[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Spanking your kid is a crime

jetsfan

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will die before I give up my 18 YO Ukrainian nanny.

Not sure why, but the Bosnian nannies seem to have cornered the market in my 'hood - all in search of "rich American husband." I get the distinct impression that, if I were single, I'd be hip deep in eastern European nanny ass.

ditto.

Hey, let's assume all parents love their kids and want their kids to be well mannered. If you can attain that result without hitting, isn't that something worth striving for?

There's more than being well mannered. There's keeping them alive.

I have 2 girls - 19 & 17 yrs old. I spanked both of them, but I have spanked neither more times than I could count on one hand in their entire lives. I also did not spank either girl beyond the age of 8 (and did not have the need to). However, in the course of their cognitive development there are times when treating them like little adults just did not make enough of an immediate impact when needed.

One example - despite being warned multiple times about stopping at the road's edge and looking both ways before crossing the street, the oldest at the age of 6 chased a ball out into the street without so much as a thought to reducing her running speed, much less stopping and looking both ways. My response was immediate - I took her to the curb and administered a spanking on the backside. She of course immediately ran into the house, into her room, and cried her eyes out. After a short while, I went into her room, hugged her, told her I still loved her, and explained why she got spanked. Afterwards, she never once (nor did her younger sister after seeing the consequences) ran into the street again, but rather every time stopped aand looked both ways for traffic before going into the street for any reason.

Given her age, reasoning ability at that age, and the potential consequences of her not obeying every time give the circumstances, applying a hand to the butt was the most effective way to get her to learn the lesson being taught.

So, how evil do you think I was for using spanking as a parenting tool in this instance, yo? Do I deserve a special place in the burning pits of Hell for having the audacity to apply my hand forcefully to my daughters backside for that?

BTW - despite being a spanker, rather than speaking for myself, I'll allow DW to speak to my daughters' behavior. Spanking was a parenting tool that I used sparingly (and hence much more effectively) when I needed to get a particular point across quickly and have it retained irrevocably.

1. There's more than being well mannered. There's keeping them alive.

2. So, how evil do you think I was for using spanking as a parenting tool in this instance, yo? Do I deserve a special place in the burning pits of Hell for having the audacity to apply my hand forcefully to my daughters backside for that?

1. Thank you, Captain Obvious.

2. Let it go. You don't care what I think.

1. Thank you, Captain Obvious.

2. Let it go. You don't care what I think.

:wacko:

You were having some real fun responding right up to now. What happened?

BTW - FWIW I don't agree with very many self-righteous absolutists like yourself.

Look deeper into the issue of a misbehaved child and sometimes you will realize that part of the problem is you as the parent. My kids are absolute Angels in school. The teachers say they never ever give them discipline problems. When they are out with other kids on play dates etc. we rarely get a report of very bad behavior from a parent yet when they are home, especially my little one, their horns come out.

I have girls so I dont whack them. If I had boys I probably would. Caveman rationalle ? Probably but so be it. The biggest problem in my house is the non united front between me and my wife. I am by no means the perfect parent . I have a bad temper and a short fuse. I honestly do think the problem with the non united front though lies with my wife. She is more interested in being their best friend than an authority figure and as they are getting older they have no "fear " of her and since she is with them a lot more than me , she is their main disciplinarian in our house. Truth be told I wish my wife would whack them once in a while. I am not talking pops in the grill brentastic style, I am talking of the backhand get your attention on the butt style. My wife will never do it. I have been telling her for years that she needs to firm up because the kids have no fear of her and dont see her as an authority figure. They see me as that . I am "the heavy" in my house.

Last night is a perfect example. 2:30 in the morning chaos is ensuing in their room. One of them woke up and got spooked and woke up the other one. the other one got mad then they both got mad at my wife because she was exhausted and didnt want to deal with this fight. I just got to bed at 12:30 and I have to get up at 6. Im listening to this and my blood is absolutely boiling. I can hear my wife warning them that they are going to wake me up and they will be sorry. I tried to wait it out. wasnt happening. I went in that room like a pitbull on steroids. they nearly shit themselves but they all shut the hell up and the fight was over.

My kids fear their teachers more than my wife and to me that is sad. I hate to use the word fear because we arent necessarily looking for absolute fear but when we tell my kids that we are going to tell their teacher about something bad they did that pertains to school, they get petrified and beg us not to tell. If a teacher were to tell my kid they were going to tell my wife about something bad they did they would probably in their heads be thinking meh go ahead the day will probably end with me getting ice cream and and I tunes gift card.

Smack your kids people. Smack them for me . Smack them often. Smack one for the old whomper :wacko:

I think that's pretty normal. I have other parents tell me my 6-year-old daughter is polite and well-mannered when she's at their houses, which I'm ecstatic about. But then she comes home and I feel like I'm yelling at her all the way up till bedtime. I'd rather it be that way, though, and not the other way around.

I think that's pretty normal. I have other parents tell me my 6-year-old daughter is polite and well-mannered when she's at their houses, which I'm ecstatic about. But then she comes home and I feel like I'm yelling at her all the way up till bedtime. I'd rather it be that way, though, and not the other way around.

I agree 100%. At school and with others socially the reports are great so we are doing something right in that regard .

You were having some real fun responding right up to now. What happened?

BTW - FWIW I don't agree with very many self-righteous absolutists like yourself.

I'm proud of the fact that our family has (thus far) successfully managed to resolve disciplinary issues without hitting. I won't apologize for that, or however that might make you feel.

And - news flash - I'm *notorious* for being an self-professed elitist prick. Kind of like you're notorious for being petulant with those you disagree with. At a minimum, we can revel in our behavioral consistency.

If we are talking about those things, then yes, I too am against beating, abusing, clubbing, and kicking a child.

shotgun, F'rs can hall arse pretty fast when they want to.

I'm proud of the fact that our family has (thus far) successfully managed to resolve disciplinary issues without hitting. I won't apologize for that, or however that might make you feel.

And - news flash - I'm *notorious* for being an self-professed elitist prick. Kind of like you're notorious for being petulant with those you disagree with. At a minimum, we can revel in our behavioral consistency.

Elitist prick.

There's more than being well mannered. There's keeping them alive.

I have 2 girls - 19 & 17 yrs old. I spanked both of them, but I have spanked neither more times than I could count on one hand in their entire lives. I also did not spank either girl beyond the age of 8 (and did not have the need to). However, in the course of their cognitive development there are times when treating them like little adults just did not make enough of an immediate impact when needed.

One example - despite being warned multiple times about stopping at the road's edge and looking both ways before crossing the street, the oldest at the age of 6 chased a ball out into the street without so much as a thought to reducing her running speed, much less stopping and looking both ways. My response was immediate - I took her to the curb and administered a spanking on the backside. She of course immediately ran into the house, into her room, and cried her eyes out. After a short while, I went into her room, hugged her, told her I still loved her, and explained why she got spanked. Afterwards, she never once (nor did her younger sister after seeing the consequences) ran into the street again, but rather every time stopped aand looked both ways for traffic before going into the street for any reason.

Given her age, reasoning ability at that age, and the potential consequences of her not obeying every time give the circumstances, applying a hand to the butt was the most effective way to get her to learn the lesson being taught.

So, how evil do you think I was for using spanking as a parenting tool in this instance, yo? Do I deserve a special place in the burning pits of Hell for having the audacity to apply my hand forcefully to my daughters backside for that?

BTW - despite being a spanker, rather than speaking for myself, I'll allow DW to speak to my daughters' behavior. Spanking was a parenting tool that I used sparingly (and hence much more effectively) when I needed to get a particular point across quickly and have it retained irrevocably.

His daughters are lovely, well mannered, accomplished, polite, self-motivated high achievers. They are girls any parent would be exceptionally proud of. I would trust them with the care of my home or my daughter without hesittion. I have no doubt both will be successes in anything they set their hand to, and they clearly love and respect their parents, themselves, and their neighbors. Just exceptional young ladies all the way around.