[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Florida Passes Plan For Racially-Based Academic Goals

rajncajn

On Tuesday, the board passed a revised strategic plan that says that by 2018, it wants 90 percent of Asian students, 88 percent of white students, 81 percent of Hispanics and 74 percent of black students to be reading at or above grade level. For math, the goals are 92 percent of Asian kids to be proficient, whites at 86 percent, Hispanics at 80 percent and blacks at 74 percent. It also measures by other groupings, such as poverty and disabilities, reported the Palm Beach Post.

I tried to come up with something to add to this, but it's just so messed up I'm at a loss.

Forgot to post the link

http://tampa.cbslocal.com/2012/10/12/florida-passes-plan-for-racially-based-academic-goals/

Edited by rajncajn

I tried to come up with something to add to this, but it's just so messed up I'm at a loss.

We need more affirmative action laws to further reinforce the concept that people of darker skin colors, other than Asians and Indians, are somehow less intelligent than lighter skin colored people, excepting the Asians and Indians.

Yeah, something I've NEVER understood is how persons of other races/colors/whatever could be OK with affirmative discrimination stuff like this. They're essentially admitting they aren't good enough for the job/school/whatever without being graded on a curve. :shrug:

You'd be surprised at how many of those people loath affirmative action - it helps to reinforce those negative stereotypes within their own ethnic group

Yeah, something I've NEVER understood is how persons of other races/colors/whatever could be OK with affirmative discrimination stuff like this. They're essentially admitting they aren't good enough for the job/school/whatever without being graded on a curve. :shrug:

A lot of people are ok with something as long as it benefits them.

I thought that there might be a little more to these goals than the Have to agree here! presented

Others in the community agreed with Lopez’s assessment. But the Florida Department of Education said the goals recognize that not every group is starting from the same point and are meant to be ambitious but realistic.

As an example, the percentage of white students scoring at or above grade level (as measured by whether they scored a 3 or higher on the reading FCAT) was 69 percent in 2011-2012, according to the state. For black students, it was 38 percent, and for Hispanics, it was 53 percent.

Clearly they are recognizing that people are not starting from the same place, and are looking for greater improvement by both raw numbers and percentage from the groups that are in the lower ranges.

Take the labels off for a minute and it's not hard to see that they are just setting goals for improvement, not trying to keep anyone down. Would it be nice to have everyone doing exactly the same? Sure would be. Is it reasonable to look at student groups in terms of where they are at versus where the system can get them over the next 5-6 years? Yep.

Nothing to see here IMO.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

I graduated High School in 1984. The first wave of boat people had come over a few years earlier. Like four of the Top 7 in our class were Asians that couldn't speak English and had never set foot in this country 5 years earlier. :lol:

ETA: They were the only 4 Asians in the whole school.

Edited by TimC

I graduated High School in 1984. The first wave of boat people had come over a few years earlier. Like four of the Top 7 in our class were Asians that couldn't speak English and had never set foot in this country 5 years earlier. :lol:

ETA: They were the only 4 Asians in the whole school.

I bet they did horribly on those culturally biased standardized tests where the questions were using "peanut butter sandwiches" as examples rather than "tortas" or "pita" or whatever it is their people eat.

If Obama takes $20 million from whitey and redistributes it so poor people can have 280,000 free cell phones at $78 a month, how much do we have to borrow from China and never pay back?

45,000,000,000 Yuan

If 8-year old Chinese girl make 9 cent a month to make Apple I-Phone 5 for that sells to capitalist pig American for $499 dolla and Apple CEO makes $200 million dolla a year while manufacturing jobs are leaving country at 10% rate since 2000, how much dignity does average American have left?

If 8-year old Chinese girl make 9 cent a month to make Apple I-Phone 5 for that sells to capitalist pig American for $499 dolla and Apple CEO makes $200 million dolla a year while manufacturing jobs are leaving country at 10% rate since 2000, how much dignity does average American have left?

Can I split it up into groups...

47% have no dignity

43% have too much dignity

10% Have the right amount of dignity

If Chavez plants 10 bushes in my yard, then steals 3 of them to re-sell back to the nursery, how much welfare does his illegal immigrant family receive from me?

A) 7

B ) 42

C) Chavez doesn't work because he pumps out 2 babies every year to keep the benefits coming.

Edited by TimC