[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

great news

muck

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what it's worth, a very lightly reported aspect of all of this is the huge environmental problems that are posed when trying to dispose of the "new" lightbulbs that are not a problem with the "old" types of lightbulbs.

If you love the planet and want to use the new bulbs, realize that you may really be damaging the earth more than if you just stuck with the "old" lightbulbs to begin with.

For what it's worth, a very lightly reported aspect of all of this is the huge environmental problems that are posed when trying to dispose of the "new" lightbulbs that are not a problem with the "old" types of lightbulbs.

If you love the planet and want to use the new bulbs, realize that you may really be damaging the earth more than if you just stuck with the "old" lightbulbs to begin with.

I for one really hate the light that comes from those new lightbulbs, so this is good news.

PLUS, it is very confusing to shop for light bulbs these days, I don't even know what I am buying these days.

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

I for one really hate the light that comes from those new lightbulbs, so this is good news.

I agree with compact fluorescent bulbs, but CREE makes an LED with a really warm spectrum. We were at a Xmas party at my wife's boss's house and he'd replaced all his 6" recessed cans with them and they looked great. There's a rating number and the blue hued LED lights are rated around 4000, the more yellow light comes in around 2700.

At any rate, they're not cheap but do use 1/10th the amount of electricity and last 35,000 hours.

I agree with compact fluorescent bulbs, but CREE makes an LED with a really warm spectrum. We were at a Xmas party at my wife's boss's house and he'd replaced all his 6" recessed cans with them and they looked great. There's a rating number and the blue hued LED lights are rated around 4000, the more yellow light comes in around 2700.

At any rate, they're not cheap but do use 1/10th the amount of electricity and last 35,000 hours.

That "warm" you are talking about is called daylight. And you cant match that with practicals (modern day house lights). Praticals are considered tungsten. Here ya go

And yes, I know all those formula's.

Edited by tazinib1

I use CFLs quite a bit and don't have a problem with them. Great for certain non-dimmable fixtures that you don't want to change often. I have no problem recycling them as my township has recycling days where you can just drop them off.

Although I have no opinion either way on the politics of the issue, I felt it was worth noting that there is a select population that cannot handle the light emitted from CFL light bulbs. I'm curious to know what kind testing this lights have undergone before becoming mandatory.

A coworker in the office next door broke out into a large rash that doctors originally thought could be a serious skin disorder. Guy took some vacation and it cleared right up. Turns out that the office has installed CFLs in his office two weeks prior. Doctors tested him again and confirmed his "allergy" so to speak.

He has since bought a lifetime supply of incandescents, inefficient as they may be. Food for thought.

That and you have to wear a hazmat suit to clean up a broken bulb and leave your house for three weeks until the EPA can come in and "properly" abate any contamination. If any of your children were exposed to the area where the bulb broke they are taken form you and placed in state custody for four weeks while they are observed for any signs of contamination. You don't want to know what happens to your dog if it was in the area of the broken bulb.

Although I have no opinion either way on the politics of the issue, I felt it was worth noting that there is a select population that cannot handle the light emitted from CFL light bulbs. I'm curious to know what kind testing this lights have undergone before becoming mandatory.

A coworker in the office next door broke out into a large rash that doctors originally thought could be a serious skin disorder. Guy took some vacation and it cleared right up. Turns out that the office has installed CFLs in his office two weeks prior. Doctors tested him again and confirmed his "allergy" so to speak.

He has since bought a lifetime supply of incandescents, inefficient as they may be. Food for thought.

You know you haven't been able to put incandescent lamps in an office application for several years? I mean there probably isn't a building built in the last 15 years has incandescent bulbs (outside of churches). So the places where the majority of Americans spend most of their awake hours have been under fluorescent bulbs for a long time.

There are a lot of LED alternatives coming out (which I like better than the CFLs). Personally I think it's kind of stupid to say businesses should have energy efficient lighting but homeowners can do whatever they want.