[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone have an iPad?

MikesVikes

Funny story - My wife stood in line for 8 hours to get the new iPad 2 at the Apple store in a nearby mall. After a few hours of people asking them what they were waiting in line for - it turned into 100's by late in the day - my wife got tired of explaining it and having people act snooty that anyone would stand in line all day for an iPad. So she and the people around her started saying that Justin Bieber was showing up and then everyone got all excited. Suddenly there were sub 16-year old girls starting to gather and squeal and the mall security told them to stop doing that because it was not funny and it was causing "a situation".

People snort at someone wanting an iPad 2 and yet get giggly and excited about Justin Bieber - go figure.

Each of the Special Ed teachers got an iPad 2, but they had to wait quite awhile to get them. I think that it took so long to get them that they changed the order from an original iPad to the iPad 2. I noticed that I have to wait much longer for her to take her Facebook scrabble turn. But it is a cool machine.

Funny story - My wife stood in line for 8 hours to get the new iPad 2 at the Apple store in a nearby mall. After a few hours of people asking them what they were waiting in line for - it turned into 100's by late in the day - my wife got tired of explaining it and having people act snooty that anyone would stand in line all day for an iPad. So she and the people around her started saying that Justin Bieber was showing up and then everyone got all excited. Suddenly there were sub 16-year old girls starting to gather and squeal and the mall security told them to stop doing that because it was not funny and it was causing "a situation".

People snort at someone wanting an iPad 2 and yet get giggly and excited about Justin Bieber - go figure.

So...wait...Justin Bieber sold you an Ipad? How cool is that?

I would contend that the iPad 2 is what the world would have built as the first personal computer if only the technology existed at the time. It is super easy to use, very fast and very slick.

I don't get the whole iPad thing ... seems to me like a very clever ploy by Apple to get people to buy something they don't need.

yes, one of the most innovative and inspiring devices ever created is really just a clever ploy ... it's all a conspiracy!!!

My youngest kid is a freshman in college this year. When he looked at the iPad he saw that he could get every textbook he needs on-line and lots of apps that he could use for school. It might be cheaper to get an iPad than pay for all his books every semester.

The only draw back is that Jessie Jackson thinks that America will be damned if we don't all cut down our fair share of trees. Yea we don't want others to destroy the rain forest but we need to cut down our trees to save civilization. Go figure. :wacko:

yes, one of the most innovative and inspiring devices ever created is really just a clever ploy ... it's all a conspiracy!!!

Innovative? Really? It is just a bigger version of a product they already had ... you call that innovation? And it is a scaled down laptop.

I still don't get it ... it is an expensive toy.

Innovative? Really? It is just a bigger version of a product they already had ... you call that innovation? And it is a scaled down laptop.

I still don't get it ... it is an expensive toy.

It blows away what I can do on my laptop and it weighs about 4lbs less. I don't even know where to begin - each week I find an app or function that makes my life easier on the go.

Will I use it to do heavy work - no

Will I use it to virtually control my entire house through the click of an app which loads in half a second - yes

Like it or not, it's the future of portable computing.

It blows away what I can do on my laptop and it weighs about 4lbs less. I don't even know where to begin - each week I find an app or function that makes my life easier on the go.

Will I use it to do heavy work - no

Will I use it to virtually control my entire house through the click of an app which loads in half a second - yes

Like it or not, it's the future of portable computing.

Curious, what do you mean by "control your house"?

I can tell you all this, I was up until recently a person who felt that apple products were too expensive for what they are. However, I have been won over big time by apple.

I bought the iPad to use with some of their speech apps so my son could communicate with us (he is non-verbal). Both of my kids took to the iPad very quickly and love it.

I then purchased apple TV and use my iPad to control the apple TV and to stream itunes to our TVs in the house. I just purchased a second apple TV for the bedroom so my wife can have netflixs in there as well.

I will be buying 2 additional iPads next month (I get the write the cost off at the end of the year on taxes) so my daughter and son will have their own and my wife and I will have one.

Most importantly the iPad has change the bathroom ritual for me. I just bring the old iPad in and have the whole world at my finger tips while pooping :wacko:

Curious, what do you mean by "control your house"?

- All audio and video controlled through the ipad via Air Play, Remote, and RoRemote (apple TV, roku, itunes, etc.)

- remote access to all computers, meaning when I'm too lazy to go into my office I can launch an app to control it from my Ipad :wacko:

- mirror video on computers, saves HD space on ipad

- Two things I can do - one is to view movies already loaded onto my computer or I can stick a DVD into the computer then mirror it on my ipad

- soon to be security system viewable through ipad

- Track all iphones and ipads on my account and either lock them or wipe them remotely (yeah, Big Brother there)

Not to mention Netflix, Pandora, TuneIn Radio, and every other amazing app out there.

Basically, it's a universal remote for everything in the house and then some. :tup:

I bought the iPad to use with some of their speech apps so my son could communicate with us (he is non-verbal). Both of my kids took to the iPad very quickly and love it.

My wife is excited about the iPad for this reason. My grandson is autistic and they have a ton of apps for that. Kids respond very well to this.

This morining, I was with my grandson while the rest of the family was in meeting with the doctors. He didn't want to play with the toys they had and wanted to run around and look at everything and in every room. I pulled out the iPad and he watched a Toy Story read along. He calmed down and watched it. Otherwise he would've been still running around and would have been still chasing him around the building for an hour.

Edited by MikesVikes

My wife is excited about the iPad for this reason. My grandson is autistic and they have a ton of apps for that. Kids respond very well to this.

This morining, I was with my grandson while the rest of the family was in meeting with the doctors. He didn't want to play with the toys they had and wanted to run around and look at everything and in every room. I pulled out the iPad and he watched a Toy Story read along. He calmed down and watched it. Otherwise he would've been still running around and would have been still chasing him around the building for an hour.

I recommend icommunicate, any of the picture apps for non-verbals, and i need to get you the name of the app we use for him around the house that speaks just like a little boy. iPad is an amazing device to the autism and fragile x community.

I recommend icommunicate, any of the picture apps for non-verbals, and i need to get you the name of the app we use for him around the house that speaks just like a little boy. iPad is an amazing device to the autism and fragile x community.

Thanks. This is autism awareness month and the Mrs. found lots of apps that are free this month also.