[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

An analysis of 12 team WCOFF mandatory TE drafting

Thews40

My man-crush on the TE position is no secret. If you consider that a TE in a 2RB’s, 3WR’s and 1 TE lineup make up 6 positions of your team, the TE is over 15% of the equation. To discount this input in a mandatory TE league is a recipe for failure. If you stack up on two TE’s and use one as a flex, what you’re doing is pulling one more weapon from an opposing team and leveraging yourself for trade bait.

This analysis is based on the Huddle Ladder draft so far of five 12 person leagues with a mandatory TE based on WCOFF rules. Here’s how it played out:

Jimmy Graham: 1:12, 2:05, 2:01, 2:05, 2:05

Rob Gronkowski: 4:12, 4:10, 3:11, 3:06, 3:06

Jason Witten: 4:07, 4:06, 4:07, 4:09, 5:05

Vernon Davis: 5:12, 5:11, 4:11, 5:05, 5:11

Tony Gonzalez: 6:02, 4:12, 5:10, 5:12, 5:10

Greg Olsen: 7:01, 6:11, 8:10, 9:09, 7:09

Jared Cook: 10:01, 8:07, 7:07, 9:07, 8:06

Kyle Rudolph: 8:05, 8:01, 10:01, 8:03,

Brandon Pettigrew: 8:06, 11:04, 10:08, 10:11

Jermichael Finley: 10:03, 7:10, 8:06, 10:01

My take…

Jimmy Graham

Is he worth the high pick? Contract year and healthy. He is Brees’ red zone target and an integral part of the offense. In my opinion, he’s worth it.

Rob Gronkowski

This is a wasted pick IMO. You’re talking about two serious injuries he’s recovering from and he’s still on the PUP list. Why risk such a high pick on him? He doesn’t have the Hernandez bookend, the defense doesn’t have to deal with Welker, and IMO this situation has tragedy written all over it. I wouldn’t touch Gronk with a ten-foot pole this year.

Jason Witten

Witten is a great PPR TE. He’ll get his shots in the red zone, but he is 31 and there are better options. Is he worth a 4th or 5th round pick? Probably, but again IMO there are better options.

Vernon Davis

Davis is lining up as a WR with Crabtree out. He wants to be a WR and he has huge upside. Kapernick and Davis have had some time to gel and IMO he has a very huge upside. It wouldn’t surprise me if Davis was the #1 TE at the end of the year.

Tony Gonzalez

Coaxed out of retirement for one more shot a ring, Gonzalez is at the end of his career. Don’t drink the KoolAid, because his points come from touchdowns. A 4th to 6th round pick here is wasted IMO, as there’s just too much downside and better options later.

Jared Cook

When a coach steps out on a limb and reaches for a player with a 35 million dollar contract, there’s a reason. I understand it’s the Rams and there’s question marks, but what isn’t questionable IMO is his role… he’s going to be an integral part of the offense. A huge upside here and huge value. Fantasy stats are based on last year’s games. Roll the dice here, and if you can get Cook in the 8th, it’s a safe and wise pick. Wait a few rounds more and get a TE that will catch 2 for 30 most games and you’ll get what you paid for.

Greg Olsen

Olsen is a red zone TE. Some weeks you get one, others you don’t. Fantasy football Superbowls are not won on peaks and valleys. If you wait too long to pick a TE while you stock up on backup RB’s, Olsen is what you get. It helps you sometimes, and kills you sometimes. You have to ask yourself, do you feel lucky?

Kyle Rudolph

He’s on the Vikings… don’t expect much most weeks. You’re digging at the lower part of the TE pool and you’ll be justly rewarded.

Brandon Pettigrew

Ok maybe, you know, if the stars align you’ll get a TD. Pettigrew isn’t an integral part of the offense IMO and will have some good games… some. How many is up to the universe, but it isn’t going to be consistent IMO. Is 5th place good enough, or do you want to win the SB?

Jermichael Finley

Finley is going to break out this year IMO. He’s a solid TE and will exceed expectations. If you pair him with another like Cook you should be fine and may have a solid flex. There’s big value here and if Finley winds up in the top 5 TE’s it shouldn’t be a surprise, in fact I sort of expect it.

Antonio Gates

I have plantar fasciitis in my left foot and it’s damn painful. I don’t see how this guy plays at all... it’s impressive. He was great at one time, but this injury is one evil monkey. Stay away from Gates.

