[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My first speaking engagement

cliaz

I've been having a horrible morning until an email that just came in about 20 minutes ago. The President for Region 3 of the International Association of Emergency Managers has asked if I would like to come up to the University of Maryland to speak on behalf of the Emergency Management program during their career day. Now i know that is very small potatoes but having someone like this woman reach out to me to represent a product of their program is a very big honor. This normally would be fielded by past students with CEM certifications.

The only problem is I can't do public speaking and when I'm nervous I stutter. Apparently there will be 500+ people. Eeeek.

I've been having a horrible morning until an email that just came in about 20 minutes ago. The President for Region 3 of the International Association of Emergency Managers has asked if I would like to come up to the University of Maryland to speak on behalf of the Emergency Management program during their career day. Now i know that is very small potatoes but having someone like this woman reach out to me to represent a product of their program is a very big honor. This normally would be fielded by past students with CEM certifications.

The only problem is I can't do public speaking and when I'm nervous I stutter. Apparently there will be 500+ people. Eeeek.

Souinds fun!! One of my professors from grad school asked me to come and speak to her senior RE Finance class and in my presntation go over the real world applications of some of the stuff they had learned throughout the semester and also give arundown of what my daily routine and experiences from the real world were like.

I'd ask the guy that asked you to speak from what angle he wants you to attack this. Find a way to incorporate what they learned into things that you have done on a daily basis. Also, remember, you have done, experinced what they want to do, you know more about it than they do, you should not feel uneasy about relaying your stories.

Ugh, one of my biggest fears as well. Good luck man.

Souinds fun!! One of my professors from grad school asked me to come and speak to her senior RE Finance class and in my presntation go over the real world applications of some of the stuff they had learned throughout the semester and also give arundown of what my daily routine and experiences from the real world were like.

I'd ask the guy that asked you to speak from what angle he wants you to attack this. Find a way to incorporate what they learned into things that you have done on a daily basis. Also, remember, you have done, experinced what they want to do, you know more about it than they do, you should not feel uneasy about relaying your stories.

:tup: good advice, thanks Ugly Old :wacko:

Ugh, one of my biggest fears as well. Good luck man.

Thanks, man. I hate it but really want to do this. I may pop a couple of percs before heading up on stage.

Easy to say, can be tough to put in practice, but... RELAX!!!

1) Do you know what you're talking about? (Hint: somebody else thinks you do)

2) They asked YOU to do this for a reason.

I've been a Software Trainer for over 6 years, and getting in front of hundreds of people can be very daunting. My advise (FWIW):

- Start off with a small joke everybody will get. Lighten the mood. Ask them to turn phones to silent mode (show them you're in control/the leader for the time they're in your room) and set any other ground rules (please hold questions until the end, etc). Then move right into your topic.

- Explain what you're going to talk about. People like to know where they're going. If there's an agenda for breaks, show them the agenda.

- Remember the Three T's - Tell them what you're about to talk about, Tell them, then Tell them again (summarize). Something about people having to be told three times for them to remember.

- If you don't have an answer, tell them you'll get one (and don't panic or worry). Hopefully, you'll have somebody onsite who can take notes for you. If not, come prepared to take your own notes.

- Silence is NOT a bad thing when speaking. It lets those who have lost focus regain their attention on you.

- Do NOT use a podium if possible. If you have one, step away from it as often as possible without looking uncomfortable. Use your hands to gesture naturally like you would when explaining to your kids about changing a tire.

- Try and be as aware as possible of using "ummm", "y'know", etc. and avoid them like the Panthers offense did with the end zone this past year.

- Show your passion for the subject. This can trump everything else.

- Have fun. If you have to ask a person from the audience for help to solve a problem or volunteer, refer to them as your "Vanna White" for the day. Even if it's a guy. Nothing over the top, just quick hits on humor to keep things loose, but still focused.

- Stay away from hot topics - politics, wars, etc. Nothing good ever comes from these topics.

Just my :wacko:

Hope it works out well for you. Good Luck!

Great advice, thank you all 10x over.

I wasn't given anything specific but I was planning on covering the following:

Why I selected UMUC and the EM degree path

The benefits of the program and how the professors treated me through each stage

How it began to change my career starting from the first EM class I took

How I've implemented what I've learned into my career

Explain the positive impacts the EM program has had on myself

My future outlook and the potential for each student existing the program

How I have silver bells now ever since the ball hair began changing colors

I used to be terrified of speaking in front of groups. I purposely took classes in college where verbal presentation was required.

I echo the plan that you practice your speech repeatedly. Do so in front of a mirror and in front of friends/family and listen to their feedback. If you can, visit the actual site where you'll be giving the speech and even better, practice the speech at that site.

Only open with a simple joke that you have tried out on people beforehand. You don't want to open with a joke and the response is silence.

Let me start you off...

"Hi, I'm Cliaz. Speaking of Emergency Management....I rear ended a midget with my car today. He got out and said "I am not happy"; then I said, "Well then which dwarf are you?"

Edited by TimC

It's mostly about confidence. If you arm yourself with as much knowledge on the topic as you possibly can, then when you arrive to speak you can just remind yourself that you are indeed an expert on the subject. Knowing that you are an expert giving the listeners a gift of some of your knowledge might help.

Only open with a simple joke that you have tried out on people beforehand. You don't want to open with a joke and the response is silence.

Good point. Maybe "joke" was a poor choice of word. How about... find something generic everybody can relate to in some way, and try and find something humorous about it. I like to stick to weather related comments. "If we get another day of rain, I'm building an ark!" or "With this nice weather, what do you say we hold this meeting outside today?" I am guessing he's not having his meeting at The Funny Bone...

Oh... and if you're using PowerPoint slides, do NOT read them (even kinda-sorta) word-for-word - try to paraphrase when you can. Chances are they're reading your slides word-for-word (visual learning) and hearing it a second/different way (auditory learning) can reinforce your message. Only thing missing is tactile learning (the "doing"), and if you can incorporate that somehow, you've covered all three learning styles and create a memorable experience.

Smithers: I have some sad news to report. A small puppy, not unlike Lassie, was just run over in the parking lot.

(Audience gasps)

Smithers: And now it's time for the comedy stylings of Homer Simpson!

Homer: Are you ready to laugh?

Man: That poor dog.

Homer: Are you ready to laugh? I said, are you ready to laugh!?

Lady: Quiet, you awful man.

Homer: You know, Mr. Burns is so cheap.

Mr. Burns: Whaaat?

Homer: I mean...Mr. Burns is so old--

Mr. Burns: How dare you!

Homer: Woo hoo, tough crowd.

1. Weigh carefully if you want to start with a joke. If you flop, you will lose confidence.

2. Practice the beginning of your talk...you need to build confidence.

3. Bullchit like seeing the audience in their underwear is bullchit.

more later

Edited by MojoMan

1. Weigh carefully if you want to start with a joke. If you flop, you will lose confidence.

2. Practice the beginning of your talk...you need to build confidence.

3. Bullchit like seeing the audience in their underwear is bullchit.

more later

Another well put observation. What works for one person, may or may not for another. One of my strengths is using humor to get people to relax and involved. Depending on what your message may be, there are all kinds of intros you could use. Start with some attention getting facts: 7 out of 10 grads are employed within 6 months, etc. Ask some simple (rhetorical?) questions: who here knows what blah blah blah is about... OK, some are familiar with blah blah blah...