[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

thinking seriously about buying a handgun

Azazello1313

I don't think that's an issue with any quality 1911 made today once they are properly broken in. The modern polished feed ramp designs are pretty good. I have blown through 300-450 rounds of SWCs in a match without cleaning and had zero problems. If you can shoot those flying ashtrays without feeding problems, ball or JHPs will never be a problem.

There are a number of quality 1911s that do require some break-in period, The first few hundred rounds can smooth our any rough machining that needs smoothing. I had several hangups with my current carry/match gun, but have had zero malfunctions in tens of thousands of rounds since. Most 1911 malfunctions are from bad mags. I use Wilson Combat mags (mostly the 47D model) exclusively and have no problems. These mags are regularly dropped onto rocks, and into mud and dirt in matches and never have a problem - hugh fan.

If someone really likes the 1911 and doesn't like the idea of qualifying a weapon with a break in period, Les Baer, Wilson Combat, Nighthawk Custom and Ed Brown all make very nice, highly machined, quality 1911s. Just be prepared to spend north of $2k for one. I will have a stable of Baers, a Nighthawk or two and some Browns when the budget allows. Google these names and prepare to be stimulated by some quality gun pron. :pantstight:

I don't disagree at all.....which is why I said "can be" :wacko: More specifically if you aren't spending some real dollars new or are buying an older, used firearm then you might find these issues.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lot of replies, not sure if this has been covered:

If your wife is potentially going to be using the pistola DO NOT GET ANYTHING OVER A .380. I have found that my wife is very uncomfortable shooting my .45 and .40.

The problem with the .380 is that most of them have a tendency to be compact, short barreled weapons (though not all of them are) leading to a less accurate weapon. You may be better served purchasing a .22 LR or .25 match/competition pistol with a 4.5" to 6" barrel. S&W, Ruger, Beretta, etc... all make these and they are fairly reasonably priced.

Remember, anyone hears a gunshot go off in you house and sees the muzzle flash, they're going in the opposite direction.

Edited by SEC=UGA

I don't think that's an issue with any quality 1911 made today once they are properly broken in. The modern polished feed ramp designs are pretty good. I have blown through 300-450 rounds of SWCs in a match without cleaning and had zero problems. If you can shoot those flying ashtrays without feeding problems, ball or JHPs will never be a problem.

There are a number of quality 1911s that do require some break-in period, The first few hundred rounds can smooth our any rough machining that needs smoothing. I had several hangups with my current carry/match gun, but have had zero malfunctions in tens of thousands of rounds since. Most 1911 malfunctions are from bad mags. I use Wilson Combat mags (mostly the 47D model) exclusively and have no problems. These mags are regularly dropped onto rocks, and into mud and dirt in matches and never have a problem - hugh fan.

If someone really likes the 1911 and doesn't like the idea of qualifying a weapon with a break in period, Les Baer, Wilson Combat, Nighthawk Custom and Ed Brown all make very nice, highly machined, quality 1911s. Just be prepared to spend north of $2k for one. I will have a stable of Baers, a Nighthawk or two and some Browns when the budget allows. Google these names and prepare to be stimulated by some quality gun pron. :pantstight:

Man, a lot of those custom 1911's are insanely nice. Maybe some day.

I feel inspired to get out to the range. I never seem to find the time, and frankly am no longer as proficient as I should be. Oh, you don't lose all that much with the passage of time, but what you lose is nonetheless significant.

I think I'll take advantage of the warm weather here in Denver the next two days. Maybe handguns today and shotguns tomorrow. (With rifle seasons being upon us I have been able to spend some time on that. In fact the freezer is full. GB trading some Elk for some antelope and pheasant. Variety is wonderful.)

GB trading some Elk for some antelope and pheasant. Variety is wonderful.)

I am running low on elk, bear and moose but have a lot of grouse, cockbirds and walleye. Venison is about were is should be. Turned all the geese and ducks into brats... man they are good.

If your wife is potentially going to be using the pistola DO NOT GET ANYTHING OVER A .380. I have found that my wife is very uncomfortable shooting my .45 and .40.

The problem with the .380 is that most of them have a tendency to be compact, short barreled weapons (though not all of them are) leading to a less accurate weapon. You may be better served purchasing a .22 LR or .25 match/competition pistol with a 4.5" to 6" barrel. S&W, Ruger, Beretta, etc... all make these and they are fairly reasonably priced.

Remember, anyone hears a gunshot go off in you house and sees the muzzle flash, they're going in the opposite direction.

Good point Rajn, although if said wife is never going to handle the firearm or practice with it, it might be a better idea to get her a smaller caliber revolver for herself.

Yup.. I know it was mentioned above that "if she's not going to practice with it", but you should never have a person with acees to the gun who's not prepared and comfortable with pulling the trigger. I agree that you're probably going to want to lower caliber for her, but most important is that she shoots enough to be comfortable and accurate enough using it if she has to...

As per the accuracy, I remember when my grandparents split up, my granddad left a short 4 or 5 shooter revolver ,something like a .287 maybe? Point being, we went out to shoot it one day and see how it did, and you couldn't hit anything with that thing, even from 10-15 out... So while my granddad's heart was in the right place, in reality it was little help when experienced shooters couldn't even hit anything with it.

No doubt your wife should have no access to a guy unless she's willing to go out and get completely comfortable with it, and same goes for anyone with a new weapon. It's just good practice, regardless of how experienced you are...

Yup.. I know it was mentioned above that "if she's not going to practice with it", but you should never have a person with acees to the gun who's not prepared and comfortable with pulling the trigger. I agree that you're probably going to want to lower caliber for her, but most important is that she shoots enough to be comfortable and accurate enough using it if she has to...

As per the accuracy, I remember when my grandparents split up, my granddad left a short 4 or 5 shooter revolver ,something like a .287 maybe? Point being, we went out to shoot it one day and see how it did, and you couldn't hit anything with that thing, even from 10-15 out... So while my granddad's heart was in the right place, in reality it was little help when experienced shooters couldn't even hit anything with it.

No doubt your wife should have no access to a guy unless she's willing to go out and get completely comfortable with it, and same goes for anyone with a new weapon. It's just good practice, regardless of how experienced you are...

Excellent advice.

Also you want to put her in a bikini and give her a machine gun, and take video of her shooting it from a moving speedboat, her long hair whipping around in the breeze and the salt water splashing upon her taut, supple skin. Go ahead and post the video online and share the URL so we can assess whether she is employing proper form.

I have a Kimber Stainless II .45acp that I put some Crimson Trace grips on and I love it. I carry it almost almost all the time. Since I'm a bigger guy I have no problems concealing a full sized 1911.

I first bought my wife a S&W J frame .38 special, and found that she liked shooting my .45 a lot better. Most of the small .38's in revolver are so light the felt recoil is much higher than that of a .45 in a semi. I traded her .38 for a bunch of reloading equipment (Still need to set it up in the garage, once the charity comes and picks up a bunch of crap my wife is giving away). I've since bought my wife a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II which is a .45 acp. She's about 5'-7" and 125 lbs and has no problems shooting it. 9mm are good for little girls.

Like Jimmy said, once you've shot a 1911 you aren't going to want anything other type of pistol for defense. If someone were to break in to my house I'm going to get the shotgun if I have time, but if I don't, I know the 1911 will do it's job if I do mine. I'm not sure a 9mm will.

Hey Jimmy, I just traded my .454 Casull Super Redhawk for a S&W 500. I've got to say I like the 500 a whole lot better. It actually has a lot less felt recoil. Of course it is almost a full pound heavier and has a muzzle break. You should see what a Hornady 350gr XTP mag will do to Porky.

I try to restrict my wife's access, but I am gone all day to work.

Once she's comfortable then the guy is fair game :wacko:

:tup:

Hey Jimmy, I just traded my .454 Casull Super Redhawk for a S&W 500. I've got to say I like the 500 a whole lot better. It actually has a lot less felt recoil. Of course it is almost a full pound heavier and has a muzzle break. You should see what a Hornady 350gr XTP mag will do to Porky.

I've shot the .500. I think it crosses the line between handgun and hand cannon. :wacko:

I have a Kimber Stainless II .45acp that I put some Crimson Trace grips on and I love it. I carry it almost almost all the time. Since I'm a bigger guy I have no problems concealing a full sized 1911.

I first bought my wife a S&W J frame .38 special, and found that she liked shooting my .45 a lot better. Most of the small .38's in revolver are so light the felt recoil is much higher than that of a .45 in a semi. I traded her .38 for a bunch of reloading equipment (Still need to set it up in the garage, once the charity comes and picks up a bunch of crap my wife is giving away). I've since bought my wife a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II which is a .45 acp. She's about 5'-7" and 125 lbs and has no problems shooting it. 9mm are good for little girls.

