[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Name the biggest scumbag in sports

Bronco Billy

I realize that it's a slippery slope and that it would have to be very carefully judged so as not to cross the line into punishing big hits that became paralyzing blows because of fate. However, I can't see why sports should be completely immune from assault charges. If they made it so any reasonable person looking at the tape could see, plain and simple that this was not a normal play gone wrong but really an act with specific intent to assault, then I think it should be charged. That won't make players scared of playing rough, that will just stop them from being total thugs.

Your stockbroker is not going to be afraid to invest your money as long as you can only sue him if it is obvious he was guilty of fraud rather than simply being the guy who advised you to put your money into something that you took a bath on for innocent enough reasons. Same difference here.

Yeah I understand that. But both of those hockey instances showed that the victim had his back to the guy and got hit in the head without ever seeing the punch (or the stick) coming. They were completely unable to defend themselves. I think it's easy when seeing these particular cases, to simply use our judgment and to know that this was not part of normal play, or even part of the accepted fighting aspect of hockey. These were instances that clearly and easily fell outside of what could be acceptable. I thought that McSorley might have even been prosecuted, but I guess not. I know that wherever this took place in Canada was ready to press charges... maybe that just never materialized. It was a while ago, and my memory has been soaked in beer for a loooooooong time. :wacko:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why I was thinking :wacko: that Clausen's name in the same breath as these guys... Since when did being a Showtime Rotisseriey brat diva mean you're on a road to being a pos scumbag like the guys mentioned in this thread?

You need to re-read the initial post - I don't think anyone thinks Matt Kofler was one of the biggest scumbags in sports either.

The gist was drawing parallels between a couple different situations where teams drafted one QB high, and then drafted another high, and in both previous cases they got it right the 2nd time, which bodes ill for Clausen.

In the article, the writer referred to Art Schilcter as the "biggest scumbag in sports" - and then the discussion commenced. Clausen/Newton/etc mentioned in the initial article have NOTHING to do with who may or may not be the biggest scumbag in sports.

This explanation was brought to you by Reading Is Fundamental.

It's either Roger Staubach or Tom Landry.........I'll let DMD decide. :wacko:

If you're really looking for the gun, you should've thrown Emmy Smith in as well.

....I thought that McSorley might have even been prosecuted, but I guess not. I know that wherever this took place in Canada was ready to press charges... maybe that just never materialized. It was a while ago, and my memory has been soaked in beer for a loooooooong time. :wacko:

I think the Canadian courts decided that goon-on-goon violence is acceptable, so long as it remains on the rink.

That's the funny thing about some of the more memorable examples of hockey goonery - Domi sucker-punching Samuelsson, McSorley head-hacking Brasher - is that the "victims" weren't exactly Mother Teresa on skates. You've gotta be quite the ass hole to make DONALD BRASHEAR a sympathetic figure. Fortunately, McSorley was up to the task.

I think the Canadian courts decided that goon-on-goon violence is acceptable, so long as it remains on the rink.

A good friend of mine lives in Canada and his 6 year-old got into a fight while playing organized youth hockey -- up there they let 'em go. :wacko:

I don't dispute any of this, but he was convicted of conspiracy to commit murder, he didn't murder anyone.

well then allow me to be convicted of a conspiracy to call you a dumbass

Edited by wiegie

No he wasn't. It was a boarding by Maxim Talbot in the previous game that got the Islanders panties in a bunch.

:wacko: ya, Cooke was the cause!

yes, Talbot had hit Comeau and gave him a nice concussion which took Comeau out for three games....it wasn't boarding.

but in an earlier game in the year Cooke ran DiPietro TWICE. then in the game preceeding the "brawl game" Cooke buzzed by DiPietro for no reason when Pitt had a comfortable lead. So DiPietro took a swipe at him and Brent Johnson came to Cooke's defense for some reason, resulting in the one punch knockout for Brent Johnson on Rick.

Talbot was a factor, but Cooke got it all started.

i'm guessing Cooke was happy he was suspended during that game on the Island.

Edited by rebdog

:wacko: ya, Cooke was the cause!

yes, Talbot had hit Comeau and gave him a nice concussion which took Comeau out for three games....it wasn't boarding.

but in an earlier game in the year Cooke ran DiPietro TWICE. then in the game preceeding the "brawl game" Cooke buzzed by DiPietro for no reason when Pitt had a comfortable lead. So DiPietro took a swipe at him and Brent Johnson came to Cooke's defense for some reason, resulting in the one punch knockout for Brent Johnson on Rick.

Talbot was a factor, but Cooke got it all started.

i'm guessing Cooke was happy he was suspended during that game on the Island.

I dont follow Hockey at all but based on this post and boredom just did some youtube searches. Cooke is an interesting cat to say the least. There is one video that shows Cooke ran Dipietro 3 times . Then the Goalie fight was pretty quick. I saw a related search where Cooke gets KO'd with one shot by this young Evander fellow. I wish I followed hockey more after watching some of this stuff. Just spent the last half hour watching Domi fights and Probert fights . Great stuff

Just spent the last half hour watching Domi fights and Probert fights . Great stuff

probert in his prime was one of the best, but

in the 96 playoffs is how I will always remember him. I still say that 96 hawks/avs matchup is the best playoff series I have ever seen. Edited by Azazello1313

probert in his prime was one of the best, but
in the 96 playoffs is how I will always remember him. I still say that 96 hawks/avs matchup is the best playoff series I have ever seen.

the NHL misses its goons.