[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Decker or Thomas

Papajohn

We recently had a thread about whether to choose A.J. Green or Julio Jones (http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?/topic/379428-aj-or-julio/) that I found very interesting and I was hoping we could repeat the succes with a Decker or Thomas thread.

The reason is that I was mildly shocked to see Decker ranked ahead of Thomas in The Huddle's ranking of players (if this is giving content away for free then I will of course delete this sentence) and a few other rankings as well. Some of them agree wth me though.

Last season I thought Thomas was the superior talent, and also the better fantasy option both late in the season and going forward and I didn't think the arrival of Manning changed that. If anything Manning has improved both their values relative to any non-Broncos WR.

I will admit that I am probably biased toward Thomas because he was a part of my championship winning fantasy team (not a very well hidden brag :D) and at the time I picked him up I basically didn't have a WR3, so he contributed a lot to my team.

But who would you choose and why?

And has the arrival of Manning had something to do with their ranking or was I just wrong from the get go?

• Like 1

That is all something that has to be sorted out in training camp and it is all a big guess at this point. The rankings reflect Manning himself saying how much he liked Decker and that the two had worked by themselves in the spring at times. Thomas could be the primary as well but just has not gotten the favorable mentions by Manning so far. The entire Denver team is going to be a moving target this summer and I would suspect their rankings will all change as we know more.

From ESPN...

Manning is clearly impressed with third-year receiver Eric Decker. Manning called Decker the “veteran” of the receivers group and spoke highly of him. Manning said the coaching staff wants to move Decker around and use him in several different ways. Decker and Demaryius Thomas are Denver’s starting receivers. Manning said the group, as a whole, seems to be a hardworking unit.

I started a thread awhile back titled "Decker = Collie circa 2009-2010?" I think Decker will be especially valuable in a PPR league and could be a steal in the 5-6th round of a 10 team redraft. While I think Thomas will cost more and produce the same/less in that format.

I started a thread awhile back titled "Decker = Collie circa 2009-2010?" I think Decker will be especially valuable in a PPR league and could be a steal in the 5-6th round of a 10 team redraft. While I think Thomas will cost more and produce the same/less in that format.

Here's the link to the other thread.

That is all something that has to be sorted out in training camp and it is all a big guess at this point. The rankings reflect Manning himself saying how much he liked Decker and that the two had worked by themselves in the spring at times. Thomas could be the primary as well but just has not gotten the favorable mentions by Manning so far. The entire Denver team is going to be a moving target this summer and I would suspect their rankings will all change as we know more.

From ESPN...

This guy knows what he's talking about :brownnose:

Here's my take on the two. I compare the two to Wayne (Decker) and Garcon (DThomas). As we lead up to FF draft day I expect DThomas to overtake Decker in draft order, due to superior talent. Much like Manning to Garcon, even though DThomas has superior talent, I believe Manning is going to have more confidence in Decker to be where he is supposed to be. Garcon didn't flurish until last year, when we all know where Manning was. Without a stud signal caller Indy depended on Garcon's ability rather than Wayne's dependibility.

I think Decker will be the better value, and put up better overall numbers.

Here's my take on the two. I compare the two to Wayne (Decker) and Garcon (DThomas). As we lead up to FF draft day I expect DThomas to overtake Decker in draft order, due to superior talent. Much like Manning to Garcon, even though DThomas has superior talent, I believe Manning is going to have more confidence in Decker to be where he is supposed to be. Garcon didn't flurish until last year, when we all know where Manning was. Without a stud signal caller Indy depended on Garcon's ability rather than Wayne's dependibility.

I think Decker will be the better value, and put up better overall numbers.

It's hard for me to compare the Broncos to the Colts considering that they don't have the same O.C. Will they be running a similar offense as the Colts did with Manning?

I agree that Thomas is physically superior compared to Decker. But that doesn't necessarily draw more targets from a guy like Manning, who is fully capable of throwing guys open (when he's healthy). Thomas also has a very frustrating penchant for dropping passes due to an alarming lack of concentration, which has a tendency to turn a QB like Manning away. When Manning puts a ball in a spot a WR can catch it, he expects the WR to do his job.

So I think we'll see both guys get their share of targets, but in the long run I think Decker becomes Manning's go-to guy to keep the offense moving up & down the field, and Thomas becomes his downfield homerun hitter. So I could see both guys putting up very similar yards and TDs - kind of a 1A/1B tandem, but I think Decker will have more catches, be more consistent game-to-game, and has the better chance of the two to outperform the other. I think Thomas will put up some big games, but then he'll have some games that are extremely pedestrian, which can cause FF owners to pull their hair out with the roller coaster production. Don't forget, when Thomas broke out, Tebow was over on the sideline pumping him up after drops and keeping his head in the game. Manning is going to chew Thomas' ass after bad drops - and who knows how Thomas will react? He's already shown an immature side.

