[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Adrian Peterson: NFL is like "modern-day slavery"

kpholmes

I for one am getting damn near the end of the rope with this crap. I have no problem walking away from watching NFL football again. College isnt bad to watch. I really enjoy NFL football, but with the whining and bitching both sides are doing, Im about over contributing to them making money. I know there are a lot more people out there that are thinking along the same lines too.

Listeing to sports radio here, a guy was telling the story of his father having season tickets for 40 years for th Donkeys and refused to renew them this year because he was so sick of it.

If the NFL is losing these kinds of guys, they'd better get their asses to a conference room and work this thing through, no matter how many 16 hour days they need to do it.

Plus one to both of these. I've been inching that way before this even started going down. The only reason I even watched last year was because, to me, it's free. I don't buy league gear, go to games, or pay anything extra to watch it on TV. The cost to me is enduring commercials.

However, if there is no football this year, I will likely just move on.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plus one to both of these. I've been inching that way before this even started going down. The only reason I even watched last year was because, to me, it's free. I don't buy league gear, go to games, or pay anything extra to watch it on TV. The cost to me is enduring commercials.

And will not come back. I know its different, but ever since Baseball went on strike, I havent been much a fan since. The same will follow with football. I have more important things to worry about in life than a bunch of rich pu$$ies crying about millions/billions of dollars while the rest of the world struggles to put food on the table.

Im getting pissed off just typing all this.

Frankly, I think it's far easier for the NFL owners to find a few thousand competant, able-bodied football players than it is for the ex-Players to somehow band together and form an entirely new league from scratch.

And the ex-players starting their own league is a fantasy at best. Even if they did pool their money or find outside investments, they take years to set up a new league infrastructure and then they end up right back at square one, except this time THEY are the owners (as their skin is now in the game) or their new investors are now their new owners (who will demand a return on that investment) and they're not going to want to happily share it evenly (or skewed to the players' favor) with all the new players they'll eventually need. All the while they won't have the stadiums, reach, marketing, TV deals, history, or capital/revenue to compete with the NFL. Will that new league have a players' union? Will that union include the players that are now player-owners? How does that dynamic work?

Meanwhile, every year Division 1A football alone sheds more football players than the NFL can hold. Traditionally, maybe 20% of those people get drafted, and even fewer actually end up on a team. There's more than enough bodies to get football started, even if it takes a couple years for the talent level to get back to where it was. The current owners could fill their teams offering half the money they currently do (and could probably get some now ex-players to jump right back at that offer-- I mean, what are their other options?).

I would argue that supply in this argument favors the owners far more than it favors the players.

I would argue that supply in this argument favors the owners far more than it favors the players.

I'm pretty sure you're right. Also, regardless of the potential loss of the $4m war chest the owners apparently squirreled away, they (being billionaires) can surely last out for a lot longer than most of the players (being mere millionaires and many of them not close to that). By July at the latest, there will be severe cracks in the NFLPA membership with broke players pressing to get a deal done.

While I'm sure there are many owners who are very active in the operations, it seems like most of the "best" ones delegate the truly important day to day operations to hired executives. Why could the players not do this? I think everyone has this image of Adrian Peterson sitting behind a desk making the hard decisions that executives need to make. Sure, that image is a great way to remind yourself that you're correct in thinking this would never work. Unfortunately, it's not exactly accurate.

Many athletes can't manage their own financial affairs. Its difficult to imagine that they can make responsible decisions on behalf of other persons or entities.

By July at the latest, there will be severe cracks in the NFLPA membership with broke players pressing to get a deal done.

Good point, but remember that players only get weekly camp money until the regular season starts - that's when the contracted salary paychecks start coming in. Still, workout bonuses, camp bonuses, attendance bonuses, roster bonuses etc can be substantial.

Good point, but remember that players only get weekly camp money until the regular season starts - that's when the contracted salary paychecks start coming in. Still, workout bonuses, camp bonuses, attendance bonuses, roster bonuses etc can be substantial.

Exactly - with none of those things coming in this year (I assume) until a deal gets done, a substantial number of players are likely broke already.

Frankly, I think it's far easier for the NFL owners to find a few thousand competant, able-bodied football players than it is for the ex-Players to somehow band together and form an entirely new league from scratch.

And the ex-players starting their own league is a fantasy at best. Even if they did pool their money or find outside investments, they take years to set up a new league infrastructure and then they end up right back at square one, except this time THEY are the owners (as their skin is now in the game) or their new investors are now their new owners (who will demand a return on that investment) and they're not going to want to happily share it evenly (or skewed to the players' favor) with all the new players they'll eventually need. All the while they won't have the stadiums, reach, marketing, TV deals, history, or capital/revenue to compete with the NFL. Will that new league have a players' union? Will that union include the players that are now player-owners? How does that dynamic work?

