[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

K-cup Machines...

rocknrobn26

My only experience w/ one was 10 years ago whilst at a cuz of my wife's house. Back then the cost was >$500. I liked it. So I was thinking about getting one as I'd like to have more coffee than just the morning brew. My wife is giving me grief about counter space and my Mom thinks I'm nuts w/ all the gadgets I have. The wife sorta conceded, but if it doesn't work out I'd rather not have the "I told you so's".

I'm considering the Cuisinart SS700 or the Keurig B-70. They both seem similar and both have similar ratings.

Soooo...

Do you have one?

Do you like it?

Does the novelty wear off?

What else do I need to know?

Any suggs appreciated.

TIA

We have a Keurig and its great for that single afternoon cup of coffee.I wouldn't use it to replace the old standard pot of morning coffee, though, if you typcially drink 2+ cups of coffee in the AM...it could get pretty expensive, as those K-Cups go for about 50 cents each if you order through a website like this...more if you buy them retail.

and thats the rub in our family, too: counter space. Because we want a full pot of brewed coffee in the AM, and just a cup in the afternoon, we have both units on the counter taking up space. The wife hates it, though has conceded each have value.

All that said, I love ours. We have a variety of differeent coffees for different tastes, Hot Chocolate K-cups for the kids, tea...you name it, its ready in 30 seconds. We can offer a cup to anyone on a moment's notice. It tastes great since we fill the water cannister with filtered water. Very cool, and after a couple years, the novelty has definitely not worn off.

Do you have one? Mrs. Puddy has the Keurig B70

Do you like it? She frickin' loves the thing

Does the novelty wear off? I think for her it's a matter of convenience and not a novelty (she usually has only 1 cup per morning...plus she likes the variety of coffees to choose from from day to day)

What else do I need to know? That we all love you.

Any suggs appreciated.

Edited by Puddy

• I drink mugs of coffee, not cups.
  • I don't care for flavored coffee.
  • The coffee it brews is substandard
  • Not environmentally friendly
  • Takes up more space than my current coffee maker
  • Coffee becomes much more expensive

IMO the best thing you can learn to do is to learn how to make your coffee with a French press. It makes a great cup of coffee without all the gadgetry.

• I drink mugs of coffee, not cups.

• I don't care for flavored coffee.

• The coffee it brews is substandard

• Not environmentally friendly

• Takes up more space than my current coffee maker

• Coffee becomes much more expensive

IMO the best thing you can learn to do is to learn how to make your coffee with a French press. It makes a great cup of coffee without all the gadgetry.

You do know you can brew your own coffee in most of the models, don't you?

My wife wants to get one & we probably will given we normally don't drink coffee at home and if we do it's only a cup or two each. Plus our kitchen counter space is limited & most of them are smaller than a standard coffee maker. The problem I have with them is that they are ripping consumers off with the price of these things compared to a regular coffee maker. The cheapest one's you can find are still around $80. For that price you can get a pretty damn good regular maker. :wacko:

You do know you can brew your own coffee in most of the models, don't you?

My wife wants to get one & we probably will given we normally don't drink coffee at home and if we do it's only a cup or two each. Plus our kitchen counter space is limited & most of them are smaller than a standard coffee maker. The problem I have with them is that they are ripping consumers off with the price of these things compared to a regular coffee maker. The cheapest one's you can find are still around $80. For that price you can get a pretty damn good regular maker. :wacko:

Yes, but most people won't brew their own. So why pay $80 for the gadget when you can pay $20 for a good French press and make better coffee?

Yes, but most people won't brew their own. So why pay $80 for the gadget when you can pay $20 for a good French press and make better coffee?

I agree personally, but most people don't want to take the time to learn how to use a French press or babysit it to make sure it's done properly. They want to just set it & walk away.

we roll with Kuerigs all 'round work. They are the bomb.

Folk complain about the water somehow getting a bit dirty (those who try to get hot water from the machine rather than using the water cooler) but I have not noticed it.

cool thing is - they've some good teas as well

I agree personally, but most people don't want to take the time to learn how to use a French press or babysit it to make sure it's done properly. They want to just set it & walk away.

Kuerig at work and french press at home.

live is good.

actually got a plastic french press for camping trips a couple years ago. good stuff

I hear ya Kid, but...

This and I don't want the extra clean-ups, just a cup or two in the afternoon. Wife likes afternoon tea and/or hot chocolate, and Mom makes a lot of instant soup for herself 4-5x/ week. It just seems like it could work for us. :wacko:

Do you have one? Mrs. Puddy has the Keurig B70---Been leaning towards that one

Do you like it? She frickin' loves the thing---Cool

Does the novelty wear off? I think for her it's a matter of convenience and not a novelty (she usually has only 1 cup per morning...plus she likes the variety of coffees to choose from from day to day)---Okay

What else do I need to know? That we all love you.--- :tup:You funny!