If I had to choose between the two, I think I'd rather have Decker over Thomas right now - and again, this is assuming Manning stays healthy all year, which is not a given no matter what people are saying when the guys are working out right now in tees & shorts. And that perception of the two could change during preseason if Manning sees that Thomas has become more reliable. If Manning goes down some time during the year? There's a decent chance you won't be starting either guy as a FF owner. Osweiler is no where near ready, and Caleb Hanie would be third string or lower in MIA. That should factor into your FF rankings somehow.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I wouldn't mind having both of these guys.....if I could, I would draft them back to back as a 2 and 3 WR later in the draft, but would rather have them as a 3 and 4 which would be ideal...

I just don't think that will be possible when August rolls around...

Well, despite reports from earlier OTAs, word is surfacing that Manning doesn't have his arm strength fully back yet. That lead to Manning admitting in interviews that he's still recovering - even though he didn't take a single snap last season. I think Jaws had it right - time is catching up with Manning, and between that and his multiple neck issues I have a feeling this guy is going to be a shadow of his former self, especially after getting battered around a bit in real contact during PS and the regular season. DEN won't be able to pull him off the field - he still is P Manning, DEN has a chasm-sized dropoff in QB abilty behind him, and Elway would look imcredibly stupid. I've got this really bad feeling that this isn't going to end well at all.

If you're drafting Manning at his current 5th round ADP, I think you'd better move up your backup QB plans a few rounds - which used to be a luxury Manning owners never needed to worry about.

Isn't Denver one of the better O lines? If they are, will Manning have more time than some other QB's? How does the Denver o compare to what Manning had in Indiana. No matter what he has lost he will still have the same ability to evaluate the field and command the drives, which is/was one of his strong suits. How would this play out vs his arm strength?

Both i

We recently had a thread about whether to choose A.J. Green or Julio Jones (http://forums.thehud...28-aj-or-julio/) that I found very interesting and I was hoping we could repeat the succes with a Decker or Thomas thread.

The reason is that I was mildly shocked to see Decker ranked ahead of Thomas in The Huddle's ranking of players (if this is giving content away for free then I will of course delete this sentence) and a few other rankings as well. Some of them agree wth me though.

Last season I thought Thomas was the superior talent, and also the better fantasy option both late in the season and going forward and I didn't think the arrival of Manning changed that. If anything Manning has improved both their values relative to any non-Broncos WR.

I will admit that I am probably biased toward Thomas because he was a part of my championship winning fantasy team (not a very well hidden brag :D) and at the time I picked him up I basically didn't have a WR3, so he contributed a lot to my team.

But who would you choose and why?

And has the arrival of Manning had something to do with their ranking or was I just wrong from the get go?

Personally, I feel like they both are going to have some decent value. It's probably too early to determine which one might be more valuable than the other.

IF Mannings arm strength is lacking, then give me the WRer with the better hands. Speed in netralized when it has to wait for the ball. Decker is my choice (although, in Fox's offense, I don't see either as more than a WRer 3).

Isn't Denver one of the better O lines? If they are, will Manning have more time than some other QB's? How does the Denver o compare to what Manning had in Indiana. No matter what he has lost he will still have the same ability to evaluate the field and command the drives, which is/was one of his strong suits. How would this play out vs his arm strength?

DEN run blocks well. DEN is awful at pass protection. Watch the NE playoff game - and that was hardly a dominant D line going through with about as much resistance as wet toilet paper.

DEN run blocks well. DEN is awful at pass protection. Watch the NE playoff game - and that was hardly a dominant D line going through with about as much resistance as wet toilet paper.

Denver's OL is one of the worst overall in the league. Did they address that area during FA and/or the draft? I been kinda busy.

I mean Walton was one of, if not the worst, center in the league last year. He was pretty much a wet piece of toilet paper in both pass/run protection, grading out as the worst in each category. G and T were both dismal as well as none of the line from 2011 cracked the top #40 at there position. That's horrific.

That being said, I'll take Decker and his year 3 "breakout" season. Hopefully, that OL will be able to make the adjustments when Peyton is calling audibles 25 times per game. We'll see....

That being said, I'll take Decker and his year 3 "breakout" season. Hopefully, that OL will be able to make the adjustments when Peyton is calling audibles 25 times per game per snap. We'll see....

A little correction.

Edited by Papajohn

Thanks for your answer. Doesn't sound like a good place for a QB coming off neck surgery.

IF Mannings arm strength is lacking, then give me the WRer with the better hands. Speed in netralized when it has to wait for the ball. Decker is my choice (although, in Fox's offense, I don't see either as more than a WRer 3).

is it Fox's offense or Peyton's?

was the QB able to read a defense well enough to adjust protection at the line? And even if he could, is anyone close to Peyton Manning at this?

Don't look for excuses that aren't there avernus. Clady's pass blocking has regressed significantly since his knee injury a couple of years ago and he's easily the best pass protector on the line. Kuper is a journeyman at RG, franklin is a road grader at RT but his feet are slow as molasses in January, and C Walton and LG Beadles just plain suck. I seriously doubt either of the latter two could start on any other team in the league. They may not even make final cuts on many teams. It is that bad. Sacks would have been astronomical without Tebow's strength and legs and the throwing being so limited last year.