Meanwhile, every year Division 1A football alone sheds more football players than the NFL can hold. Traditionally, maybe 20% of those people get drafted, and even fewer actually end up on a team. There's more than enough bodies to get football started, even if it takes a couple years for the talent level to get back to where it was. The current owners could fill their teams offering half the money they currently do (and could probably get some now ex-players to jump right back at that offer-- I mean, what are their other options?).

I'm pretty sure you're right. Also, regardless of the potential loss of the $4m war chest the owners apparently squirreled away, they (being billionaires) can surely last out for a lot longer than most of the players (being mere millionaires and many of them not close to that). By July at the latest, there will be severe cracks in the NFLPA membership with broke players pressing to get a deal done.

yup, and yup. most of the value lies with the league. the franchises, the history, the facilities and many of the stadiums, the TV and merchandise deals, and so on. what the players own? that has a relatively short shelf life, and a replacement cost that's not as high as many of them might wish to believe. I don't believe they're holding as many cards as they think. they can hurt the owners, for sure, but not without hurting themselves even more.

And will not come back. I know its different, but ever since Baseball went on strike, I havent been much a fan since. The same will follow with football. I have more important things to worry about in life than a bunch of rich pu$$ies crying about millions/billions of dollars while the rest of the world struggles to put food on the table.

Took long enough but nice to see at least a few people FINALLY catching on. Been saying all this for many years. Sadly this will never be more than a small minority, but it's a start...

Die NFL, die! Your spoiled, snotty, thug-laced sorry arse is long overdue to be pushed off a cliff - it'd be that much better to see you jump all on your own.

Most athletes shouldn't speak. Usually it's either boring or cliche-ridden, occasionally it's absurd like this. I sort of see where he was going with his comments, can't say I agree, but I don't think he would intend to make a literal comparison to slavery. He's just really inarticulate, stupid, and ignorant. Who cares though, he sure can run.

Took long enough but nice to see at least a few people FINALLY catching on. Been saying all this for many years. Sadly this will never be more than a small minority, but it's a start...

Die NFL, die! Your spoiled, snotty, thug-laced sorry arse is long overdue to be pushed off a cliff - it'd be that much better to see you jump all on your own.

+1

if the NFL dies, then no one will beat Randy Moss's single season TD record.

I think Mendenhall is exactly right. I mean, back in the antebellum days, you couldn't get into a Savannah strip club for all the slaves in there with their posses making it rain dollar bills. Those plantation owners paid their guys real well.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6228005

This doesn't count roster bonuses, most of which are paid in June/July tmeframe.

Not to mention the 500 or so free agents that are now in limbo but know that signing bonuses are just within reach.

We all know the majority of these athletes don't budget or save well. This thing is going to get done quickly once players start caving. Brees can put on a great show all he wants, he's not going to start loaning money out to the guys that can't pay for their cars.

Well, this just reinforces my point in another thread of how great the NFL is in that it allows some people who have a serious shortage of mental capability to make a fortune despite their shortcomings. It's also why a guy like De Smith manipulates them so easily and can convince them they are getting screwed despite how almost any reasonable person would consider the players extraordinarily fortunate.

I think Mendenhall is exactly right. I mean, back in the antebellum days, you couldn't get into a Savannah strip club for all the slaves in there with their posses making it rain dollar bills. Those plantation owners paid their guys real well.

What do you know about Savannah titty bars?

It's beyond idiocy how anybody could possibly spin the NFL and slavery together. Players have a choice to play. Its pure rubbish. Why don't they just hire Jesse Jackson or Farrakhan as there union rep....oh wait...maybe they did. You can link all the bs books, articles and quotes you want. It amazes me how some of you fall for this propaganda garbage.

Can you see why the correlation between the institution of slavery and a profession where the minimum salary is more than most people make in 5 years is patently absurd?

Oh wait, I forgot you just vomit one-liners and links without engaging in debate.

Well, I suppose that might make a little sense if, setting aside the fame, handsome compensation and other benefits a professional football player receives, becoming a member of an NFL team wasn't completely voluntary.

Peterson and Mendenhall are, to put it charitably, stupid assclowns. They should be ashamed and humiliated, but they obviously lack the wherewithawal to comprehend the inanity of their statements.

On second thought, they are just plain dumb motherf*ckers.

+1

In addition to the fact that they should be ashamed of their stupidity, they're also downplaying how bad slavery really was. I don't know how bad it was, but it's gotta be a lot worse than making millions of dollars.

There is a good exhibit at the Smithsonian. They have lots of pictures taken from that time, first-hand accounts, and a replica of slave quarters that you can walk through. If it doesn't move you, you have no soul. I would recommend that these players take a tour and then see if they change their opinion.

Slavery is up there with torture and genocide. It has no place whatsoever in a discussion of NFL labor conditions.