[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Crapola

bushwacked

Just tried to electronically file my tax returns and got a message my info can't be filed because someone else with the same SS# has already filed 2010 taxes. :wacko:

Don't know if this is a simple mistake on someone else's part or potentially identity theft. I'll call the IRS tomorrow but not too optimistic about a quick resolution and frankly worried about other potential issues. .

Anyone ever deal with this?

Just tried to electronically file my tax returns and got a message my info can't be filed because someone else with the same SS# has already filed 2010 taxes. :wacko:

Don't know if this is a simple mistake on someone else's part or potentially identity theft. I'll call the IRS tomorrow but not too optimistic about a quick resolution and frankly worried about other potential issues. .

What is your SS#? I will double check to make sure I did not file as you.

Probably some "undocumented" worker, sorry you're have to deal with that.

Anyone besides the peanut gallery have experience in this happening? :wacko: Our credit reports as of today show nothing fishy.

Double checked to make sure we weren't double filing at all (we don't have state income which apparently is a problem sometime in turbo tax when you e-file). Our SS#'s are indeed correct as we double checked and didn't re-enter anyway this year since turbo tax uses last multiple years info anyways.......

Edited by bushwacked

I bet the company who hired this guy even used E-Verify to make sure the illegal using your SS# was good to work in the US.

Anyone besides the peanut gallery have experience in this happening? :wacko: Our credit reports as of today show nothing fishy.

Double checked to make sure we weren't double filing at all (we don't have state income which apparently is a problem sometime in turbo tax when you e-file). Our SS#'s are indeed correct as we double checked and didn't re-enter anyway this year since turbo tax uses last multiple years info anyways.......

Read an article on this exact subject yesterday. People are apparently filing early under other people's names, then collecting the electronic refund.

I have & this is not good for you. When filing for 2008, in 2009, my accountant put my ss# on my son's return. He has the same name & was filing the EZ form. The IRS system processed my son's $600 refund first & then mine raised the red flag. EIGHT phones calls over 6 months & I finally got someone on the phone there, who gave a crap, in addition to knowing what they were doing. I received my substantially larger refund that December, I filed in March. :tup::wacko:

Start calling.

I have & this is not good for you. When filing for 2008, in 2009, my accountant put my ss# on my son's return. He has the same name & was filing the EZ form. The IRS system processed my son's $600 refund first & then mine raised the red flag. EIGHT phones calls over 6 months & I finally got someone on the phone there, who gave a crap, in addition to knowing what they were doing. I received my substantially larger refund that December, I filed in March. :lol::wacko:

Start calling.

Great.... :tup:

Just got off the phone with the IRS, doesn't sound like the rep thought this was an accident. I have to paper file my returns w/ an identify theft affidavit. And I'm supposed to notify the federal trade commission, SS office, one major credit bureau, and the file a report with the local police.

F'n great. I'll be lucky if the only thing that happened is having to wait a long time for my return. At least my credit report as of today doesn't look fishy.

Can you put some sort of alert on your credit file, in case someone does try to open new credit in your name?

Yup, fraud alert in place...that was very easy. Actually the IRS guy was very helpful and it's been easy to notify all the necessary agencies.

Great.... :wacko:

Just got off the phone with the IRS, doesn't sound like the rep thought this was an accident. I have to paper file my returns w/ an identify theft affidavit. And I'm supposed to notify the federal trade commission, SS office, one major credit bureau, and the file a report with the local police.

F'n great. I'll be lucky if the only thing that happened is having to wait a long time for my return. At least my credit report as of today doesn't look fishy.

That really sucks. I hope you're able to resolve this quickly.