[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hakeem Nicks

i_am_the_swammi

Per CBS...a killer for me as we head into the critical weeks:

Hakeem Nicks, WR NYG

News: The Giants announced Monday that WR Hakeem Nicks will miss three weeks with Compartment Syndrome in his lower right leg. He suffered the injury late in the team's game on Sunday night at Philadelphia. Nicks was targeted nine times in the Week 11 loss but had just 65 yards on six catches as he dealt with quality cornerback Asante Samuel for much of the matchup. Derek Hagan is expected to step up in Nicks' place.

What the Frack is compartment syndrome??

Basically it's when the muscle expands (or swells) beyond the level that is comfortable for the hard sheath around it. This is typically a chronic injury, not an acute one, so it's a bit weird. Surgery for this involves cutting away part of the sheath in order to allow the pressure to subside.

This is not super uncommon, but it's strange to see at this point. My guess is that he's been having some pain from it but now its to the point where he can't function the way he'd like to. Blood flow can be restricted with this and it could cause long term harm if he doesn't rest.

Yeah, you don't hear this one a lot. I used to coach track and had some teammates and athletes who had this at one point in their career. Sucks for Nicks owners (including me).

What the Frack is compartment syndrome??

Wiki:

Compartment syndrome is the compression of nerves, blood vessels, and muscle inside a closed space (compartment) within the body. This leads to tissue death from lack of oxygenation; the blood vessels being compressed by the raised pressure within the compartment. Compartment syndrome most often involves the forearm and lower leg.[1] It can be divided into acute, subacute, and chronic compartment syndrome.

Symptoms and signs

There are classically 5 "Ps" associated with compartment syndrome — pain out of proportion to what is expected, paresthesia, pallor, paralysis, pulselessness; sometimes a 6th P, for polar/poikilothermia (failure to thermoregulate) is added. Of these, only the first two are reliable in the diagnosis of compartment syndrome. [2][3] Paresthesia, however, is a late symptom.

Pain is often reported early and almost universally. The description is usually of severe, deep, constant, and poorly localized pain, sometimes described as out of proportion with the injury. The pain is aggravated by stretching the muscle group within the compartment and is not relieved by analgesia up to and including morphine.

Paresthesia (altered sensation e.g. "pins & needles") in the cutaneous nerves of the affected compartment is another typical sign.

Paralysis of the limb is usually a late finding. The compartment may also feel very tense and firm (pressure). Some find that their feet and even legs fall asleep. This is because compartment syndrome prevents adequate blood flow to the rest of the leg.

Note that a lack of pulse rarely occurs in patients, as pressures that cause compartment syndrome are often well below arterial pressures and pulse is only affected if the relevant artery is contained within the affected compartment.

Tense and swollen shiny skin, sometimes with obvious bruising of the skin.

Congestion of the digits with prolonged capillary refill time.

Wiki:

Compartment syndrome is the compression of nerves, blood vessels, and muscle inside a closed space (compartment) within the body. This leads to tissue death from lack of oxygenation; the blood vessels being compressed by the raised pressure within the compartment. Compartment syndrome most often involves the forearm and lower leg.[1] It can be divided into acute, subacute, and chronic compartment syndrome.

Symptoms and signs

There are classically 5 "Ps" associated with compartment syndrome — pain out of proportion to what is expected, paresthesia, pallor, paralysis, pulselessness; sometimes a 6th P, for polar/poikilothermia (failure to thermoregulate) is added. Of these, only the first two are reliable in the diagnosis of compartment syndrome. [2][3] Paresthesia, however, is a late symptom.

Pain is often reported early and almost universally. The description is usually of severe, deep, constant, and poorly localized pain, sometimes described as out of proportion with the injury. The pain is aggravated by stretching the muscle group within the compartment and is not relieved by analgesia up to and including morphine.

Paresthesia (altered sensation e.g. "pins & needles") in the cutaneous nerves of the affected compartment is another typical sign.

Paralysis of the limb is usually a late finding. The compartment may also feel very tense and firm (pressure). Some find that their feet and even legs fall asleep. This is because compartment syndrome prevents adequate blood flow to the rest of the leg.

Note that a lack of pulse rarely occurs in patients, as pressures that cause compartment syndrome are often well below arterial pressures and pulse is only affected if the relevant artery is contained within the affected compartment.

Tense and swollen shiny skin, sometimes with obvious bruising of the skin.

Congestion of the digits with prolonged capillary refill time.

How is it usually treated?

Nicks is at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York this afternoon undergoing a fasciotomy to treat the injury, according to the Giants.

Hakeem Nicks has been diagnosed with compartment syndrome in his lower left leg, and the Giants expect him to miss the next three weeks.

He underwent a "fasciotomy" on Monday afternoon. Compartment syndrome affects muscle circulation, and can lead to muscle or nerve damage if not treated cautiously. The Giants' passing attack can expect a major step back, as No. 2 receiver Steve Smith (pectoral) has already been ruled out for the rest of the month and Ramses Barden is on I.R. Mario Manningham will be counted on heavily. It sounds like the G-Men are hopeful that Nicks could return in Week 15, but that's no guarantee. We'd try to hang onto Nicks in fantasy leagues if possible.

-rotoworld

This news screwed me and I don't even have Nicks on my team. I was in the process of acquiring Santonio Holmes. However, now the owner is down a WR with Nicks out... no chance in me swinging that trade any longer. UGH!

and at one point was their fourth WR with Barden's back injury . . . now he'd be #2 . . .

Coughlin was debating cutting this kid, the only reason he didn;t is because he showed something in pre-season. They IRed him knowing he can come back at somepoint in the season. That tells me he wasn't ready for a full time role and they never would have guessed all these WRs going down.

Coughlin was debating cutting this kid, the only reason he didn;t is because he showed something in pre-season. They IRed him knowing he can come back at somepoint in the season. That tells me he wasn't ready for a full time role and they never would have guessed all these WRs going down.

That was my point. They put him on IR for a minor injury. Now they need him. Kinda sucks.

He can't come back this season. He's on IR.

Edited by CaptainHook