[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Roughing the passer

HowboutthemCowboys

You guys expect these refs to be perfect. Come coach youth football or basketball, with no instant replay. You would lose your minds.

unless I'm wrong the referee has 1 job to do on a passing play..watch the qb. The guy was tackled text book the way they're taught. Not high, not low..head up. To be a referee in the NFL and make that call from < 10 yds away is not expecting them to be perfect imo

You guys expect these refs to be perfect. Come coach youth football or basketball, with no instant replay. You would lose your minds. And have a lot more respect for good officials.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this isn't youth league, and these guys get paid to get calls right. There are no consequences for these guys. If you did your job that badly, would you not expect to be replaced by someone who can do the job better?

The replay that just happened in the Steelers @ Seahawks game. Full speed, clearly looks like a catch. Only on replay do you see the slightest double clutch after the first foot is down.

There aren't guys that can do it better. These are top athletes moving at top speed. I'd like to see you guys get every call right in a game. Can't be done.

The replay that just happened in the Steelers @ Seahawks game. Full speed, clearly looks like a catch. Only on replay do you see the slightest double clutch after the first foot is down.

There aren't guys that can do it better. These are top athletes moving at top speed. I'd like to see you guys get every call right in a game. Can't be done.

noone made a thread about that play :lol:

unless I'm wrong the referee has 1 job to do on a passing play..watch the qb. The guy was tackled text book the way they're taught. Not high, not low..head up. To be a referee in the NFL and make that call from < 10 yds away is not expecting them to be perfect imo

His helmet hit the facemask. It doesn't matter if the rest of the play was picture perfect, when the QB's head is hit, the flag comes out. If the tackler's head is to the side that doesn't happen. He chose to lead with his face and that's the risk you take if you keep your head up.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this isn't youth league, and these guys get paid to get calls right. There are no consequences for these guys. If you did your job that badly, would you not expect to be replaced by someone who can do the job better?

And who exactly will do the job better, with certainty? Some young college ref?

I read an article today that went over some stats on the NFL refs, about 20% have something like 5-7 years experience, and that turnover is sited as part of the reason for more mistakes.

Mistakes happen, even blatant ones. These guys are now under a microscope, social media and the 24/7 news cycle over analyze every call and dissect the minutia.

Sure in this case, obvious blatant bad call, it happens they are human. I write software for a living, sometimes I don't get things right and there's a bug. I don't get fired, and if I'm lucky few people notice it or are affected by it.

The catch that was overruled which Captain Hook mentions in PIT-SEA game, when I first saw that I thought it was close enough it would be reviewed and could be overturned. Once I saw the tape it was clear he did not have control before that first foot came off the ground.

And who exactly will do the job better, with certainty? Some young college ref?

I read an article today that went over some stats on the NFL refs, about 20% have something like 5-7 years experience, and that turnover is sited as part of the reason for more mistakes.

Mistakes happen, even blatant ones. These guys are now under a microscope, social media and the 24/7 news cycle over analyze every call and dissect the minutia.

Sure in this case, obvious blatant bad call, it happens they are human. I write software for a living, sometimes I don't get things right and there's a bug. I don't get fired, and if I'm lucky few people notice it or are affected by it.

The catch that was overruled which Captain Hook mentions in PIT-SEA game, when I first saw that I thought it was close enough it would be reviewed and could be overturned. Once I saw the tape it was clear he did not have control before that first foot came off the ground.

Ok, so say you write some bad code, and it really causes a problem for a client...I'm talking they lose money because of it. They possibly lose out on a job they were trying to bid on..maybe they lose a client because of your bad code...your bosses come out and say, yup, it was him...he screwed that code up. But then you are back working on the clients next job, how would you expect them to feel knowing that you weren't punished, and have the same opportunity to screw up their business again?

The officiating crew of that game was to be assigned to week 13 SNF, but were just "demoted" to a regional Sunday game instead as a result of actions made during this game.

Edited by Big John

I agree....sometimes im actually amazed at how accurate they can be

Ok, so say you write some bad code, and it really causes a problem for a client...I'm talking they lose money because of it. They possibly lose out on a job they were trying to bid on..maybe they lose a client because of your bad code...your bosses come out and say, yup, it was him...he screwed that code up. But then you are back working on the clients next job, how would you expect them to feel knowing that you weren't punished, and have the same opportunity to screw up their business again?

What does punishing me do? And what kind of punishment would you expect, pay cut, time off without pay, termination?

Trust me the fear and concern over causing a serious problem for a customer is enough to keep me on my toes. Besides which a mistake and bug in the code is a simple thing, maybe a typo or something like that. It is rarely something really stupid and just from being lazy or something. Our system is very complex, sometimes you change something and there are unintended consequences.

As for the customers trusting me, well they don't have much choice. This isn't some off the box software, they can deal with us (1 of 2 programmers) or start looking for new software.

ETA: I work in a small company, not some huge one with hundreds of developers. I'm not sure I've ever heard of punishing developers for bugs in the code. For anybody that has ever developed software bugs are just a part of life. Many can exist for decades and go uncovered, but they're there. Sure you might have some negative marks if you make a lot of mistakes, and that could be part of your peformance review (not done regularly where I work).

Edited by stevegrab