[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Superbowl QB = Great

Bamer27

Is anyone else sick of the Qb of the winning superbowl team looked upon as a great Qb? I agree Brady is one of the best ever, but despite his stats i dont think he played that great. His throws were all either lob balls or short 5 yard passes. I dont want this to become some deflate gate convo and I know the short passes with Edelman and Amendola are the smart thing to do against a SEA defense. But does anyone really think that Elway wasn't a great QB until he won the SB or that Trent Dilfer is better than Marino or Kelly?

This is not supposed to be a thread to bash Brady because hes clearly has proven himself, but what do you think about QBs who win the big game who don't deserve to get the recognition for winning the game?

Superbowl wins don't make a qb great. Defenses sometimes carry an offense (see Dilfer & Brad Johnson). I don't like the guy all that much but dude threw 4 TDs against the leagues best secondary on the biggest stage. Hard enough to win one, he' got 4. Love him or hate him, dudes gonna go down as the best qb to play the game. Id say he's great.

It is one piece of the puzzle. Maybe too much weight is put on winning a Championship, but winning that game is a pretty big deal. Think about some of the QB's who have lost the Super Bowl, and how much of it was because of the way that they played. Probably means a lot more to discuss the way that a QB wins the Super Bowl. Brady didn't have a perfect game by any means, but he showed enough poise to lead his team back from 10 points down. Some players just don't have the maturity or mental toughness to do that.

• Like 1

The winning QB gets the Super Bowl MVP by default unless some other player really distinguishes himself. You can pretty much bank on the QB getting it if no player really jumps out as the biggest difference maker.

Winning QB's have won 7 of the last 9 SB MVP.

The winning QB gets the Super Bowl MVP by default unless some other player really distinguishes himself. You can pretty much bank on the QB getting it if no player really jumps out as the biggest difference maker.

Winning QB's have won 7 of the last 9 SB MVP.

Not trying to hijack this post, but I honestly think Julian Edelman should have won MVP. He won his matchup nearly every play. He missed his 2nd TD, but not cause he didn't win his matchup, Brady just threw a laser when he should have tossed it.
  • Like 3

It wasn't the SB, but I could have puked with all of the Russell Wilson love after his overtime game winning drive against the Packers to get to the SB. Wilson put up a steaming pile of gorilla sh!t the whole game pretty much, yet you kept seeing all of the "Wilson is 10-0 vs. SB winning quarterbacks" stat. Well, 10-1 now I guess.

Interestingly enough, I think he (and the Seahawks) will be haunted more by this loss than GB will be for theirs.

i agree with Savage that it is a piece of the puzzle ..ultimately when it is all said and done you look at QB stats and he should get extra for super bowls won ...it does not mean that Dilfer is better than Marino , it just means Dilfer's overall stats get a bump because he did win a SB

If you don't think Brady played great against the best pass defense in the league, then nothing I can say will chance your mind,.

Edited by Papajohn
  • Like 1

If SEA would of punched it in and gotten the win ,,, then who would of been the MVP ?

None of Brady's stats would of changed , so would of he still gotten it , why not ?

It is not for the MVP of winning team it is MVP of the Superbowl

Okay we know the answer ,,, it would of went to Wilson & they would be calling him the best in the game today using the argument two in a row & all the other crap , just amazing how ONE PLAY can change everyone's perception :usa:

Yesterday on another board somebody asked "So does Brady winning his 4th SB end all the debate about Brady vs. Peyton?" Somebody else then brought up Brady never really having top caliber WR, while Peyton had better ones (Harrison, Wayne).

I provided a very lengthy response that can be shortened to "No, Brady had a better defense, much better coach and generally a more balanced team around him, making winning in the playoffs and ultimately the SB easier."

I'm not trying to turn this into a Brady vs. Peyton debate, the simple fact is football is the most team oriented sport I know of. Without a good complete team (that includes coaches) it is harder for a player to win it all. Switch those 2 QBs and I doubt the results are that much different.

Is Brady one of the best ever, yes I'd have to say that. Certainly top 3 in his era. (Don't think he's close to the greatest ever.) But without BB and his great coachin, planning/scheming the 36 hour days preparing I don't think he wins a single SB. He doesn't carry the Pats like a QB like Peyton, Elway, Marino carried their teams.