[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Alex Smith to Start Week 14

splotchman

According to NFL Network's Jason La Canfora, Alex Smith will start over Troy Smith in Week 14.

A big shocker, as Troy led the team to a 3-2 record after Alex started the season 1-6. Troy will assume backup duties, and should be dropped in all formats. Alex hasn't shown anything in the past to warrant fantasy ownership, and there are plenty of safer options in two quarterback leagues. As for the fallout, neither quarterback found the key to unlocking Michael Crabtree's potential. Vernon Davis is fresh off a big performance in Week 13 and he's historically played better with Alex under center. Safely play him as an elite tight end down the stretch. Dec. 6 - 8:59 pm et

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines...L&hl=194034

Vernon Davis is fresh off a big performance in Week 13 and he's historically played better with Alex under center. Safely play him as an elite tight end down the stretch.

Uh, except for the fact he's coming off his best game of year....with Troy Smith under center.

Nothing like finally getting some chemistry, then having it blown up just in time for the fantasy playoffs....and in favor of a guy that hasn't thrown a pass since Halloween.

Uh, except for the fact he's coming off his best game of year....with Troy Smith under center.

Nothing like finally getting some chemistry, then having it blown up just in time for the fantasy playoffs....

Gonna politely disagree with you on this one Swammi - VD's big game last week had nothing to do with chemistry, and a whole lot to do with luck and VD's athletic ability.

Targeted 6 times, 4 grabs. One was going out of bounds when VD jumped up and grabbed it, and the 66 yard TD run was just VD breaking tackles and using his speed.

Whether Alex Smith and VD can rekindle their old relationship, who knows. But I do know there was definitely no chemistry between Vernon and Troy.

Targeted 6 times, 4 grabs. One was going out of bounds when VD jumped up and grabbed it, and the 66 yard TD run was just VD breaking tackles and using his speed.

I can see your point, but...

how many of Davis' monster games with Alex Smith were the result of him breaking tackles and making spectacular catches? I'd venture a guess that there were quite a few, just because of the beast that Davis is. A. Smith knew he could throw up junk, and Davis would turn it to gold. I am thinking that T. Smith is just learning that as he completes his latest game, and the result was spectacular.

All I am saying is that while there may be no "chemistry" between Davis and T. Smith, logic only dictates that the more they play together, the better they become as teammates. And throwing in a Alex Smith now, just in time for the fantasy playoffs, when he hasn't thrown a l"live" pass in 6 weeks, puts us Davis owners in a precarious position of whether to start him.

Personally, at this point in the fantasy season and all the other factors I mentioned above, I'd have had more confidence had it been T. Smith than A. Smith.

Gonna politely disagree with you on this one Swammi - VD's big game last week had nothing to do with chemistry, and a whole lot to do with luck and VD's athletic ability.

Whether Alex Smith and VD can rekindle their old relationship, who knows. But I do know there was definitely no chemistry between Vernon and Troy.

Have to agree with kp here. The consistency with Alex Smith far outweighs the one good game he had with Troy Smith.

Alex Smith has two purposes in the NFL. 1. He makes Vernon Davis a fantasy treat. 2. He gets coaches fired.

I'm shocked, Troy Smith was making plays and seemed to have teammates believing in him.

Troy can't actually pass the ball though. 66/126 for 4 TDs and 3 Ints isn't really inspiring when you have no running game and have to pass.

Alex Smith was at his best when they were playing from behind, had abandoned the run, and the coaches took his leash off.

With no Gore, there's really no reason to not let Alex Smith just play 60 minutes from the gun airing it out.

Alex smith is the king of the checkdown and makes a lot of his throws to RB's. Troy Smith was always looking down field and didn't do well in the short pass. I would look for Westbrook to get more involved with Alex in there. Neither Smith is the QB of the future and I hope we get someone good next year.....along with a new coaching staff.

how many of Davis' monster games with Alex Smith were the result of him breaking tackles and making spectacular catches? I'd venture a guess that there were quite a few, just because of the beast that Davis is. A. Smith knew he could throw up junk, and Davis would turn it to gold. I am thinking that T. Smith is just learning that as he completes his latest game, and the result was spectacular.

All I am saying is that while there may be no "chemistry" between Davis and T. Smith, logic only dictates that the more they play together, the better they become as teammates. And throwing in a Alex Smith now, just in time for the fantasy playoffs, when he hasn't thrown a l"live" pass in 6 weeks, puts us Davis owners in a precarious position of whether to start him.

Personally, at this point in the fantasy season and all the other factors I mentioned above, I'd have had more confidence had it been T. Smith than A. Smith.

Alex Smith has two purposes in the NFL. 1. He makes Vernon Davis a fantasy treat. 2. He gets coaches fired.

Its a game of targets, my boys, targets. Alex just throws more to Vernon than Troy...

1 target tonight....uno...'nuff said.

i AM the swammi

I can see your point, but...

1 target tonight....uno...'nuff said.

i AM the swammi

:wacko:

Your first post above came just before Davis posted 5 catches for 70 yards and a TD with Alex Smith under center. Now that Davis puts up crappy numbers -- in his second game since your "prediction" -- you come in and crow? Next time the swammi makes a great prediction, remind me to wait a week before acting on your advice. :tup:

I'd be more impressed had you called Josh Morgan's 7-104. Still rolled with VD but hey plenty of football to go...at least that's what I'm trying to tell myself.

SD had better hope for a long playoff run, because if they go out week 17 Ron Rivera is going to be a HC somewhere.

But yes thanks Alex Smith for reminding us where you stand against good defenses.

:wacko:

Your first post above came just before Davis posted 5 catches for 70 yards and a TD with Alex Smith under center. Now that Davis puts up crappy numbers -- in his second game since your "prediction" -- you come in and crow? Next time the swammi makes a great prediction, remind me to wait a week before acting on your advice. :tup:

:tup:

If you read the post, the point I made was that a QB coming off a month+ layoff was not going to be uber sharp, and that he would need some time to re-develop chemistry with his WRs/TEs. Did Smith have a nice first game back? Sure, against a pretty pathetic opponent.

How did he fair with his chemistry when he played a defense that was actually covering people? How was his timing when it needed to be balls-on accurate? How successful was the offense when they needed to check-down, or go to their 2nd-or-3rd options when the primary WR was covered?

I've seen plenty of QBs (rookies or injured QBS making hteir first start) look damn good in one week, but completely lost the 2nd. Haven't you?