[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jeter 3000th hit ball

whomper

Your math is off by a factor of 10 for the regular season so it should be $32,000 + $16,800 = the fat end of $50k. Not too shabby.

And yes, I would have given the ball back. Why be an a$$h0le when you don't have to be?

How is that being an a$$h0le? Again, we're talking about pro sports here. The precedent for getting what you can has very much been set. Hell, even when a player gives a "hometown discount" they still end up getting damned close to what they could have gotten. And how often do they do that when the "hometown" team is a crappy team?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Catching the ball = winning the lotto. Yankees = Billion dollar organization. Giving your winning lottery ticket to people who are already millionaires a thousand times over is RIDICULOUSLY STUPID. This was a huge sucker play and the guy will regret it for the rest of his life. He has $100,000 in debt. He sells cell phones for a living. From what I saw on tv it looks like he's going to have some expensive health problems. I think it's appalling that the Yankees would just absolutely FLEECE this poor guy like that. Lets say that guy's annual income is $40k. He just gave away 6 or so years of income to some dude who plays a game for a living, because said dude "deserves it"? It's just unbelievable.

Edited by mrip

There's no way that I'm just giving the guy that ball. At the very least, I owe it to my family to get a fair price for it.

Let's see. I can put my kid through a couple years of college or I can be a nice guy to some incredibly wealthy person that I don't know who can easily afford to pay me the reasonable value of the ball.

Total no brainer.

I'd say that I would be willing to sell the ball back the Jeter/Yankees at a price a little bit less than estimated fair-market value. That way I can claim that I am a good guy for giving the team a "hometown discount".

(I also have to think that Jeter/Yankees coughed up some cash on the down-low.)

Edited by wiegie

To give something back infers that the ball was someone else's to begin with. The ball was never Jeter's, so to "give it back to him" is redundant. Once it was in the hands of the guy who caught it, its his.

This is why I am against progressive taxes and all forms of charity... "Giving back to the community" my ass. :wacko:

A good liberal would give the ball back and graciously accept any hand out that the power structure in place (In this case Jeter and the Yankees) offered.

:tup:

BTW: I'm starting to agree with you greedy bastards that would have kept it and waited for the pay day.

I woulda sold the ball . . .. no question.

I would have given Jeter a "right of first refusal" on any bids, maybe with a small discount.

If I paid my money for the parking, tickets, concessions, etc, you are damn right they can pay me for the ball. And not in more baseball tickets either . . .

Interesting read in our local paper:

Derek Jeter, Christian Lopez and the 3,000 hit mistake

Published: Monday, July 11, 2011; Last Updated: Mon. Jul 11, 2011, 9:15am

By Jeff Edelstein, Journal Register News Service

It’s been a few days since Derek Jeter smacked a home run to reach 3,000 hits, and so it’s given me some time to think about Christian Lopez, the 23-year-old guy who ended up with it. As we all know by now, Lopez decided to give the ball to Jeter. In return, Lopez got four suite tickets for every Yankees home game for the rest of the season and a collection of signed bats and balls.

In some quarters, Lopez is being hailed as selfless hero, a guy who did the right thing, a guy who turned away upwards of $250,000, as many a sports memorabilia pundit has indicated the ball would have sold for on the open market. Lopez, a Verizon customer service rep, said in post-game press conference that “Money’s cool and all, but I’m only 23 years old. I have a lot of time to make that. His accomplishment is a milestone.”

Of course, many people — namely the money-hungry, the selfish — say Lopez is a schmuck. To simply “give” the ball to Jeter is the mark of an insane person. After all, it’s not Jeter’s ball. If anything, it’s Major League Baseball’s ball, and once it goes into the stands, it’s been demonstrated over the years the ball then belongs to whoever ends up with it.

So the question: Hero or schmuck? Well, as I said, I’ve spent some time thinking about it, and I’ve come up with the answer: schmuck schmuck schmuck schmuck, a thousand times a schmuck.

Lopez didn’t do the “right thing,” he didn’t act “unselfish,” and he’s certainly not a “hero." He’s a kid who made a massive mistake, on no less than two fronts. If Lopez really wanted to do the “right thing” and be “unselfish” and be a “hero,” he could’ve sold the ball and helped his friends, his family, the world at large. Handing a multi-millionaire a baseball does not a hero make.

(Fun with numbers: If Jeter wanted the ball so bad, he could have bought it on the open market for the $250K. As a percentage of his lifetime baseball earnings — over $205 million — that’s roughly .001 percent. You don’t need to be the love child of Albert Einsten and Suze Orman to see Jeter could afford to make the purchase.)

So not only did Lopez not cash in for himself, I really think you can make the argument he did the wrong thing by not cashing in, period. I'm talking morally, ethically. Understand: Someone with a lot of money to burn would have bought the ball. That person, whoever they may be, is not going to instead donate the money to charity. They’re going to buy the next piece of sports memorabilia that catches their eye.

Lopez, though? He could have sold the ball and donated the money. Now that would have been the right thing, the unselfish move, the way to hero status. Instead, he gave the ball to Jeter.

So now the ball is (literally) in Jeter’s court. Maybe Jeter can do the right thing here, and make a donation of $250K (or more) to his own charity, Turn 2 Foundation, or somewhere else. At least that way, Lopez’s schmuck move wouldn’t have been in vain.

And ... In case you’re wondering, I would’ve kept the ball, sold it, paid off the mortgage, and put whatever was left over in the bank. Selfish? Yep. Hero-like? Nope. The right thing? For my wife and kids, hell yes.

