[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2 suns in the sky

fingfootball

Two Suns? Twin Stars Could Be Visible From Earth By 2012 .

Betelgeuse, one of the night sky's brightest stars, is losing mass, indicating it is collapsing. It could run out of fuel and go super-nova at any time. When that happens, for at least a few weeks, we'd see a second sun, Carter says. There may also be no night during that timeframe

Has anyone else heard this? This would be pretty wild!

that would be pretty frigin' cool.

unfortunately, his claim that it could 'at any time' which seemed to imply that this was going to happen soon, literally means anytime.

At end of article: "Betelgeuse might go up tonight, or it might not be for 100,000 years. We're just not sure."

Well, thanks for narrowing that down for us.

that would be pretty frigin' cool.

unfortunately, his claim that it could 'at any time' which seemed to imply that this was going to happen soon, literally means anytime.

At end of article: "Betelgeuse might go up tonight, or it might not be for 100,000 years. We're just not sure."

Well, thanks for narrowing that down for us.

Technically, in astronomical terms, that is pretty damn narrow :wacko:

Wife is annoyed with me.

Last night while putting the kids to bed, I mentioned to the 5 year-old that Betelgeuse (his favorite star--yes, he has a favorite star (and for those of you playing along at home, his second favorite star is Antares)) is going to explode sometime in the near future. He asked if it could explode tomorrow and I told him that it could explode anytime between tomorrow and a million years from now. But he was all excited that there was a chance that it would explode tomorrow. The 3 year-old was listening to all of this and he started to cry because he doesn't want Betelgeuse to explode. So, then I told him that he would almost certainly die before it exploded and this calmed him down. But then the 5 year-old got upset that he would die before he got to see it explode.

I am an awesome parent.

Wife is annoyed with me.

Last night while putting the kids to bed, I mentioned to the 5 year-old that Betelgeuse (his favorite star--yes, he has a favorite star (and for those of you playing along at home, his second favorite star is Antares)) is going to explode sometime in the near future. He asked if it could explode tomorrow and I told him that it could explode anytime between tomorrow and a million years from now. But he was all excited that there was a chance that it would explode tomorrow. The 3 year-old was listening to all of this and he started to cry because he doesn't want Betelgeuse to explode. So, then I told him that he would almost certainly die before it exploded and this calmed him down. But then the 5 year-old got upset that he would die before he got to see it explode.

I am an awesome parent.

I think it is awesome he has favorite stars. As you know I am a total geek about this stuff. I know these are total hokey gifts but you should totally get him one. If you need help reaching the keyboard, give me a shout.

Wife is annoyed with me.

I am an awesome parent.

wiege --> :wacko: <--- Mrs. wiege

It already happened centuries ago, but we are just about to see it now. :wacko:

Yeah, it would be many centuries at that. Kind of awesome to think about it like that.

When cavemen were running around, and looked up at the night sky and saw the star that became Supernova 1987 (it exploded roughly 168,000 years ago!), it was exploding and they had no idea.

Wife is annoyed with me.

I am an awesome parent.

It's good to see you teach Economics the exact same way you teach Astronomy. The "don't worry about anything because you will be dead before the crap hits the fan" approach works well on many hippie lib issues you support. It's what has kept Social Security going all these years. :wacko: