[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big House or Small Commute

MrTed46

Would you

- prefer to have a small place you call home and live real close to work

- prefer a decent home with an hour commute to work

- prefer the house of your dreams where you can see yourself retiring and staying forever but 2 hour commute to work

Let's assume the cost of the home and taxes etc are all the same. The ONLY difference is quality of home and commuting time.

I didn't do a poll because I didnt want to add puddy

ETA: assume the commute is a big toll on you, wife and kids don't get affected by this.

Edited by MrTed46

Would you

- prefer to have a small place you call home and live real close to work

- prefer a decent home with an hour commute to work

- prefer the house of your dreams where you can see yourself retiring and staying forever but 2 hour commute to work

Let's assume the cost of the home and taxes etc are all the same. The ONLY difference is quality of home and commuting time.

I didn't do a poll because I didnt want to add puddy

ETA: assume the commute is a big toll on you, wife and kids don't get affected by this.

You don't have to ASSUME that it would be a toll onn you and your family. It would be. I would opt for decent home and an hour commute. You could always move later and jobs could change as well.

I would pick option 2 with your conditions.

I live about 20 minutes from home, and sometimes wish the commute was LONGER so I would ahve more time to decompress . . :wacko:

I've asked this question to my friend who lives 2.5 hours each way to work. He told me, he doesn't mind it at all because that's his time to think and decompress and even relax. He is on a comfortable train most of the way.

I've asked someone who lived 10minutes from his job and he said he wouldn't have it any other way.

It's all preference. I'm obviously house shopping and I found my dream home but it is 1.5-2hr commute each way to my current job. The price is acually significantly cheaper than a house I'm browsing that is hour away that i'm so-so on. I like to hear everyone's opinions but it will all come down to me and my wife.

None of the above. You act like an hour is a "medium sized" commute but it's not, pretty sure it's more than most. Even with my dream home and an hour commute I'd have to think about it cuz been there/done that and it sucked and got very very old, and I'm the type who likes to drive (or can tolerate it).

None of the above. You act like an hour is a "medium sized" commute but it's not, pretty sure it's more than most. Even with my dream home and an hour commute I'd have to think about it cuz been there/done that and it sucked and got very very old, and I'm the type who likes to drive (or can tolerate it).

I've been doing an average 1hr 15min for 7 years now and got used to it. It's all relative. Here in NYC if you live outside of the city, 1 hr is darn good.

The commute would be the same if I drove or took train.

Edited by MrTed46

To me it is, hence my 3 options.

But you weren't asking you the question, you were asking everybody else who live all over the place. Not meaning to bust your chops and see where you're going w/this, just pointing out that presenting an hour commute as a moderate option is (by my guesstimate only) not accurate for most. But to the point, I used to be all about the commute worth more house. Shifting more to the middle now.

Edited by BeeR

We opted for a smaller house but more centrally located. I could have 3 McMansions 1.5hrs out for the price of my house.

We utilize every square foot and love it.

This is a good point. I know some people with really big houses that have rooms they never even use.

If you can make it work with the short commute then I'd go that route if I were you.

I will add that we love our large home, but I did not have to compromise for a long commute. Having more space than we need really adds more peace in the family. It also ensures the kids' friends want to hang out here - which is important to us. Food for thought.

seems difficult to assume that if you do have a wife and kids. this is an extra 10 or more hours a week that comes directly out of your time at home.

I for one prioritize the short commute. the primary tradeoff for us isn't square footage for a comparable price so much as it is the age and layout of the house. the closer in houses are all old. which I like in a lot of ways, but it would be nice to have a master bath, some bigger bedrooms, etc.

My commute is 26 miles one way and can take close to an hour depending on traffic. There are other considerations besides size of house such as quality of neighborhood, schools, etc. I like our location much better than when we first moved here. Then we were downtown and about 5 minutes to work in an apartment. Much better quality of life in the burbs.

There seems to be an implication here of it being all about commute time vs SIZE of the house only when that isn't necessarily the case by any means, but rather overall how "nice" the house is (bigger, newer, bigger/better yard, better neighborhood, etc etc).