Like Jimmy said, once you've shot a 1911 you aren't going to want anything other type of pistol for defense. If someone were to break in to my house I'm going to get the shotgun if I have time, but if I don't, I know the 1911 will do it's job if I do mine. I'm not sure a 9mm will.

Yeah, I'll never forget the time a huge nutjob whacked out on PCP broke into my condo. I immediately took out my 9mm, ran into the living room

and shot him three times in the gut. He just laughed, ripped my stereo off the shelf and hurled it at my head. I ducked and kept firing. Emptied all 15 rounds into him, the last three point-blank to the head. It had zero effect. He ended up chewing my legs off, then robbed me of all my valuables -- two TVs, gold chain, watches, bearer bonds, down jacket, even my prized leather recliner.

After I got my new legs I vowed, never again. Now I keep a .50 cal Bushmaster chain gun mounted to the nightstand. That's just for the wife of course -- the two boxes of grenades and shoulder-fired anti-aircraft missile are all mine. The crazies out there smoke meth nowadays, gotta keep up.

I gave the 9mm to my wife's niece. She's 6, so the gun is perfect for her. She made up a game where she blindfolds her dolls and blows their heads off. Ask her what they did and she says they're "traitors" but she can't really pronounce it -- so damn cute.

Yeah, I'll never forget the time a huge nutjob whacked out on PCP broke into my condo. I immediately took out my 9mm, ran into the living room

and shot him three times in the gut. He just laughed, ripped my stereo off the shelf and hurled it at my head. I ducked and kept firing. Emptied all 15 rounds into him, the last three point-blank to the head. It had zero effect. He ended up chewing my legs off, then robbed me of all my valuables -- two TVs, gold chain, watches, bearer bonds, down jacket, even my prized leather recliner.

After I got my new legs I vowed, never again. Now I keep a .50 cal Bushmaster chain gun mounted to the nightstand. That's just for the wife of course -- the two boxes of grenades and shoulder-fired anti-aircraft missile are all mine. The crazies out there smoke meth nowadays, gotta keep up.

I gave the 9mm to my wife's niece. She's 6, so the gun is perfect for her. She made up a game where she blindfolds her dolls and blows their heads off. Ask her what they did and she says they're "traitors" but she can't really pronounce it -- so damn cute.

Well done. :wacko:

If Perch can't kill someone with a P226, he's the one with the problem, not you matt.

:wacko:

So, based on your vast knowledge of firearms, which leaves a larger permanent wound track, a 9mm or a .45acp? Which would you rather have assuming you are a capable marksmen with both? It's like a VW versus a BMW. Both will get you where you want to go if you know how to drive them, the BMW will just get you there a little faster and in more comfort.

So, based on your vast knowledge of firearms, which leaves a larger permanent wound track, a 9mm or a .45acp? Which would you rather have assuming you are a capable marksmen with both? It's like a VW versus a BMW. Both will get you where you want to go if you know how to drive them, the BMW will just get you there a little faster and in more comfort.

Well according to you, the VW may or may not get you there at all.

I have no doubt that you know a lot more about guns than I do. But I've put thousands of rounds through my PT92 and I have a good idea of what it can do. I have no doubts whatsoever in its power nor in my ability to take down an adversary if faced with that situation. The Taurus is a clone of the Beretta 92 which has been used by military and law enforcement for decades. I did some research before I bought it and the consensus from everything I read and everyone I spoke to at that time is that 9mm is a fine home defense weapon. Many police still carry a 9mm and they are a hell of a lot more likely to have to rely on their piece to save their lives than hopefully I ever will be. It goes without saying that larger caliber rounds are going to do more damage, but to suggest that a 9mm may not stop someone (I guess unless they are wearing body armor??) is absurd.

Well according to you, the VW may or may not get you there at all.

I have no doubt that you know a lot more about guns than I do. But I've put thousands of rounds through my PT92 and I have a good idea of what it can do. I have no doubts whatsoever in its power nor in my ability to take down an adversary if faced with that situation. The Taurus is a clone of the Beretta 92 which has been used by military and law enforcement for decades. I did some research before I bought it and the consensus from everything I read and everyone I spoke to at that time is that 9mm is a fine home defense weapon. Many police still carry a 9mm and they are a hell of a lot more likely to have to rely on their piece to save their lives than hopefully I ever will be. It goes without saying that larger caliber rounds are going to do more damage, but to suggest that a 9mm may not stop someone (I guess unless they are wearing body armor??) is absurd.

As a former VW owner, I can say definitively that on each long road trip I often worried whether the VW would get me there or not.

I would not own a BMW.

I carried my Sig 1911 when driving the VW.