[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bone Marrow Donor

tazinib1

Sent off my bone marrow kit today. When I first received it in the mail, I was like "what the hell did I just do". Apparently, I signed up online after drinking a few too many shots of Goldschlager :wacko: After some heavy soul searching and deciding if I really wanted to do this, I came to the conclusion that yes...yes I do want to do this. Probably the best drunk decision I've ever made. Now I gotta wait and see if I'm a match....that would be pretty damned special.

Just a small cliffnote on this subject. I didn't post this to receive accolades. It's a 14 week commitment if I'm a match. That was an extremely large portion of my thought process of doing this or not. The fact that I'm able to receive full unemployment during that time (roughly $2k per month...I know not much but it will get me by) led to me saying yes. This is a non monetary compensation thing. At least I can say I did something with my life...saving a life. The fact I have to get stabbed in the back multiple times into my spine was another. Endear that much pain in order to possibly save a life? No brainer....can't wait for the results.

Just a small cliffnote on this subject. I didn't post this to receive accolades. It's a 14 week commitment if I'm a match. That was an extremely large portion of my thought process of doing this or not. The fact that I'm able to receive full unemployment during that time (roughly $2k per month...I know not much but it will get me by) led to me saying yes. This is a non monetary compensation thing. At least I can say I did something with my life...saving a life. The fact I have to get stabbed in the back multiple times into my spine was another. Endear that much pain in order to possibly save a life? No brainer....can't wait for the results.

:wacko:

Congrats on a very noble decision.

Ok, I'll be honest here. I usually just scan these forums for FF advice, the humor (which is too damn funny that i have milk coming out my nose) and general interesting conversations, but now this is a whole new ball game for me. I never knew that Bone Marrow donations could affect a another life in this way. I am reading the materials and what an impact!

I usually poo-poo my New Years resolutions by 2nd week of January. I think this will be a New Years resolution I will stick to....to sign up to be a donor.

Thank you. :wacko: Your donation story is now positive in more than one way! (Granted, I wasnt drinking when I read all of these materials) :tup:

Ok, I'll be honest here. I usually just scan these forums for FF advice, the humor (which is too damn funny that i have milk coming out my nose) and general interesting conversations, but now this is a whole new ball game for me. I never knew that Bone Marrow donations could affect a another life in this way. I am reading the materials and what an impact!

I usually poo-poo my New Years resolutions by 2nd week of January. I think this will be a New Years resolution I will stick to....to sign up to be a donor.

Thank you. :wacko: Your donation story is now positive in more than one way! (Granted, I wasnt drinking when I read all of these materials) :tup:

Wow. Glad I could inspire somebody for something. When you go to Be The Match you can sign up and read all the info regarding what you are doing. When you get your packet in the mail, it will contain 4 swabs. 2 saliva swabs per side and you ship it off. Let us know if you decide you can commit...remember, its a 14 week commitment with ZERO monetary compensation. But the potential reward is ....well...priceless.

Edited by tazinib1

Wow. Glad I could inspire somebody for something. When you go to Be The Match you can sign up and read all the info regarding what you are doing. When you get your packet in the mail, it will contain 4 swabs. 2 saliva swabs per side and you ship it off. Let us know if you decide you can commit...remember, its a 14 week commitment with ZERO monetary compensation. But the potential reward is ....well...priceless.

Im on the site now soaking up knowledge. I will let you know the minute I sign up. It is a big decision, and I didnt get to that 14 week part yet. Is that 14 weeks from time you get the initial notification to the end of donation/recovery?

Im on the site now soaking up knowledge. I will let you know the minute I sign up. It is a big decision, and I didnt get to that 14 week part yet. Is that 14 weeks from time you get the initial notification to the end of donation/recovery?

14 weeks is time of donation

Well Taz, now I can thank you for two things in life: Taking all of my crappy players in AFL and FDSB, and inspiring me to sign up to be a Bone Marrow Donor. I'll have my kit in two weeks.

I'm the biggest pansy in the entire world when it comes to pain and needles, but if I have the opportunity to put my money where my mouth is and be the kind of change that I want to see in the world, then I guess I'll take it.

Well Taz, now I can thank you for two things in life: Taking all of my crappy players in AFL and FDSB, and inspiring me to sign up to be a Bone Marrow Donor. I'll have my kit in two weeks.

I'm the biggest pansy in the entire world when it comes to pain and needles, but if I have the opportunity to put my money where my mouth is and be the kind of change that I want to see in the world, then I guess I'll take it.

Wow again. Thanks Kyle....love ya brother.

Not so fast Taz

Men Who Have Sex with Men

Men who have had sex with other men within the past 5 years are currently not eligible to register as a potential volunteer donor. This is because men who have sex with men are, as a group, at increased risk for HIV. See more information regarding this criterion.