Any suggs appreciated.

come on. french press makes fine coffee...if you wanna wait for water to boil, grind your coffee, wait for it to steep, and clean up the mess afterward. and while the flavor of the coffee can be great, a lot of people don't necessarily care for all the sediment it tends to leave in the final product. in other words, there are a LOT of very good reasons why the french press wouldn't be the best option for someone.

on the other hand, the k-cup things certainly have their niche, and a lot of people really like them. they are quick, easy, painless and it's easy to keep a variety of "flavors" and such on hand and fairly fresh. they're not something that would really appeal to me, but it seems pretty clear why they would appeal to many folks.

come on. french press makes fine coffee...if you wanna wait for water to boil, grind your coffee, wait for it to steep, and clean up the mess afterward. and while the flavor of the coffee can be great, a lot of people don't necessarily care for all the sediment it tends to leave in the final product. in other words, there are a LOT of very good reasons why the french press wouldn't be the best option for someone.

grinding takes about 1 minute

boiling water takes about 5 minutes

steeping takes 4 minutes

cleaning takes a few minutes. of course, since I make the coffee, my wife does the clean up.

It takes a little time, but I think we all agree...I am so worth it.

My niece and nephew had one in New Mex when I was there. Cool gadget, but if you are a serious coffee lover, horrible cup of coffee. Admittedly they had more breakfast type blends and medium roasts....nothing robust. But even using the 'espresso' setting (less water), it was the weakest coffee I'd ever tasted.

To clarify, I don't like Peet's coffee and I'm not even partial to Starbucks. But if I wanted coffee that tasted like tea.....I'd just have...tea! :wacko:

Just another way to get you to spend too much on a cup of coffee, in my opinion.....lol.

Breville

I have this one and love it. It was expensive at $250 but I had won my fantasy league and splurged. I would get a medium coffee at Tim Hortons almost every night on my way to work. Never go now. So I am saving money, just over a dollar a day, more if you count the added time and drive distance to Tim's.

I like them because it is a consistent cup of good coffee every time. It's quick, clean, and easy.

Is grinding your own and brewing a pot cheaper? Yes, but I would waste half a pot every time. If I tried to make half a pot I would get the grind or water amount wrong and it wouldn't be very good.

The Breville has a pretty big tank which is nice, wish it was even bigger, so a smaller tanked one would really suck. You can set the brew temp and of course auto on/off and default brew size.

It also makes a really good iced coffee with a special setting for that.

It comes with a very nice gold filter "My k-cup" filter so you can have a tupperware container of ground coffee ready. Use the supplied scoop which perfectly fills the filter and you have a great cup of coffee for pennies.

BJ's has 80 count boxes of some k-cups for around 43 cents a cup. I have about 2 cups a day and my wife has 1 and reuses the same k-cup for a refill.

You can't beat hot chocolate made with milk on the stove, but a hot chocolate k-cup is decent enough. You can also just get hot water from the machine for your needs.

Some of the teas are very tasty. Pumpkin Spice coffee is very good. But I really like the Green Mountain regular ole coffee flavored coffee.

We stock up on the flavored varieties from coffeeforless.com

Google for some coupons to get 7-10% of your purchase and usually free shipping at a certain price point.

Edited by satelliteoflovegm

My niece and nephew had one in New Mex when I was there. Cool gadget, but if you are a serious coffee lover, horrible cup of coffee. Admittedly they had more breakfast type blends and medium roasts....nothing robust. But even using the 'espresso' setting (less water), it was the weakest coffee I'd ever tasted.

To clarify, I don't like Peet's coffee and I'm not even partial to Starbucks. But if I wanted coffee that tasted like tea.....I'd just have...tea! :wacko:

Just another way to get you to spend too much on a cup of coffee, in my opinion.....lol.

that's might be true.

grinding takes about 1 minute

boiling water takes about 5 minutes

steeping takes 4 minutes

cleaning takes a few minutes. of course, since I make the coffee, my wife does the clean up.

It takes a little time, but I think we all agree...I am so worth it.

yeah, you're worth a 20 dolla bronze-age tool for making coffee. good for you. :wacko:

if you're ever feeling even more special, you ought to look at a home espresso machine -- gets a helluva lot more out of your coffee than a french press IMO.

yeah, you're worth a 20 dolla bronze-age tool for making coffee. good for you. :wacko:

if you're ever feeling even more special, you ought to look at a home espresso machine -- gets a helluva lot more out of your coffee than a french press IMO.

Sure if you like espresso. However it should be noted that the darker roasts have less caffeine than the lighter roasts so a shot of espresso may not be the perfect solution first thing in the morning.