[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Commissioner question

heather787

I am the commissioner of our 8 team league. Our league is run through myfantasyleague.com. I have a team owner who is asking me start a player (Ingram) on Thursday night because he didn't get his lineup changed in time. I received an email @ 8.27 asking me to change it because this player was locked out at this point on our league site. What caused this is he turned in a dummy line up sometime on Wednesday or Thursday with a lot of players on a bye week because he was goofing around with the guy he was playing(who had did the same thing to him earlier in the week) and he fell asleep and got back to the computer to change it right at kickoff. I told him I would not change it because if the website wouldn't let him then it was too late.

Now he is sending out emails to the whole league pleading his case and saying things like: Isn't this supposed to be a friendly league, It was only a matter of seconds and as commissioner I can make a judgement call. So far only 2 league owners have replied. One is from the guy he is playing and another from his brother. One reason I like the online league manager is I don't have to make these judgement calls, the computer does that for me by locking the players when they are supposed to be. I feel that if I bend the rules this time then people might expect me to bend them again. We have all been in this league for 10-15 years and honestly I am surprised this guy is acting this way about it. I would just like some feedback from other league owners and or commissioners. He still has time to turn in a full lineup just not with Ingram.

I received an email @ 8.27 asking me to change it because this player was locked out at this point on our league site.

In my homer league, I would put him in without hesitation. That's a very established league of long-time college buddies though, and we're all about "no harm no foul" type situations. Unless Ingram had scored in the first minutes of the game the owner gets the benefit of the doubt. That was talked about and agreed when we established the league 17 years ago though.

In all my other leagues, I wouldn't get it, I wouldn't expect to, and I wouldn't ask. The nature of those leagues are a bit more about a business/competitive league.

He's probably SOL, but you as commissioner need to make this call. You said it's a friends league - have a conversation amongst friends. Let your league mates know "this sets a precedent for how we run this league from here on out. If you're at church and the sermon runs over and traffic is bad getting home, and you call me at 1:02 before Andrew Luck has taken the field, I am going to rule that the same way I ruled this one. How are you going to want me to rule that?"

I would ask the other 6 owners how they feel about it since it is a local friend league. However, ultimately, if there are no rules for this situation in your league, then the player locking is the rule.

I believe the phrase "you snooze, you lose" applies here

+1

I would ask the other 6 owners how they feel about it since it is a local friend league. However, ultimately, if there are no rules for this situation in your league, then the player locking is the rule.

And this.

Edited by Wolverines Fan

Not a lot of sympathy from me. It is the responsibility of each owner to submit their own lineups. This owner was playing games with his lineup and should have been more attentive as a result. I actually would have been more sympathatic had he forgot to set his lineup originally, than in this case where he was jacking around with his lineup for fun.

The problem with allowing the line up move is the prescedent it establishes and the fact that it positions the league at the top of what could become a very slippery slope. How can you deny the next line up change from somebody who is just a little bit late if you allow this line up change? Where do you draw the cutoff if it isn't the start of a player's game? Cutoff 5 minutes after the game starts? Then the guy who misses it by 6 minutes bitches up a storm.

Edited by Grits and Shins
  • Like 1

he was playing(who had did the same thing to him earlier in the week) and he fell asleep and got back to the computer to change it right at kickoff.

who messes around with their lineup like this?? I don't get it.. what's the point? Looks like the other guy won that mind game lol

Edited by KipperSD

I'm commish in my league, only way I'd do it is if the request was sent before the line-up deadline. We've done this before when owners had internet connection problems or similar issues nit being able to set your lineup.

Screwing with his lineup backfired on him.