[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The 2011 Book Thread

CaP'N GRuNGe

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished Unbroken and all I can say is wow!! I had the flu this weekend and thought I had it bad but what those POW's went through and somehow survived is unbelievable!

Martin is not updating his website until he is finished w Dances. I should go back and reread the series as it has been a few years since I read Feast of Crows!

• 2 weeks later...

End Game: Bobby Fischer's Remarkable Rise And Fall - From America's Brightest Prodigy to the Edge of Madness

I just finished this book. I found it really interesting and a good read. Put this one on the 'unta's recommended list.'

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished The Alexandria Link (Berry), and I liked it.(Yeah, I'm a slow reader but I read a lot at work so it takes a little toll for fun reading).

Looked over at The Venetian Betrayal reviews and not sure I'll pick it up just yet.

Have a lot of time to read after breaking my left fibula and getting a stress fracture on my right ankle... so bound to a wheel chair, recliner and bed makes a good time to catch up on reading for the next 6-8 weeks.

Wife's going to the library today and picking up more books, gonna miss hitting the "Snow Cone Lady" for some goodies :wacko:.

Reading "Point of Impact", the movie Shooter was based off this book.

ETA: I took a leap into a genre I don't normally read and read all the Percy Jackson books in about 1.5 months. Interesting but definitely for kids and a Harry Potter knockoff.

Edited by twiley

I remember A Game of Thrones being crazy good, gonna have to read it again and follow the story form the beginning.

After I read "Relic" by Preston & Child

Listened too: (audible.com and itunes)

The Lost Symbol - Dan Brown

The Confession - John Grisham

The Appeal - John Grisham

Divine Mercy - David Baldacci (didn't realise it was 4th in the Camel Club series - will have to read the first 3 now)

Currently listening to Tom Clancy's Dead or Alive

Currently reading The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo - first in a series of 3 by Stiegg Larrson

I find it really nice to listen to books while I am at the gym working out. Tried listening at night before bed - but it puts me to sleep lol

Have umpteen gillion books to read on my new Nook. Just trying to finish The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo borrowed paperback from a friend then I will dive into my Nook :wacko:

• 1 month later...

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

This book was simply amazing. Really, really amazing. I usually don't go for this type of book as I gravitate toward the sci-fi and fantasy genre. I just wanted something for a change of pace and this was recommended.

An outstanding book.

Just started the 2 part finale to the Dune series that starts after Chapterhouse: Dune

Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune.

As these are based on notes and an outline by Frank Herbert found in an old safe deposit box, I pray they will be decent follow-ups.

• 3 months later...
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

This book was simply amazing. Really, really amazing. I usually don't go for this type of book as I gravitate toward the sci-fi and fantasy genre. I just wanted something for a change of pace and this was recommended.

An outstanding book.

Just picked this up and is waiting on my bookshelf for a bit...

Really enjoying the Preston &Child books. Finished Cabinet of Curiosities and Still Life with Crows and am about 200 pages into Brimstone.

Still working through the Pendergast books. Finished Brimstone, Dance of Death, and The Book of the Dead. About 100 pages into The Wheel of Darkness.

Just finished up two books by Brandon Sanderson (newer Fantasy author most famous for finishing the Wheel of Time series and his own Mistborn trilogy):

Warbreaker : perhaps a little heavy on dialog, but one of the main characters, Lightsong, is written so well, I didn't mind at all. Interesting magic system and it is not your typical fantasy novel. 4/5 stars

The Way of Kings : beginning of a new epic series. Will probably be Sanderson's Wheel of TIme. Really good. Again, an interesting magic system set in an interesting and harsh world. The novel follows 4 main characters: a prince, a slave, a student, and an assassin. It's a beast of a book at 1000 pages, but I flew through it. Sanderson understands leadership, political intrigue, mixed loyalties, etc. and writes them well. Great book. 5/5

I really like this Sanderson guy. I may even take up the Wheel of Time as I've read everything he has available right now.

• 3 weeks later...

I know many have read it already and I'm late to the party but I'm about 250 pages into A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. Just outstanding so far. I don't want to click on the HBO series thread for fear of spoilers.