[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sad Day for College Football

neilfish2

Since Boise St. beat a not so good Georgia team, and the rest of thier schedule is cake, they will be playing in the NC game. The only ranked team (as of now) on the schedule is TCU who showed their true colors this weekend.

Now the question is who will blow them out in the NC game?

Edited by neilfish2

TCU went undefeated last year and wasn't in the National Championship game.

And all the SEC guys usually are the ones bitching about Boise State... What do they have to do to convince you guys that they deserve a shot in the NC game? This BS about them not being able to compete with the big boys has to stop. They've beaten enough of the so called big boys.

• Like 1

TCU went undefeated last year and wasn't in the National Championship game.

And all the SEC guys usually are the ones bitching about Boise State... What do they have to do to convince you guys that they deserve a shot in the NC game? This BS about them not being able to compete with the big boys has to stop. They've beaten enough of the so called big boys.

To convince me all they have to do is play a real schedule or at least in a real conference. To be honest, I hope they make it to the NC game--then we won't have to worry about it happening again for a long time.

Amazing amount of buttsore in this thread for 3 posts in week 1. You should be happy the BSU doesn't get the preferential treatment that irrelevant mid-major Notre Dame does.

Edited by Chavez

To convince me all they have to do is play a real schedule or at least in a real conference. To be honest, I hope they make it to the NC game--then we won't have to worry about it happening again for a long time.

Exactly. I call this the "BYU Syndrome" reflecting back on that joke of a championship handed to them for going undefeated back in the early 80s on a TOTAL cake schedule. Whatever happened to strength of schedule considerations?

Let's bring back the #1 rank based on voting, but only the coaches ie the old "UPI" poll - screw the writers and for crying out loud don't include the general public or players. It wasn't perfect but beat this BCS stuff.

Exactly. I call this the "BYU Syndrome" reflecting back on that joke of a championship handed to them for going undefeated back in the early 80s on a TOTAL cake schedule.

Part of the reason for that was the old system matched them up against a mediocre Michigan team in their bowl game. At the VERY least, any non-AQ team will face a high-caliber AQ opponent - like when Boise beat Oklahoma or TCU beat Wisconsin.

Since Boise St. beat a not so good Georgia team, and the rest of thier schedule is cake, they will be playing in the NC game. The only ranked team (as of now) on the schedule is TCU who showed their true colors this weekend.

Now the question is who will blow them out in the NC game?

pure nonsense.

why don't we take this week by week - Boise St. went on the road and beat 19th ranked UGA out of the big bad SEC, pretty solid W.

It is already pretty certain that a 1L SEC, Big 12 or Pac 12 team (or even FSU) would be in the NC game over an undefeated BSU. So, not sure why you get your panties wadded up in week 1.

TCU showed their true colors in week 1? :wacko:

right because, not much changes from week 1 -12

Part of the reason for that was the old system matched them up against a mediocre Michigan team in their bowl game.

True, but more the reason was the idiotic mindset at the time of "by golly they're undefeated so they should be #1!" ie not taking SOS into account.

Year after year Boise State lines up and beats just about every team that's put in front of them. Yet, we always have somebody throwin' up on them because they play in a weak conference. It doesn't matter if they're on the road, in a bowl game or playing against a team from the so called "elite" conference they go out and get it done and most of the time, in convincing fashion. Now they have played, and won, one game and we got some guy saying they shouldn't be able to play in the NC game? Laughable.

Nobody from the WAC can beat them yet, nobody from the SEC can either. :wacko:

Year after year Boise State lines up and beats just about every team that's put in front of them. Yet, we always have somebody throwin' up on them because they play in a weak conference. It doesn't matter if they're on the road, in a bowl game or playing against a team from the so called "elite" conference they go out and get it done and most of the time, in convincing fashion. Now they have played, and won, one game and we got some guy saying they shouldn't be able to play in the NC game? Laughable.

Nobody from the WAC can beat them yet, nobody from the SEC can either. :wacko:

I don't think anyone would say Boise State isn't a good team. Just that if you gave probably half or more of the SEC teams (or 3-4 teams from the other conferences) the schedule that Boise State has, the results would be the same. That's not insult... it's just the way it is. Sure, they can only play the games they have in front of them, but don't expect others to simply ignore the obvious imbalanced SOS they have.