The Huddle free top ten TE:

1) Jimmy Graham

2) Jason Witten

3) Rob Gronkowski

4) Vernon Davos

5) Jared Cook

6) Tony Gonzalez

7) Greg Olsen

8) Jermichacel Finley

9) Brandon Pettigrew

10 Antonio Gates

12 team PPR my fantasy football ADP since Aug 1st:

1) Jimmy Graham (14.45)

2) Rob Gronkowski (36.4)

3) Jason Witten (45.9)

4) Vernon Davis (55.4)

5) Tony Gonzalez (59.4)

6) Kyle Rudolph (82.6)

7) Greg Olsen (86.2)

8) Jermichacel Finley (94.3)

9) Jared Cook (95.2)

10 Antonio Gates (107.4)

My rankings:

1) Jimmy Graham

2) Vernon Davis

3) Jason Witten

4) Jared Cook

5) Jermichacel Finley

6) Greg Olsen

7) Owen Daniels

8) Tony Gonzalez

I’ll stop at 8, because after 8 it’s just hit and miss fodder IMO. And that’s all I have to say about that.

Tony Gonzalez

...Don’t drink the KoolAid, because his points come from touchdowns.

The 93 receptions and 930 yards don't hurt either.

Greg Olsen

Olsen is a red zone TE.

The 5 TDs aren't all THAT impressive, but the 69 receptions (6th among TEs) and 843 yards (4th among TEs) don't hurt anything.

Jared Cook and "Jermichacel" Finley don't even belong on the list.

Edited by Axe Elf

The 93 receptions and 930 yards don't hurt either.

The 5 TDs aren't all THAT impressive, but the 69 receptions (6th among TEs) and 843 yards (4th among TEs) don't hurt anything.

Jared Cook and "Jermichacel" Finley don't even belong on the list.

You're entitled to your opinion... we'll see who was right at the end of the year. BTW, you may want to present some actual data in support of your opinion.

As the Huddle's ignorant troll, you have presented a snippet of data that doesn't backup your post. I miss the days when the Huddle had people that actually cared to discuss fantasy football and their opinions. Now, we're left with the dregs like you. Shut up or put up troll.

Edited by Thews40

I got Gronk at 4.10 in a 12-teamer and thought that was great value. I understand the injuries, being on the PUP and Brady having less weapons and therefore defenses can focus on him. However, I still feel that IF he can stay healthy, other than Graham there's simply no one better. Gronk absolutely gives every owner who chooses him a decisive advantage week in and week out and will do so again this year. IMO, all you need to do when chooses Gronk early is try to grab a solid TE to back him up later with the likes of Cook, Pettigrew, Finley, Olsen. Hell, maybe even Brandon Myers, Bennett, Fred Davis, Daniels or Dickson.

I got Gronk at 4.10 in a 12-teamer and thought that was great value. I understand the injuries, being on the PUP and Brady having less weapons and therefore defenses can focus on him. However, I still feel that IF he can stay healthy, other than Graham there's simply no one better. Gronk absolutely gives every owner who chooses him a decisive advantage week in and week out and will do so again this year. IMO, all you need to do when chooses Gronk early is try to grab a solid TE to back him up later with the likes of Cook, Pettigrew, Finley, Olsen. Hell, maybe even Brandon Myers, Bennett, Fred Davis, Daniels or Dickson.

Without Hernandez and Welker, opposing D's can focus on him when he is healthy. I just think there's too much risk and not enough options to make his value worth the high draft pick.

Without Hernandez and Welker, opposing D's can focus on him when he is healthy. I just think there's too much risk and not enough options to make his value worth the high draft pick.

So you're saying by the time you'd actually take him he'd be long gone, so he's basically off your board. I get the idea that Amendola, Edelman and Dobson aren't exactly striking fear into the opponent, so we'll see how defenses take Gronk out of the equation and force others to beat them. Maybe Amendola can stay healthy and perform and/or Dobson can be that guy?

Edited by irish

So you're saying by the time you'd actually take him he'd be long gone, so he's basically off your board. I get the idea that Edelman and Dobson aren't exactly striking fear into the opponent, so we'll see how defenses take Gronk out of the equation and force others to beat them. Maybe Dobson can be that guy?

