[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Will the NFL be around in 5 or 10 years?

Montana is da Man

But then the talent level likely drops. I guess we will see. All I know is that if ex NFL players are saying it might disappear, then I think there is a chance that it might, or it might just be a far inferior product in 25 years.

Ex NFL players say crazy stuff all the time due to having so many concussions.

• Like 1

hard hitting in general is getting flagged and that is a major problem because it interferes with the competition.

Don't confuse bad officiating with bad rules. The NFL has a huge job ahead of itself to train the officials properly. For all the technological advances the league is using, they completely missed the bus regarding the scrutiny it was all going to bring to the officiating. We're seeing a ton of calls, both bad and overly cautious, that it's clear within 2 seconds of replay that were wrong. I get the idea of "when in doubt, throw the flag" but they need to do a far, far better job of clearing up that doubt.

• Like 1

Don't confuse bad officiating with bad rules. The NFL has a huge job ahead of itself to train the officials properly. For all the technological advances the league is using, they completely missed the bus regarding the scrutiny it was all going to bring to the officiating. We're seeing a ton of calls, both bad and overly cautious, that it's clear within 2 seconds of replay that were wrong. I get the idea of "when in doubt, throw the flag" but they need to do a far, far better job of clearing up that doubt.

Good point. I think that the way they can fix the bad officiating with better rules is to have a quick booth review of these game changing penalties (personal fouls and PI, specifically). If they were smart about it, they could do this with basically no impact to the pace of the game.

Good point. I think that the way they can fix the bad officiating with better rules is to have a quick booth review of these game changing penalties (personal fouls and PI, specifically). If they were smart about it, they could do this with basically no impact to the pace of the game.

I guess we'd have to see it in practice to decide how it really works. But I have my doubts that a review could be done quick enough to not impact the pace of the game. The review and overrule of the on field officials would need to come before the ref announces the penalty and enforcement starts. Otherwise there will be delays to move the ball back, change down makers, etc.

If they're going to do something they'd have to try it out in pre-season to see how it goes. Still not sure I like the idea of another person(s) basically second guessing the on field officials for various subjective calls.

A better alternative may just be to make more accurate calls, don't err on side of calling the penalty. That is kind of what we have now with automatice review of turnovers and scores, seems that when there is a a close call they call the TD or turnover, and let replay sort it out. If we added automatic review of PI and PF type calls, they could call them even more figuring replay would correct them.

There will always be a human variable when it comes to officials, but remember it has not been that long ago that much more was not reviewable. And they did not check every TD. And they would not reverse that someone was out of bounds or not when they caught it. The NFL has used technology a lot in recent years to make it a better product and not allow refs to decide games erroneously.

• Like 1

It'll be around in ten years, but not 30. With as big and fast as the players are getting, the severity of injuries is just going to keep getting higher and higher, despite the valiant efforts of the league's office.

It'll be around in ten years, but not 30. With as big and fast as the players are getting, the severity of injuries is just going to keep getting higher and higher, despite the valiant efforts of the league's office.

Ok what about boxing then ?

You are clinically insane if you think the NFL will disappear in 30yrs. Not a chance in hell my friend.

Was watching one play today, and I forget which game because we were watching a lot of Redzone, but the running back took a pitch, ran right and then into a wall where his progress was stopped and he was pushed back without being tackled and the refs blew the play dead. No one, not anyone on defense nor an offensive lineman hit the ground. I remarked to my father-in-law that this was what the NFL was going to look like in 5 years.