[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ellington injury?

Flip_Side

Just got this news from one my leagues.

"09.04.14

Andre Ellington was limited in Thursday's practice due to a foot injury, Darren Urban of the Cardinals' official site reports.

Impact

Ellington is the clearcut, No. 1 back in Arizona, but any injury is cause for concern regarding the Clemson product, whose draft stock took a plunge due to his checkered medical history in college. Because the severity of his current malady is unclear, his status should be monitored closely as the week draws to an end."

Has anyone heard about this? Should this be a concern?

According to a report from Mike Jurecki of FOX Sports 910, Cardinals running back Andre Ellington is expected to miss an "extended period of time" because of a foot injury.

Ellington had been dealing with some discomfort in his left foot the past week, and aggravated the injury during Thursday's practice. He was sent for an MRI after practice and the team is still awaiting the results of the exam. If he's unable to play Week 1 against San Diego, the team will likely turn to Jonathan Dwyer and Stepfan Taylor to shoulder the load.

According to a report from Mike Jurecki of FOX Sports 910, Cardinals running back Andre Ellington is expected to miss an "extended period of time" because of a foot injury.

Ellington had been dealing with some discomfort in his left foot the past week, and aggravated the injury during Thursday's practice. He was sent for an MRI after practice and the team is still awaiting the results of the exam. If he's unable to play Week 1 against San Diego, the team will likely turn to Jonathan Dwyer and Stepfan Taylor to shoulder the load.

Well, that sucks.

UPDATE 12:45 p.m. ET: According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Media, Ellington’s condition needs “rest” but the tailback is “hopeful” he’ll be ready for the regular season opener vs. San Diego on Monday night.

UPDATE 12:48 p.m. ET: Fox’s Jay Glazer reports Ellington has a “muscle” injury in the foot and that the MRI results are not in yet.

(12 mins ago) Although the MRI results have yet to come in, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport suggests that Cardinals running back Andre Ellington's first prescription is rest. The initial prognosis is that Ellington is dealing with a muscular issue in his foot, per Jay Glazer of FOX Sports. He will not need surgery and remains hopeful of playing Monday night against the Chargers if the injury heals in time.

Ellington was plagued by the issue for weeks now, according to the report. He's also had foot issues in the past, especially at Clemson.

The Cardinals are expected to update his status after Friday's practice.

I only drafted him in 1 league but wish I would have saw this blurb in rotoworld's article in 40 to shy away from:

11. Andre Ellington

Whereas Giovani Bernard was not efficient as a rookie ball carrier, Ellington was, leading the NFL in yards per carry (5.53) among players with at least 100 attempts. He also has a much clearer path to carries than Gio, with plodder Stepfan Taylor and ex-Steeler Jonathan Dwyer next on Arizona's depth chart. I think fantasy owners currently targeting Bernard in the second round would be smarter to wait for Ellington in the third. Of course, I personally wouldn't draft either at their current ADPs.

Ellington's has surged into the early-third round, where he's going just behind Zac Stacy, and ahead of Reggie Bush, Toby Gerhart, Ryan Mathews, and Frank Gore. It's still an open question as to whether Ellington's 5-foot-9, 199-pound frame can handle the heavylifting he's apparently ticketed for. He did add 10 pounds before camp, although the history of offseason running back weight gains isn't pretty. Most notably, Steve Slaton, Felix Jones, Ray Rice, Bernard Pierce, and Trent Richardson all fell off the map after putting on offseason weight. Adrian Peterson and Ryan Mathews later regretted it. Jamaal Charles is built somewhat similarly to Ellington, but Charles is a genuinely rare talent, and could be considered an outlier. Are you willing to bet Ellington is an outlier?

Ellington never reached 225 carries in a college season, but was frequently injured at Clemson. A severe toe injury cost him nearly half of his sophomore year, and he underwent post-season surgery to repair a ligament tear and fractured sesamoid bone. He played through an ankle injury as a junior and had surgery after the year. Ellington battled a bad hamstring as a senior, followed by setbacks during the 2013 pre-draft process. He suffered a concussion in 2013 training camp. He missed a game with a sprained MCL. He missed practice time with knee and thigh injuries. Sports Injury Predictor's algorithm has identified Ellington as one of the four likeliest running backs to suffer a 2014 injury. You can read more about that here.

The Cardinals' offensive line remains a concern, especially with LG Jonathan Cooper struggling mightily in camp and preseason games. Cooper has already been benched for Bucs castoff Ted Larsen. Right guard and right tackle still seem undecided. Preseason usage suggests Ellington will be replaced at the goal line by Taylor or Dwyer. I'm also skeptical Bruce Arians will truly be willing to slam Ellington into the line over 200 times. He appeared to be at peak effectiveness on 118 carries last year. In the fantasy community, I think Ellington has gone from severely underrated to pretty severely overrated in a one-year span.

My advice? Avoid Ellington in re-draft leagues this year. Shop him in Dynasty with his perceived value at its peak. If you're going to use early-round picks on running backs, draft high-volume workhorses. They'll be much more consistent and score more touchdowns.

Latest from Roto...possibly out 4 to 6 weeks. Ouch!

Early season ambulance chasing: Picked up Dwyer and immediately offered him to the Ellington owner for Ray Rice. His other RBs on the the bench are Blount and DWill.

Yes, I feel a bit slimy.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/293895/andre-ellington-may-have-4-6-week-foot-injury

• Like 2

Ellington owner in our league backed up with Dwyer, I was looking at Stepfan Taylor in the draft but didn't grab him. Wonder if he's worth adding at this point, my RB are pretty weak and any boost I get could be helpful (CJ?K, Gerhart, JStew, Dunbar, CJ Anderson, Devonta Freeman, Christine Michael)

(RotoWire) Following an MRI on his foot, NFL.com indicates that Ellington will not require surgery. Analysis: The report adds that Ellington is hopeful with regard to his chances of suiting up Monday against the Chargers, but suggests that the running back's status for the contest may not be clarified until game-time. It's a difficult scenario for fantasy owners, given Monday's late kickoff, with Jonathan Dwyer and Stepfan Taylor candidates to see an expanded role out of the team's backfield, should Ellington miss time.

(RotoWire) Following an MRI on his foot, NFL.com indicates that Ellington will not require surgery. Analysis: The report adds that Ellington is hopeful with regard to his chances of suiting up Monday against the Chargers, but suggests that the running back's status for the contest may not be clarified until game-time. It's a difficult scenario for fantasy owners, given Monday's late kickoff, with Jonathan Dwyer and Stepfan Taylor candidates to see an expanded role out of the team's backfield, should Ellington miss time.

Great news. One game, I can swallow.

What is accurate? 1 game....4-6 weeks....or does anyone really know yet? Damn, this is gonna give me ulcers stressing over the unknown of my shiny, flashy keepers status!

Fantasy at its best!

Oh my god the drama! Now they say he could play..wtf. part of me says it's only a ploy to confuse the chargers game plan and hes been good to go the whole time.

I never understand or put much credence behind trying to confuse the opposition when game planning. They're pros, prepare for anything.

Edited by irish
  • Like 2

Ellington's injury not considered to be one where he'd miss significant time.

http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/arians-not-concerned-with-ellington-missing-significant-time-090614

https://mobile.twitter.com/Cardschatter/status/508337690425556992

He could play this week and that's great news for future weeks, however, if you have better options with solid matchups, go with them. If you have dwyer, maybe start him for now and switch to Ellington if he's active.