[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Redskins/Rams deal for 1.2

keggerz

Edit: Got to thinking...I was really down on Cam Newton this time last year and look how well he did. :thinking:

Me too but so was everyone else for the most part. With RG3 it seems like the opposite is true - most think he's a beast. I think the success of Cam is skewing skewing the expectations of people this year with RG3. Time will tell.

ok, you tell me who you consider to be a great evaluator of QB talent, and then I'll point out all the scrubs he picked up off the waiver wire or in the late rounds of the draft to, I guess, prove you wrong. that should be fun.

drafted and gone long before shanahan was the head coach.

Really, he was a Dan Reeves guy? Wow how memory can fail. Sorry, carry on.

And the Rams made out like bandits.

I like to envision that conversation as going something like:

Was - "We want your 2012 #1; we'll give you our 2012 #1, 2013 #1..."

Rams - "We'll do it! Yes!"

Was - "...our 2014 #1..."

Rams - "YES!!!"

Was - "...and our 2012 #2."

Rams - :light cigarette: "Stop back some time sailor"

Edited by Chavez
  • Like 1

Reeks of incompetence and desperation, so not a hugh surprise it's the Redskins doing it. I feel for their fans.

If RG3 becomes a superstar, they got their money's worth. But we all know what a big "if" that is, and how many "can't miss" players, especially QB's, have been busts. The potential downside here is too great, because if they misfire, it sets the team back years beyond just the 2013 and 2014 picks they pissed away.

Why is it so difficult to watch the successful franchises and how they build their teams?

I like to envision that conversation as going something like: Was - "We want your 2012 #1; we'll give you our 2012 #1, 2013 #1..." Rams - "We'll do it! Yes!" Was - "...our 2014 #1..." Rams - "YES!!!" Was - "...and our 2012 #2." Rams - :light cigarette: "Stop back some time sailor"

:lol:

Why is it so difficult to watch the successful franchises and how they build their teams?

I think in Snyder's (and Shanahan's) case, that would mean admitting you aren't the smartest guy out there.

If I am RG3, I am a little bummed out. he now gets to face Philly, Dallas and NYG six times. he is going to be running for his life. And they have no weapons on offense of note. If I am Colston of VJackson, I am smiling because the rRedskins HAVE TO pay one of them to come and be the primary target fro Griffin.

I am not a fan of Snyder or Shanahan so I am sad to see Griffin go there. However, I think Shanahan gets the boot if they do not shwo any improvement this year.

I would have rather seen him in Cleveland - it would have been better for the league to have a team like Cleveland get him and start to build than the Redskins.

Going up against Ray Lewis, PIT's D, and an emerging D in CIN is much better? OK, so CIN kinda drags that down (for now, just wait).

Wow,

Time will tell if he was worth the price but no question the Rams made out like bandits.

WADR to our new regime in STL, I'll believe it when I see it. How many years in a row have we drafted mucho-ineptly? Every year for the past 8 years +? Sure, we've hit on a few, but for the most part, not.

Any chance Shanahan does his usual “I don’t want to put too much pressure on him too early. He’s not ready for that. But he’s gaining experience, and I like what I see” and starts a QBBC?

I know it is not going to happen, but I would laugh my ass off if he did.

Reeks of incompetence and desperation, so not a hugh surprise it's the Redskins doing it. I feel for their fans.

If RG3 becomes a superstar, they got their money's worth. But we all know what a big "if" that is, and how many "can't miss" players, especially QB's, have been busts. The potential downside here is too great, because if they misfire, it sets the team back years beyond just the 2013 and 2014 picks they pissed away.

you mean like your SB champ giants, who traded away even more to go up and grab eli?

Edited by Azazello1313

There is nothing more important to a team then having a "franchise" QB. If a team that doesn't have one thinks that one of those guys is available in the first round of the draft, I think that the team has to do just about whatever it takes to get him.

Read this and thought it interesting

In the last three years, Washington is 5-11, 6-10 and 4-12. Since Snyder bought the team in 1999, Washington has had only three winning seasons -- and six different coaches.

Why would Shanahan make this trade?

A) His owner wants it.

b )His record in his first two seasons was 5-11 and 6-10.

C) If he doesn't win now, he'll be fired because Snyder likes to hire and fire big names coaches. So he won't have to worry about the future and those draft choices.

Edited by loaf

Seems a high price to me. If it doesn't work out that he is Matt Ryan or better they are screwed for years. I believe they would have been much better off making a play for Matt Flynn, drafting Russel Wilson in round 5 to offer competition and maybe an occassional slash type rolem and rolling with their draft choices. I mean they were looking at 2 choices in the top 40.

It's just another example of a once proud franchise that is in complete disarray and have no long term plan on how to improve.

Shanahan starts stockpiling picks with the idea to build depth across the entire team, they are in position to sign FAs with their cap number...then they get all excited about the 2nd best QB in the draft and throw half of that strategy away on the chance this guy is the second coming.

We would have been better of drafting defensive and offensive line help in the long run.

I like what I've seen of RGIII, I just hope we can put a decent enough team around him and have the patience to develop into the player he could be.

Read this and thought it interesting

In the last three years, Washington is 5-11, 6-10 and 4-12. Since Snyder bought the team in 1999, Washington has had only three winning seasons -- and six different coaches.

Why would Shanahan make this trade?

A) His owner wants it.

b )His record in his first two seasons was 5-11 and 6-10.

C) If he doesn't win now, he'll be fired because Snyder likes to hire and fire big names coaches. So he won't have to worry about the future and those draft choices.

why are you talking so softly? kinda weird

Excellent article on what this all means from nfl.com

I think Griffin in Washington is very intriguing, to go along with a good defense and running game... You get him a good wideout in free-agency, and that Skins team could contend pretty quick... Though of course, just as the Falcons learned with Julio last year, even if it's the right move, it's going to cost you in other areas...

I still think a guy like Griffin is worth it, and at very least gets Washington heading in some sort of direction... As we've seen with Ryan, Stafford, Newton and Dalton recently, a good QB can turn your luck around a lot quicker than you'd think.

He's gonna be there best QB in 20 years. Not sure if you can dismiss that. High price? Sure...I won't debate that. But lets not forget they desperately need tackles for pass protection. The guys they have in there now are nose breathers designed for the running game and couldn't pass block if their lives depended on it.

It was steep but I'm afraid was the right move. They have needed a legit QB for so long it's ridiculous, QBs are of increasing importance in this league, and IMO he is in fact the real deal.

omg Snyder did something right.

So, for the Rams their infusion of talent this year will be #6, #34 & #38, the remainder of the draft where they pick early each round, and a return to health from a pretty serious rash of injuries.

With their division having grown stronger last year this will not be enough to get to the playoffs this year. If they can set their sights squarely on 2 and more years out and stick to a plan they are certainly headed in the right direction. That may mean, however, looking toward the veteran side of their roster, thinking about who will not be around in 2 years or more, and getting value for them now. Does this mean Jackson gets offered up to a R.B. needy superbowl contender like say the Patriots for some future consideration. I know if I were the Rams GM I would think about that. What about moving him to the Jets? The consideration need not be this year. I would even think about splitting the consideration between 2013 & 2014.