I'll bet that Gronk winds up in the bottom 20. He's not yet healed, and when/if he is, he'll get more attention without Hernandez and Welker in the mix. No way IMO is he worth a fourth round pick. This year is not last year.

seriously, anyone that references wcoff anymore when it comes to fantasy football is way out of touch, so you lose.

It's a point of reference to use WCOFF as the basis for the analysis ignoramus, because that's what it's based upon. Thanks for your blind input BTW (based on nothing), and it adds nothing to those that are drafting. Are you the alter ego of Baby Jane which also has nothing to add to this thread but rhetoric?

Edited by Thews40

I had nothing to add to it

Then go away troll.

, but plenty to subtract from it (i.e., the nonsense about Gonzo, Olsen, Cook and Finley).

Note how the troll adds nothing and no data... let me guess Captain hero, your opinion is based on last year's stats and you're an expert based on last year's stats? Just go away already... you're a tool looking to piss on trees and you have nothing but rhetoric to back it up.

Edited by Thews40

let me guess Captain hero, your opinion is based on last year's stats and you're an expert based on last year's stats?

No, I am an expert on what players' stats will be in 2013, and my opinions are based thereupon.

There are those of you who guess, and then there is Baby Jane, who knows.

I have a few comments on this. First of all the letters WCOFF should be banned from this site. Everybody knows the dowhill slide this entity has endured and their name is MUD in serious fantasy circles.

As for the tight end discussion, Jermichael Finley holds the same esteem in my eyes as WCOFF. Anyone who messes with either isn't serious about winning money. Drafting Finley is as much a losing proposition as sending WCOFF a check.

I have two words I want you to remember. Robert Housler. Thank you. That is all for now.

Unless you have a working crystal ball, Axle Foley, I don't understand the Jared Cook hate. Has he done much in his career? No. Does that automatically make him a dud? No. So what about the St. Louis scenario is problematic? Everything I've seen makes Cook look like a featured part of the offense. How is it terrible to pick him in the 9th knowing all of this?

The St. Louis TE hasn't been fantasy relevant in this century. Even when they were "the greatest show on turf" the TE wasn't worth rostering. Kendricks was supposed to be a phenom, too, but he's been chugging along around the #20 TE. Cook won't do much better.

Who needs a crystal ball when you have Baby Jane?

Unless you have a working crystal ball, Axle Foley, I don't understand the Jared Cook hate. Has he done much in his career? No. Does that automatically make him a dud? No. So what about the St. Louis scenario is problematic? Everything I've seen makes Cook look like a featured part of the offense. How is it terrible to pick him in the 9th knowing all of this?

Unless the Rams start all of the sudden using their TE i would be scared of any Ram TE. but Cook is the best recieving one they have had so maybe they will change things up.

That being said in the 9th it was not like you were gonna get to many other options and the upside is there.

This place has turned into pure comedy gold.

Actually, this place has turned into a shell of its former glory days when people with knowledge and experience posted relevant posts based on the topic. It's Baby Jane's house now... sad that this A hat isn't banned.

• Like 1

I've always liked Gronk. I've always looked at him as the best TE in football. But I don't see it for him this year. Finley is always a disappointment on your roster. Rodgers doesn't look in his direction enough. Now that their line just became a bigger hole to run through, I think that Finley will be either kept at the line more often or they won't have the time to see all of the progressions downfield.

There should be a few new tight ends that become established fantasy options this year. It's more likely that you could plug in a waiver wire TE to start a week or two over trying to do the same at the running back position.

If there is a good RB sitting on the waiver wire, good luck at being the lucky one to get him. A TE is different because most people already have two. If you add another you would probably drop one to get him.

Unless the Rams start all of the sudden using their TE i would be scared of any Ram TE. but Cook is the best recieving one they have had so maybe they will change things up.

It's short sighted to look at the Rams and Cook and say "they don't use their TE much" and conclude that Cook won't do much better than 20th overall. They paid him over $35M over 5 years to be more than a blocker. It appears that Cook is a much better fit in the Amendola possession role than any of their current WR crop, and the Rams appear to be ready to use him that way. Bradford is better than Locker/Hasselbeck and if the Rams' offensive line can stay relatively healthy, should've improved. The big thing is all the speedy young WRs and spread offense mean that Cook has a chance to clean up underneath on mismatches (and appears to be a favorite of Bradford's already). It's anybody's guess how things will actually play out, but Cook is one of my favorite TE2 picks with legit TE1 upside.