[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Roughing the passer

HowboutthemCowboys

You're right they are just ideas, ones that are not likely to happen, and that really are not well thought out. I'm not going to try and come up with a solution, because it is fruitless for me to do so. I may as well just piss into the wind.

I hate bad calls like others, the difference is I don't think its my job to fix the problem, to judge them, or that I need to know everything about them that their bosses do.

That's your prerogative, of course, but not all of us accept that things can't be fixed so why bother trying. I don't know why that's so threatening to people like you who have chosen to accept things the way they are even if they don't like it. Does it remind you that there are people out there who aren't beat down to the point of surrender? An idea that sounds crazy is better than no idea at all. It's pretty easy to say everyone else's ideas are ridiculous, while refusing to have any of your own.

You and I have a different definition of transparency. Transparency would be clear to all. Clear to a chosen few isn't transparency. You obviously think that the negative will be the focus of report cards being made public, and I can't argue with that, as our society is obsessed with bashing each other over the head with the negative and positive reinforcement is the exception, but I know that I personally would use it as a learning experience in regards to the responsibilities of the individual officials that I wasn't previously aware of, which would inevitably force me to appreciate them more, and be better informed when it does come to the complaints that I would make. I don't understand your thought process that because our society has issues, we shouldn't be allowed to have something to say about bad officiating...seems overly dramatic to me.

Sorry, I sometimes start typing without explaining all the thoughts going through my head. I had something better typed out but my wife needed something and it led to my typing being deleted naturally, but essentially what I was trying to say is the refs are not beholden to the fans. They are accountable to their bosses in the refs union who are then accountable to the NFL and the CBA negotiated. Essentially their grade reports in the hands of the public would only bring additional criticism from those that are unknowledgeable to the referee's duties while serving no real purpose. Basically it would be like fans of Bethesda asking to see the performance reviews of their security department. It just seems kind of silly.

If you want to become more knowledgeable about the standards referees are graded on, well I'm pretty sure that is already out there for you. However, as a fan if you are seeking a change then your only real option is to make your dissatisfaction known to those who are accountable to you (the NFL) by whichever means you feel best suite that purpose, but usually not spending on the product works best.

Sorry, I sometimes start typing without explaining all the thoughts going through my head. I had something better typed out but my wife needed something and it led to my typing being deleted naturally, but essentially what I was trying to say is the refs are not beholden to the fans. They are accountable to their bosses in the refs union who are then accountable to the NFL and the CBA negotiated. Essentially their grade reports in the hands of the public would only bring additional criticism from those that are unknowledgeable to the referee's duties while serving no real purpose. Basically it would be like fans of Bethesda asking to see the performance reviews of their security department. It just seems kind of silly.

If you want to become more knowledgeable about the standards referees are graded on, well I'm pretty sure that is already out there for you. However, as a fan if you are seeking a change then your only real option is to make your dissatisfaction known to those who are accountable to you (the NFL) by whichever means you feel best suite that purpose, but usually not spending on the product works best.

Yeah, you may be right. Maybe I don't have the right to know how they are being graded. It sure feels like it would go a long way towards improving the credibility of an organization who is severely lacking in the credibility department, and who I feel is contributing greatly to the decline of the product on the field. I know that everyone thinks that there would be unnecessary chaos if the report cards were posted, but isn't that an indicator that there is a bigger problem?

Yeah, you may be right. Maybe I don't have the right to know how they are being graded. It sure feels like it would go a long way towards improving the credibility of an organization who is severely lacking in the credibility department, and who I feel is contributing greatly to the decline of the product on the field. I know that everyone thinks that there would be unnecessary chaos if the report cards were posted, but isn't that an indicator that there is a bigger problem?

Again, I'm pretty sure you can find information on the standards they are being graded on. If you want a general report saying this was the median grade and blah blah fine, go for it. But if I was a ref, I would feel any public report specifically about my individual performance would be a violation of my privacy and quite frankly really unprofessional.

Oh and none of that would help the NFL's credibility. Things that would help their credibility would be handling deflategate properly (and not spending millions on opinion pieces), punishing Rice correctly and then treating him fairly after a tape that you somehow could not get a hold of turns up, not letting convicted violent felons back in to begin with (ya I'm looking at you Vick), bountygate, etc... There's been a tacoload of indicators out there of bigger problems for a while now.

