down as how to not promote a movie. i was as fired up as anyone to see this thing when i first got word of it, but the problem is that i got word of it almost a YEAR ago, which is almost the age of this thread. since then, i've been bludgeoned with previews for this thing at every movie i've seen over the past 9 months. by the time it actually rolled around, i felt like i've already watched it. the previews became so long, so drawn out, that there was no mystery left with the movie. then you read the reviews which say that it is what you would expect, so where's the motivation to actually see the movie? as a contrast, the freakin' smurfs put out a brief teaser or two, nobody even talked about it, and it almost beats cowboys on the opening weekend and trounces it this week on positive word of mouth. the smurfs over cowboys? who'd thunk it?

if, however, cowboys would have used some teasers and pulled back on laying out every money shot in the movie in preview after preview, it could have claimed word of mouth and people would have wanted to check it out.

you know how anti-preview i am. i think they kill the movie going experience. they are now putting scenes in movies that they think will help the preview (see harry potter calling voldemort tom riddle in the preview while in the actual movie they completely ignore the tom riddle backstory). i'm glad cowboys is tanking so maybe the studios will go back and figure out that we don't have to beaten over the head with a movie for months to get excited about it.

starting to already see previews for the new spiderman which i honestly can't tell the difference from the original tobey version. it's like as soon as they get any workable footage, or as soon as they can shoot enough for a preview, they need to start pounding us. i hope this thing bombs as well because we didn't need a reboot in the first place.

rant over ...

I have greatly anticipated this movie and yet it exceeded my expectations. The trailers for it showed some action scenes but did not disclose the premise of the movie (why the aliens were there) or the significant plot twist for one character. I also enjoyed the fact that they resisted in a few instances from just making it like a cartoon brought to life by giving some depth to characters. My impressions of a few characters to start the movie changed significantly by the end. I did not think the previews killed this one at all. It ain't Gone With the Wind, but it was a story that had a whole lot outside of the eye candy of the trailer.

sorry but I can't justify going out and spending the money at a theater to watch something called Cowboys and Aliens. Even with Ford in it I can't see it being nothing more than a summer popcorn flick. I'll wait for HBO.

I have greatly anticipated this movie and yet it exceeded my expectations. The trailers for it showed some action scenes but did not disclose the premise of the movie (why the aliens were there) or the significant plot twist for one character. I also enjoyed the fact that they resisted in a few instances from just making it like a cartoon brought to life by giving some depth to characters. My impressions of a few characters to start the movie changed significantly by the end. I did not think the previews killed this one at all. It ain't Gone With the Wind, but it was a story that had a whole lot outside of the eye candy of the trailer.

that very well could be, but that's not my point. i'm sure the movie is good and there's maybe a bunch in it that isn't revealed ... but i'm betting that due to the over saturation with the promotion, people are already a bit fatigued with the movie before it is even released. i'm guessing that's one of the drivers behind its inability to beat the smurfs in its second week. even with you telling me it exceeded your expectations, i'm just not that all fired up about this. should be ... bond, indiana jones, aliens, cowboys ... what's not too like? but when i think of going to see it ... eh, meh.

in contrast, just got back from the apes and oh my .... easily the best movie of the summer!!! see separate thread.

• 4 months later...

David, I so tried to like this movie. I really wanted to like it...and I did, for about the first hour.

After that, it turned out to be really, really bad.

I wish you had better taste in movies. :wacko: