[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jeter 3000th hit ball

whomper

The fan that caught the ball graciously gave it back to Jeter. It was estimated that the ball would have yielded the guy 6 figures. The Yankees have given him below

Lopez received a "suite" deal from the Yankees: four luxury box tickets for every remaining 2011 game - including the playoffs and World Series - plus a ball signed by Jeter and a slew of other Yankees merchandise.

What says the huddle ? Would you have given the ball back ?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fan that caught the ball graciously gave it back to Jeter. It was estimated that the ball would have yielded the guy 6 figures. The Yankees have given him below

What says the huddle ? Would you have given the ball back ?

In a New York second

In a New York second

Would you give it back if you werent neccesarily a fan of the player ? I know in this case the guy was a hugh Yankees fan but say you are at the game and rooting for the other team and dont care for Jeter and you catch the ball. Still giving it back ? This isnt directed at you, just a general question. There were estimates of the ball fetching 250k.

Depends. Let's say those tickets cost $200/game each. So for each game you could sell them for $800. Take that times about 40 games left at home = $3200.

Gotta figure you can double or triple the cost of that ticket in the playoffs and world series. Let's say you get 7 home games in the whole postseason. So your $800 per game turns into $2400 per game times 7 = $16,800.

So you could recoup about $20,000 AND meet Jeter AND look like a good guy?

I'd probably give it back.

Would you give it back if you werent neccesarily a fan of the player ? I know in this case the guy was a hugh Yankees fan but say you are at the game and rooting for the other team and dont care for Jeter and you catch the ball. Still giving it back ? This isnt directed at you, just a general question. There were estimates of the ball fetching 250k.

now if I caught a ball under these circumstances(say Ivan or someone like that) I sell it

I think Jeter should scratch him a personal check for $50K. He's got it, dude could have gotten more but did the "honorable" thing. So, why not?

I would like to think that I'd just give it back but it's not like I couldn't use $100K. With as much energy as my wife and I spend trying to figure out the best way to get our house paid off soon, I wouldn't mind getting halfway there overnight.

You know what, I absolutely would not give it back. If they wanted to buy it from me, that's fine, I'd give them first crack with a reasonable offer before I went to bid. They've got no trouble getting as much money from the fans as they can get away with, I've got no troubles doing the same to them if it were my turn. Especially since they've certainly got the scratch.

Because it was Jeter and the fact that he is a Yankee... Well, I would have made him sweat it out for a week or so. But, at the end of the day, I would have given it back if he could have hooked me up with an autographed Falcons team football.

I am definitely NOT a fan of the Yankees. However, since this was Derek Jeter, I DEFINITELY give it back to him. That guy has shown himself to be nothing short of a class act and the ball belongs to him / hall of fame.

Props to this fan for doing the right thing. :wacko:

I am definitely NOT a fan of the Yankees. However, since this was Derek Jeter, I DEFINITELY give it back to him. That guy has shown himself to be nothing short of a class act and the ball belongs to him / hall of fame.

Props to this fan for doing the right thing. :wacko:

Interesting thought. Now I'm thinking I would have pulled out a Sharpie and put my signature on it before giving it back.

Wow, the Yanks gave him four tickets to every remaining home game to sit in seats that (based on the TV shots) sit empty anyway. And some autographed baseballs and a jersey or two?

Seems a little light to me, coming from the organization that spends more than any other sports franchise in the USA. And yes, Jeter should also cut the dude a check for some ching, just because the guy was cool beyond belief (though likely taken advantage of to some degree because he was caught up in the moment).

I think Jeter should scratch him a personal check for $50K. He's got it, dude could have gotten more but did the "honorable" thing. So, why not?

I would like to think that I'd just give it back but it's not like I couldn't use $100K. With as much energy as my wife and I spend trying to figure out the best way to get our house paid off soon, I wouldn't mind getting halfway there overnight.

You know what, I absolutely would not give it back. If they wanted to buy it from me, that's fine, I'd give them first crack with a reasonable offer before I went to bid. They've got no trouble getting as much money from the fans as they can get away with, I've got no troubles doing the same to them if it were my turn. Especially since they've certainly got the scratch.

True, but the problem I see is getting out of the park alive and w/ the ball still in my possession. W/ the whacked/goofy/violent fans out there, I'd say his chances of getting out safe w/ the ball were less than even money.

True, but the problem I see is getting out of the park alive and w/ the ball still in my possession. W/ the whacked/goofy/violent fans out there, I'd say his chances of getting out safe w/ the ball were less than even money.

:wacko: i wonder if they're that good

Hey, this is nothing against Jeter. Like others, I've always been a fan of him specifically even if not a fan of the Yankees. But, at some point, when he was negotiating a particularly lucrative "thank you" contract, because let's not fool ourselves, he's not now worth what he's about to get, even in the monopoly world of baseball. After making something like $18 mil a year when he was at his peak, it's not like the Yanks "owe" him $10 mil for the next five years after his skills have certainly eroded and will likely continue to do so because he gave them some sort of discount before. At any rate, during those negotiations, did he demand that level of scratch but say that some percentage of that go to buying tickets for orphans and the like? To build schools in the Bronx? Anything like that? Or did he just get as much as he could from the Yankees because he knew how bad it would look if they let one of their most beloved players walk.

Now, I'm not saying he's a greedy bastage or anything. Just a guy who's leveraging his position for the best price he can. Kind of like, well, a guy who happened to catch a historic ball at a game where he spend his money to attend.

Why, in an endeavor where both players and teams get as much as they can at basically every turn, is some fan expected to not do so? Just so this "for profit" enterprise can put it in a museum housed in a building they charge people money to get into.

Fair enough. Let's just pretend that you could get out alive with the ball.

ETA: I wonder if that was part of the negotiations. :wacko: "I'm sure you know that you could get $250K for the ball. But, that of course assumes that you make it out of here alive. We can end this right here and now with some nice tickets and loot that will be safely delivered to your home. Just sayin'"

Edited by detlef

Depends. Let's say those tickets cost $200/game each. So for each game you could sell them for $800. Take that times about 40 games left at home = $3200.

Gotta figure you can double or triple the cost of that ticket in the playoffs and world series. Let's say you get 7 home games in the whole postseason. So your $800 per game turns into $2400 per game times 7 = $16,800.

So you could recoup about $20,000 AND meet Jeter AND look like a good guy?

I'd probably give it back.

Your math is off by a factor of 10 for the regular season so it should be $32,000 + $16,800 = the fat end of $50k. Not too shabby.

And yes, I would have given the ball back. Why be an a$$h0le when you don't have to be?

To play devils advocate. Chiefs scenario seems like a lot of work to recoup a fraction of what the ball was worth . plus the Yanks may have a non transferable clause with those gift tickets

To play devils advocate. Chiefs scenario seems like a lot of work to recoup a fraction of what the ball was worth . plus the Yanks may have a non transferable clause with those gift tickets

on top of that, i was unsure of the circumstances of how it was offered:

1) he gave up the ball, and they "thanked" him with goodies

or

2) they offered the package when they approached him

if it were the first scenario, I wouldn't blame someone for keeping the ball due to not having anything guaranteed. I know that that type of money would have a significant impact on my life right now.

To give something back infers that the ball was someone else's to begin with. The ball was never Jeter's, so to "give it back to him" is redundant. Once it was in the hands of the guy who caught it, its his.

As a fan of the team...hmmmm...if it was Ryan Howard's 400th home run and I caught it...it would be a very tough decision, knowing the ball would fetch $100K or so...but yeah, I''d prolly give it to him so as to not be labeled a Shark Vac by other jealous fans and media that don't have to make that decision. Also be very cool to meet him, and as a hugh Phillies fan, all the memorabilia and meeting the players with me and my kids would be very cool.

But if I catch the same historic ball hit by Chipper Jones in our house....Chipper pays handsomely for the ball.

Hey, this is nothing against Jeter. Like others, I've always been a fan of him specifically even if not a fan of the Yankees. But, at some point, when he was negotiating a particularly lucrative "thank you" contract, because let's not fool ourselves, he's not now worth what he's about to get, even in the monopoly world of baseball. After making something like $18 mil a year when he was at his peak, it's not like the Yanks "owe" him $10 mil for the next five years after his skills have certainly eroded and will likely continue to do so because he gave them some sort of discount before. At any rate, during those negotiations, did he demand that level of scratch but say that some percentage of that go to buying tickets for orphans and the like? To build schools in the Bronx? Anything like that? Or did he just get as much as he could from the Yankees because he knew how bad it would look if they let one of their most beloved players walk.

Now, I'm not saying he's a greedy bastage or anything. Just a guy who's leveraging his position for the best price he can. Kind of like, well, a guy who happened to catch a historic ball at a game where he spend his money to attend.

Why, in an endeavor where both players and teams get as much as they can at basically every turn, is some fan expected to not do so? Just so this "for profit" enterprise can put it in a museum housed in a building they charge people money to get into.

You make a good point there.

You can bet that he got some scratch with the condition he says nothing about it. That ball meant a lot to Jeter, he paid.

very possible. if people knew they'd be getting 25k or whatever, people would be breaking limbs at a minimum to get to those balls.

This.

Props to this fan for doing the right thing. :tup:

And this...:wacko:

I think I'd hold out for the payday, just like any respectable athlete.