I would love to see them go through a stretch of Florida, Alabama, LSU, Auburn, South Carolina and come out smelling like roses on the other side... at least it would put and end to myth once and for all.

• 4 weeks later...

Boise St., want respect? Don't play a JV schedule. End of story. There are 30 teams out there that could come out undefeated with their schedule. They would have at minimum 2-3 losses if they played in the SEC.

Boise St., want respect? Don't play a JV schedule. End of story. There are 30 teams out there that could come out undefeated with their schedule. They would have at minimum 2-3 losses if they played in the SEC.

Do they have a choice? No. But, every time a "Big Conference" school plays them the result is the same. a "W" for the bronco's.

Do they have a choice? No. But, every time a "Big Conference" school plays them the result is the same. a "W" for the bronco's.

We have this discussion every year. When a team only has to focus and get up for 1-2 games all season and the rest of the season is beating up on easy teams, it's a lot easier to get up for those 1-2 teams.

I have to wonder how Boise St would do playing Alabama, LSU, Auburn, and Georgia in consecutive games. How would Boise St do if they had to play the #9, #16, #17, #2, #10, and #15 ranked teams (see LSU).

We have this discussion every year. When a team only has to focus and get up for 1-2 games all season and the rest of the season is beating up on easy teams, it's a lot easier to get up for those 1-2 teams.

I have to wonder how Boise St would do playing Alabama, LSU, Auburn, and Georgia in consecutive games. How would Boise St do if they had to play the #9, #16, #17, #2, #10, and #15 ranked teams (see LSU).

They would have their hands full with Bama and LSU, no doubt, but they would handle anyone else in that conference. They would beat Auburn by at least 10 and handle the rest. I would agree though that it would be a test facing the SEC or Pac-10 schedule every week. Ask Utah :wacko:

Have to question how Auburn is in the Top 20? They could be easily 2-3. They're obviously riding the SEC hype train. Arkansas is another one that is ranked higher than they should be. Bama and LSU are obviously on another tier from the rest of the SEC.

If Auburn plays Boise St. ten times, Auburn wins more than 5. Boise is gonna stop Dyer? I think not. Boise is AT BEST an 8 win team in the Pac-12, let alone the SEC.

Edited by Seahawks21

If Auburn plays Boise St. ten times, Auburn wins more than 5. Boise is gonna stop Dyer? I think not. Boise is AT BEST an 8 win team in the Pac-12, let alone the SEC.

I think you proved my point for me. 9-10 wins in their conference or 8 wins in the Pac-12 or SEC. They're a pretty damn good team.

While I do agree that SOS needs to be considered I think most of us would agree that it takes a great football team to be able to sustain the effort and motivation to line up every week and win, especially on the road when you are getting everyone's best effort. That's what Boise State faces every week. We've all seen big upsets every year in every conference. What Boise State does every year should be recognized. They usually have 0-1 losses, beat the "Favorite-big name school" in non-conference or their bowl game. Abusing a ranked SEC school on the road is the latest example.

I think you proved my point for me. 9-10 wins in their conference or 8 wins in the Pac-12 or SEC. They're a pretty damn good team.

Yes but a team with that record does not qualify for a national title game or even a BCS bowl. Nobody is saying they're not a good team. We're just saying with their schedule, they should be automatically disqualified from playing for a national championship.

While I do agree that SOS needs to be considered I think most of us would agree that it takes a great football team to be able to sustain the effort and motivation to line up every week and win, especially on the road when you are getting everyone's best effort. That's what Boise State faces every week. We've all seen big upsets every year in every conference. What Boise State does every year should be recognized. They usually have 0-1 losses, beat the "Favorite-big name school" in non-conference or their bowl game. Abusing a ranked SEC school on the road is the latest example.

Meh, we kicked the sh!t out of them a few years back... Not so much this year.

And, an 8 win SEC team has never played in the title game and in many cases is barely ranked in the top 25. So, what this boils down to is the fact that Boise would be a middle of the pack team in most conferences. Like a GT, UGA, Okie St., Penn St., etc... Able to come out and beat any team when they are "up" but in most cases not an elite title contender.