[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A Long Drive

SheikYerbuti

Thursday morning I threw the last of my belongings in the car and took off from New Jersey. We drove for 42 hours straight across the country via Route 80, then Route 76 and 70, and finally Route 15 to our new home.

Most of the drive was butt ugly, but I have to say I was awestruck by Colorado. It was my first time there, and I can not find words for how beautiful I thought it was. The Rocky Mountains, the canyons, the wine country. . .one sight more amazing than the last. I think it's the most beautiful place I've ever been. Seriously.

I remember driving due west on I-70 out of Kansas City about 15 years ago. Some of the hardest, craziest rain evah. Drove through Kansas and the interstate was literally straight for miles and miles and miles. Even through eastern Colorado. Bor-ing... and then BAM you hit a curve and are basically in Denver and BAM it's gorgeous.

I must say, though, in all of my domestic automobile travels (and it's a lot), I was most pleasantly surprised by New Mexico. I fancied it to be like Arizona or Nevada. Au contraire. It was lovely.

Congrats on the move out to Sin City. Maybe if I make it out to Vegas for whatever high-stakes draft we're in, we can meet up. :tup::wacko:

bastage! i am 2 minutes off of 70 in the mountains!

Yeah, we debated whether to stop in Denver and say hi, but with 2 nervous cats in the car and a pantload of things to get done before my parents land for a visit on Monday, we decided to go for the 2600 mile straight shot.

On my way from San Diego to Little Creek via Fargo, I cut through Kentucky (I was headed for Slayersville) and western Virginia. It was beautiful. I didn't expect to enjoy the scenery of Utah as much as I did, either.

I didn't expect to enjoy the scenery of Utah as much as I did, either.

Utah is interesting. Driving through Southern Utah is like driving on the surface of the moon. It's hundreds of miles of rocks and craters and valleys. No cell phone service, no gas stations, no lights, no living creatures. Nothing. If you're low on gas and it's nighttime, it's really pretty scary.

Utah is interesting. Driving through Southern Utah is like driving on the surface of the moon. It's hundreds of miles of rocks and craters and valleys. No cell phone service, no gas stations, no lights, no living creatures. Nothing. If you're low on gas and it's nighttime, it's really pretty scary.

During the road trip I referenced earlier in this thread, my buddy and I drove through northeast Arizona (from Denver to Grand Canyon), which is all reservation land. Yeah, talk about feeling like you're on another planet. Driving through at night was crazy. No lights anywhere.

I love EVERYTHING about it. I can't put into words how much I love this town.

I think I would to. With the real estate prices out there, it is very tempting. 5-star dining, 5-star shows, 5-star hotels...what's not to love. I just worry I'd be broke in a month. I'm not so sure I could curtail my gambling addiction. :wacko:

I think Colorado gets an artificial bump because you have to drive through a wasteland known as Western Nebraska for about 7 hours before you hit CO. Really, anything looks like a paradise after seeing nothing for one fourth of a day (although I've heard that Oklahoma and Texas are worse in areas). :wacko: