[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dog owners with pools

sunysteelfly76

I've never had a dog before and we just got a 7 week old puppy (golden retriever). I would love for her to be able to hang out with us by the pool and possibly swim but I'm afraid that she could rip the lining. We have "wedding cake stairs" so entry and exit would be fairly easy. Does anyone have any experiences or know of people who have let their dogs swim in their pools? How'd it work out? Is 7 weeks too young for swimming?

7 weeks is probably a little young, but they can certainly learn at that age. It might be hard for them to get in and out. Is the pool an above ground pool? I wasnt sure what "lining" you were referring to. We have an in ground pool at my moms house, and my dogs used to go swimming there all the time. You can introduce the dog to the pool, but dont exoect an expert swimmer until a few months after. They are usually scared at first, but once they xperience it, they will want to do it all day every day.

And FWIW, Goldens are awesome. Thats what I have (and a boxer). Feel free to PM me anytime for any questions you might have. :wacko:

I've never had a dog before and we just got a 7 week old puppy (golden retriever). I would love for her to be able to hang out with us by the pool and possibly swim but I'm afraid that she could rip the lining. We have "wedding cake stairs" so entry and exit would be fairly easy. Does anyone have any experiences or know of people who have let their dogs swim in their pools? How'd it work out? Is 7 weeks too young for swimming?

My SIL has an above ground pool and the lab ripped the lining trying to get out - she had stairs too but dogs are dogs and they'll get out wherever they see fit.

I have friends that have in-ground pools and some let their dogs swim while others do not.

Edited by twiley

We have an above-ground pool and despite having THE dog of dogs that swims (Black lab), there's no way I'm letting her in it. Not really worried about her ripping the lining as much I am hoisting her up into the pool and then having to lift her out 5 minutes later. There's nowhere for her to "rest" (it's a 4-foot all the way around).

Parent have an in ground. When we do bring the dog on visits, no point trying to keep him out of the pool. One visit he was in at 7am, swimmingfor an hour or so, then we went to my aunt;s who also have a pool and he was in there swimming with my cousins etc.

He then slept for about 16 hours straight.

Don't know about the pool.

But, if your puppy's breeder let you take that pup home at 7wks, that's a lousy breeder. You really (REALLY) need to focus on good socialization over the next month or two with that pup and other pups and older dogs (and lots of people). That last week with mom is a very key one, and the breeder didn't let that week happen. IMO.

Oh, and good luck w/ your pup. Dogs are awesome! :wacko:

My parents have an in ground pool and their golden swims all the time. She jumps off the diving board and exits from the steps. My golden doesn't like swimming all that much but goes in the steps and exits from them. Their liner is vinyl and they were worried about it, but the dogs know not to go near the sides (plus it takes quite a bit to rip through the liner). It takes some training, but you should be able to get there if you are in with the dog the first many times. My sister brings her dogs over there and they get close to the edge but I think that is only because they are not over that often.

My parents have an in ground pool and their golden swims all the time. She jumps off the diving board and exits from the steps. My golden doesn't like swimming all that much but goes in the steps and exits from them. Their liner is vinyl and they were worried about it, but the dogs know not to go near the sides (plus it takes quite a bit to rip through the liner). It takes some training, but you should be able to get there if you are in with the dog the first many times. My sister brings her dogs over there and they get close to the edge but I think that is only because they are not over that often.