[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It wont be long now

moneymakers

For what it is worth, I work in an industry that is far from "liberal", and we have a strict social media policy and yes, I can face disciplinary action up to and including being terminated for comments made on my personal facebook or twitter page, regardless of when or from what machine I post them.

Not saying for sure that these exact comments would lead to any disciplinary action.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not saying for sure that these exact comments would lead to any disciplinary action.

You should try it out and see what happens. If you're fired, cry PC, and hire DW for representation all the way to the Supreme Court.

Edited by bushwacked

Let's be clear here: his freedom of speech and expression was 100% completely protected.

People can argue all they want....Pope is 100% correct.

and the reality is, he wasn't a very smart teacher after all if he thought he could post anti-gay rheotic to his (ahem) "private" Facebook page and not bear professional repercussions. I know for sure I would be dismissed from my contract if I posted, say, anti-jew comments on my facebook page in the name of free speech.

Seems overblown if only by the fact that some schmos actually voted this bigot "Teacher of the Year" :wacko:

I do believe you mean to be derisive.

You made some decent points but never once acknowledged the legal precedent established under contractual employer to employee personal conduct obligations. The only point you are seemingly making is the guy's comments shouldn't be subject to employer discipline because it was done on free time and he didn't verbally recommend a explicit physical reaction.

Many of us are obliged to personal conduct codes and are somehow acutely aware of those being in place outside the work place without having a law degree. So yea, I'm being derisive.

Edited by bushwacked

You made some decent points but never once acknowledged the legal precedent established under contractual employer to employee personal conduct obligations. The only point you are seemingly making is the guy's comments shouldn't be subject to employer discipline because it was done on free time and he didn't verbally recommend a explicit physical reaction.

Many of us are obliged to personal conduct codes and are somehow acutely aware of those being in place outside the work place without having a law degree. So yea, I'm being derisive.

I believe I have acknowledged that they extend beyond the workplace. But they do not extend infinitely into political speech. For some time now employers, in an abundance of caution, have had policies beyond the workplace covering libel, disparagement, and matters that would create a hostile environment at the work place by being directed from or about one employee to another.

Some employers have tried to go beyond that. The Courts and the NLRB are full of matters on their dockets about further extending matters to the point that employers just do not wish to be even tangentially connected to some viewpoints. The trend for these cases is as I have said.

Anyhow, my comment about you being derisive was not seeking an explanation. It was a coutesy. I believed you would have felt disappointed if you did not know that I had read your post. I did not wish to leave you disappointed.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders

I wonder what gives the school district, usually a government or quasi governmental agency the power to terminate the employment of a person for expressing a view, apparently on their own time.
They, like pretty much any business or organization, have the right to fire anyone for any reason other than age, race, or gender. Not saying that's right or wrong, it just is.

Many school departments have been somewhat slow to develop specific policies with regard to social media usage, however, teachers have always been held to a different standard with regard to their personal behavior because they are role models for their students and they represent their school 24/7. If one is unwilling to be held to that, one should avoid making that career choice.

because they are role models

If pro athletes can ignore that, why not teachers? The role model thing is so passe.

IMO the public vs private thing lies somewhere in between. Yes, facebook is "public" in that anyone can see your comments, but to see them, one has to actively seek that person's page out. It's not like he spammed his comments to people's emails or said these things in the classroom. That said, if they have a clear policy about this, he did ask for trouble. I just think that when a person's place of work gets into that person's "private space," IMO they have gone too far.

Meh, fire the dude, no biggie.

I find this interesting as my wife works for the state and they have written up/fired numerous people as of late for things posted on Facebook.

Even funnier (my wife works for the dept of juvenile justice) is that they also bust a number of kids who are already on probation/in the system through their facebook accounts. They'll talk about gang affiliation, crimes, take pictures of themselves holding guns, pictures of them drinking, smoking Josh Gordon, etc...

Facebook is a plague that needs to be eradicated.

Edited by SEC=UGA

kids who are already on probation/in the system through their facebook accounts. They'll talk about gang affiliation, crimes, take pictures of themselves holding guns, pictures of them drinking, smoking Josh Gordon, etc...

First time I have ever heard of facebook having any value. :wacko: Three cheers for JD stupidity as well.

Meh, fire the dude, no biggie.

I find this interesting as my wife works for the state and they have written up/fired numerous people as of late for things posted on Facebook.

Even funnier (my wife works for the dept of juvenile justice) is that they also bust a number of kids who are already on probation/in the system through their facebook accounts. They'll talk about gang affiliation, crimes, take pictures of themselves holding guns, pictures of them drinking, smoking Josh Gordon, etc...

Facebook is a plague that needs to be eradicated.

Facebook is Darwin's friend

PASTOR DALE RICHARDSON

Pastor Dale was born in Summerville SC 11/8/1964, he has lived in Summerville all of his life. Brother Dale was saved in a tent revival at the age of 14 in N. Charleston SC. Brother Dale was called to preach in a tent revival at Mt. Olivet Free Will Baptist Church in Cross SC in 2005. Brother Dale joined Freedom FWBC on October 8th 2008. He has held the offices of Adult Sunday School teacher, Sunday School Director, Trustee, and Unofficial Associate Pastor for the whole time before becoming the Pastor on June 9th 2010. Brother Dale and his wife, Susan (of 26) years have two daughters, Katelynn (18) and Tiffany (24). Brother Dale is a graduate of Liberty University in Lynchburg, VA. Brother Dale believes in the King James Bible and has dedicated his life to preaching and living the Holy life as handed down in Scripture. Brother Dale's life Scripture is Isaiah 6:8 "Also I heard the voice of the Lord, Saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for US? Then said I, Here am I, send me"

CBS/AP) LADSON, S.C. - South Carolina pastor Dale Richardson has been charged with kidnapping and raping several women at gunpoint, including two of them in a trailer behind his church. He is also accused of kidnapping a fourth who was not sexually assaulted.

According to an incident report, on a Saturday afternoon in July, the preacher picked up a woman and gave her a ride. When the 20-year-old tried to exit out of the car, Richardson allegedly pulled a gun, bound her hands, covered her head and took her to the gray-blue trailer home behind the Free Will Baptist Church in Ladson.

The report also said he later dropped the woman in a wooded area and threatened to shoot her if she turned around. The woman was able to identify Richardson from his picture on the church website, which also displays a short biography detailing how he became a Christian and then a pastor.

Meanwhile, Richardson has been charged with two other similar sexual assaults, both of which occurred last year. He is accused of bringing one of those women to the church trailer. The third woman claims she was raped in a wooded area outside nearby Summerville, a community which is 20 miles northwest of Charleston. He is also charged with kidnapping a fourth woman.

During a hearing on Thursday, Richardson said he understood the charges against him but said very little. He was denied bond.

PASTOR DALE RICHARDSON

CBS/AP) LADSON, S.C. - South Carolina pastor Dale Richardson has been charged with kidnapping and raping several women at gunpoint, including two of them in a trailer behind his church. He is also accused of kidnapping a fourth who was not sexually assaulted.

Doesn't sound like he's gay, so it's probably ok. :wacko: