[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What am I missing here?

detlef

Despite the fact that my wife and I don't have kids, she often reads John Rosemond's Q&A on parenting in the Life section of the paper. Mostly because she gets a kick out of him telling parents to quit coddling their little effers.

At any rate, today she told me that she didn't understand the issue and, upon reading it, neither did I. I assume we're missing something?

It goes like this:

Our 16 year old son is talking of going to a local community college after high school and living with one of his friends. He says he needs to find a job soon so he can prove to his friend's mom that he's hardworking. I was so shocked I just listened and haven't said how I feel about this whole thing. What would you say to this obviously delusional teen about his grand plans?

I'm not going to type out his whole response but it was basically. Yes, your kid is delusional but nothing you say right now will change that. He's going to have to get this crazy idea out of his head on his own.

What part of this plan is so unbelievable?

That he's not going straight to a 4 year?

That he plans to live out on his own?

I mean, I wasn't supporting myself from the moment HS was over but I was within a year. And I'm not so sure that anything happened in that year that prepared me any more to do so. Needless to say it wasn't seamless from the get go but I obviously survived.

I'm just trying to figure out what is so delusional about this. And, keep in mind, that this guy is typically pretty no BS.

The first thing that comes to mind is there is no mention of who is paying for school. Maybe the kid is delusional to think he can find a job in this economy that will allow him to pay his rent, food, utilities, etc, plus tuition and books? :wacko:

The next question would be what kind of job does he expect to find with a community college education when he will be competing with so many candidates with more prestigious degrees? Total guess though. The question does not say what the parents do for a living, or their expectations of their son. Poor editing job IMO.

Geez, my son is 16 and has worked as a computer tech since he turned 16 for miniumn but keeps getting raises and they opened a new store that he's #2 :tup: he wants to save 13,000.00 by next summer finish his senior year and head ta Cali. I told him maybe he wouldn't need college or go to work for H8, that still cracks him up "Dad you do know that means hate" right son but he hates the right people :wacko:

I don't know which is more pathetic, begging for attention writing stupid sappy letters like this to anyone, or being such a nosey lousy human being you'd want to read them.

You're nothing if not reliable.

Listen man. For the record, I'm done. It used to be somewhat entertaining to go back and forth with you before your exile and name change. But your predictably a-holish act just gets tiring. That is basically why I haven't been replying to most of your posts directed at me of late.

Feel free, of course, to continue to stalk me with your stupid "you make toast" bit as I do know that others here have admitted to that "never getting old". And it would be a shame for you to deprive our huddle brethren that joy.

Just understand that this will likely be the last time I bother responding to you. At least to any bating.

Have a good and peaceful holiday.

You're nothing if not reliable.

Listen man. For the record, I'm done. It used to be somewhat entertaining to go back and forth with you before your exile and name change. But your predictably a-holish act just gets tiring. That is basically why I haven't been replying to most of your posts directed at me of late.

Did you mean to quote me? :wacko:

It used to be somewhat entertaining to go back and forth with you before your exile and name change.

Holy crap, I had no idea. What was the name before, out of curiosity?

And you're saying he was somewhat entertaining at one time?!