Edited by Def.
  • Like 1

Again, I'm pretty sure you can find information on the standards they are being graded on. If you want a general report saying this was the median grade and blah blah fine, go for it. But if I was a ref, I would feel any public report specifically about my individual performance would be a violation of my privacy and quite frankly really unprofessional.

Oh and none of that would help the NFL's credibility. Things that would help their credibility would be handling deflategate properly (and not spending millions on opinion pieces), punishing Rice correctly and then treating him fairly after a tape that you somehow could not get a hold of turns up, not letting convicted violent felons back in to begin with (ya I'm looking at you Vick), bountygate, etc... There's been a tacoload of indicators out there of bigger problems for a while now.

I was talking about the official's credibility specifically, but I also agree with all you said regarding the NFL's credilibility as a whole. Roger Goodell still having a job is the biggest example of corruption and cronyism and conflict of interest outside of Capitol Hill.

That's your prerogative, of course, but not all of us accept that things can't be fixed so why bother trying. I don't know why that's so threatening to people like you who have chosen to accept things the way they are even if they don't like it. Does it remind you that there are people out there who aren't beat down to the point of surrender? An idea that sounds crazy is better than no idea at all. It's pretty easy to say everyone else's ideas are ridiculous, while refusing to have any of your own.

My point is simply your ideas are wild and nobody is going to be listening anyway. I'm willing to accept it because I cannot change it.

Just because I have no ideas doesn't mean yours are good, or that they cannot be criticizes. Again, public forum, you express yourself and are then open to commentary.

And some of your ideas and comments just sound foolish like the bit about Goodell sitting on the couch watching the games and making rulings. If you are going to make suggestions and talk seriously, that nonsense kills it.

Sounds like you just want to make your rant, wild suggestions and then have everybody agree or at least not criticize it.

Goodell has a job because the owners gave him one, he isn't there to make you happy. Sometimes you sound pretty smart, other times like a petulant child throwing a tantrum.

I was talking about the official's credibility specifically, but I also agree with all you said regarding the NFL's credilibility as a whole. Roger Goodell still having a job is the biggest example of corruption and cronyism and conflict of interest outside of Capitol Hill.

Wow seriously, care to explain the corruption and conflict of interest? Goodell has a job because the owners gave him one (I suppose that could be cronyism), but what corruption is there, or conflict of interest. Do you think the fans should elect the commissioner or something?

Listen I get it people are pissed about blown calls, they're pissed at Goodell for how he's handled many things. But try to remain rational otherwise it sounds like some guy on the street corner rambling on.

D3...I have never seen 2 people who love to say the same things over and over again since....well.....never.

Over analyze but need to get in the last word. :rofl:

Aw, that hurts. Here I was all proud of waving the surrender flag and letting him have the last word. Thought I had turned a corner, and was exhibiting real personal growth. :crybaby:

Just kidding, If someone needs to have me explain Goodell's corruption and conflict of interest to them, the river is just to too wide to swim.

Edited by Boy Named Suh

If it is too hard to swim get in a (the really bad word)ing boat.

You are the first person I've heard say that Goodell has a conflict of interest, and I don't have a clue what you're referring to. Is he making decisions where he can benefit from the outcome?

And what is the corruption, is he taking bribes to influence his decisions.

But keep believing I'm dense simply because I don't agree with your views.

According to Blandino, officiating crews are averaging 4.3 mistakes in roughly 160 total plays per game this season, based on the league's confidential grading method.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14292215/dean-blandino-nfl-vice-president-officiating-defends-quality-calls-season

That's pretty damn good in my opinion. You can fix most mistakes with instant replay. Officiating by humans is subjective. There will always be mistakes.

• Like 1

According to Blandino, officiating crews are averaging 4.3 mistakes in roughly 160 total plays per game this season, based on the league's confidential grading method.[/size]

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14292215/dean-blandino-nfl-vice-president-officiating-defends-quality-calls-season[/size]

That's pretty damn good in my opinion. You can fix most mistakes with instant replay. Officiating by humans is subjective. There will always be mistakes.

Two issues with that quote...

1. According to Blandino...what is he going to say? His job is defending the officiating. That would be like telling a chef that people are complaining about his food and expecting him to say, Yeah, they're right, it sucks.

2. Confidential grading method...why would you not question this? I have already made my case for transparency. Why are you ok with secrecy when it comes to grading methods?