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

How is that being an a$$h0le? Again, we're talking about pro sports here. The precedent for getting what you can has very much been set. Hell, even when a player gives a "hometown discount" they still end up getting damned close to what they could have gotten. And how often do they do that when the "hometown" team is a crappy team?

As a Pirates fan, I can answer that.......NEVER.

With the Pirates resurgence (if it continues), I'm interesting to see if that changes.

How is that being an a$$h0le? Again, we're talking about pro sports here. The precedent for getting what you can has very much been set.

The reason they canceled the World Series and completely destroyed baseball was because both the owners and players were greedy beyond imagination and basically said to hell with the fans. I would've sold it, banged whoever Jeter is dating right now, taken pictures of me banging her, and rained piss down on the Yankees and their fans from the suite I was banging her in.

After reading that article and many of the posts, I have changed my mind.

I would keep the ball. I would see what the going rate would be for the ball, and perhaps put it up as an auction with a refusal option by me if a certain price isn't met. (Make that price unrealistically high). When the last bid comes in, offer the ball to Jeter for that price. If he declines, sell the ball.

This reminds me of the movie '61' about Roger Maris & Mickey Mantle. They had the guy who caught the ball at the press conference, and they asked Maris "Roger, don't you believe that ball belongs to you or in the hall of fame" Maris answered "No, he should keep the ball and get what he can for it. He can use it more than I can." By all accounts, Maris was a class act, and this was just another example of that.

I just remembered that Derek Jeter is engaged to Minka Kelly, one of the hottest chicks I've ever seen.

Here would be my conversation with Mr. Jeter, if I were this young man.:

Me: "Mr. Jeter, the best offer I got on the ball was $250,000. You have three choices, you can pass, and I will sell the ball. You can buy it for that same price, OR you can have the ball for free and let me have sex with your fiancee as many times as I can in a 24-hour period. The choice is yours."

I just remembered that Derek Jeter is engaged to Minka Kelly, one of the hottest chicks I've ever seen.

Here would be my conversation with Mr. Jeter, if I were this young man.:

Me: "Mr. Jeter, the best offer I got on the ball was $250,000. You have three choices, you can pass, and I will sell the ball. You can buy it for that same price, OR you can have the ball for free and let me have sex with your fiancee as many times as I can in a 24-hour period. The choice is yours."

Just tell him, "Look in that 24 hours I promise to take up no more than 4 minutes of her time... Most of it will be spent recovering."

The reason they canceled the World Series and completely destroyed baseball was because both the owners and players were greedy beyond imagination and basically said to hell with the fans. I would've sold it, banged whoever Jeter is dating right now, taken pictures of me banging her, and rained piss down on the Yankees and their fans from the suite I was banging her in.

You just hate Yankees

You just hate Yankees

Well, the one thing everyone is in agreement of is this guy would get his ass kicked for simply leaving. :wacko:

But yeah, I hate the Yankees and the Red Sox way too much.

Well, the one thing everyone is in agreement of is this guy would get his ass kicked for simply leaving. :wacko:

But yeah, I hate the Yankees and the Red Sox way too much.

I didnt mean the team . I meant the north

Just tell him, "Look in that 24 hours I promise to take up no more than 4 minutes of her time... Most of it will be spent recovering."

:wacko:

After reading that article and many of the posts, I have changed my mind.

I would keep the ball. I would see what the going rate would be for the ball, and perhaps put it up as an auction with a refusal option by me if a certain price isn't met. (Make that price unrealistically high). When the last bid comes in, offer the ball to Jeter for that price. If he declines, sell the ball.

This reminds me of the movie '61' about Roger Maris & Mickey Mantle. They had the guy who caught the ball at the press conference, and they asked Maris "Roger, don't you believe that ball belongs to you or in the hall of fame" Maris answered "No, he should keep the ball and get what he can for it. He can use it more than I can." By all accounts, Maris was a class act, and this was just another example of that.

That is a great point.

There's no way that I'm just giving the guy that ball. At the very least, I owe it to my family to get a fair price for it.

Let's see. I can put my kid through a couple years of college or I can be a nice guy to some incredibly wealthy person that I don't know who can easily afford to pay me the reasonable value of the ball.

Total no brainer.

no chit - everythings negotiable. Fatboy is a moran in my book.

negotiate a fair price and everyone's happy.

Edited by wildcat2334

That's a life-time lottery ticket.

You don't just give away a lottery ticket to a bajillionaire when you're broke. It's not like this guy is going to be in Jeter's wedding and celebrating Thanksgivings with he and Minka for the next fifty years...

Sell the ball. Take care of yourself and your family. Pay debt. Go to college. Help others less fortunate. Etc.

That's a life-time lottery ticket.

You don't just give away a lottery ticket to a bajillionaire when you're broke. It's not like this guy is going to be in Jeter's wedding and celebrating Thanksgivings with he and Minka for the next fifty years...

Sell the ball. Take care of yourself and your family. Pay debt. Go to college. Help others less fortunate. Etc.

exactly

I think it was purely a matter of being caught up in the moment.

Dude is a lifelong Yankee fan, catches Jeter's historic homer, fans are going nuts, club officials whisk him away....I doubt he even had a minute to even think about what it would be worth, and just blurted out what he felt (at the time) was the right thing to do: "Of course I plan on giving it to Mr. Jeter". With all the hoopla and positive vibe going on, he probably felt that was his only option. Was he really going to say "I plan on auctioning to the highest bidder", or, "I'll sell it back to Jeter for $200K"?

I do think there is a better than 50/50 chance he woke up the next day regretting his decision.

We'll see if Mr. Jeter is as giving as the fan. He was interviewed on a talk show, and asked if a large sum of money would be important to him....and he let it be known that he does have close to $100K in student loans. Jeter should take care of them for him.