[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think Coughlin has gone senile

Cowboyz1

I can't say that I am saddened or anything by it. But this guy has just lost it. How the hell do you go for it on 4th down up 10 mind you, in a must win game with a Redzone Pick prone QB in Eli. I just don't get it. I could not believe they went for it. Seriously, Coughlin use to be a solid field general who would conservatively go for points in that situation 100% of the time.

I gotta tell you though, when Eli threw that pick I laughed out loud and was sure the Jets would come back and win. Eli is a true pick machine.

Coughlin has made blunder after blunder this year with clock management and play calling late in game that have gotten them beat in at least 4 games now. I use to think his red face was just a result of anger but now I think he's blown a gasket up there.

Edited by Cowboyz1
  • Like 1

As a Giants fan, this game is just the icing on the crap cake that is this season.

Loss late to the Cowboys with poor clock management

Lost late to the Falcons with poor clock management

Lost late to the Saints when the defense decided to stay in New Jersey and not make the trip

Lost late to the Patriots with poor clock management

Lost to the Redskins in a game they could have sealed the division with

Lost late to the Jets with poor clock management

6 games they SHOULD have won. If they win 4 of them, we move from 5-8 to 9-4.

Coughlin HAS to go. He has to. The Giants need a new coach ASAP. I don't know who, but they need new blood.

As for the division, I hope the Cowboys come back behind Cassel and win it. Why not? Who cares anyway?

Ugh. I can handle losses. I have no problem losing when we are overmatched. But giving away so many games is nauseating.

And to boot, I started Eli figuring with no Revis he would have a huge day. He locks in on Beckham so much that I would triple team him on defense every time. The Giants miss Cruz badly this year. I hope he comes back healthy next season/

viable replacements have never stopped NFL teams from firing coaches before :shrug:

The Giants are kind of a strange team/organization. The two super bowls they won were kinda.... I mean they won one after going 9-7. And the other was 10-6 iirc. They were never a dominant team. They can turn it on when it really counts, but it's almost like they just don't care until they're on the brink of elimination.

I don't like the whole "Jerry Reese draft genius" thing either. Screw best player available. They really need to just draft the best running back available in the first round next year. And they've needed to draft a best lineback available for years.

The Giants are kind of a strange team/organization. The two super bowls they won were kinda.... I mean they won one after going 9-7. And the other was 10-6 iirc. They were never a dominant team. They can turn it on when it really counts, but it's almost like they just don't care until they're on the brink of elimination.

Great points. I also think they give Coughlin the retirement option, rather than straight up firing him.

+3.

Terrible coaching decisions, seems like every week. That call up by 10 was the icing on the cake. I'd have to assume they will fire him but at least let him finish the year first

He will not be fired, he will be allowed to retire gracefully. I know many think he is horrible, but he did help them win 2 Super Bowls.

PS Loved the comment about viable candidates, does anybody have a list of those because I'm pretty sure my Browns will need it and probably still end up hiring somebody that was never a viable head coach candidate until the Browns interviewed him.

Edited by stevegrab

I don't think it's just a matter of clock management, I think the problems with the Giants are largely mental/confidence related (which do overlap with clock management obviously). They just get it in their head that they're not going to win or that they're going to blow the game and they end up blowing it no matter how bad the other team is. They play down to bad teams and up to good teams. The defense shows up when it needs to against New England but Washington and New Orleans should be a brees (lol) so they don't think they need to try.

I've also noticed that certain teams "have the Giants' number" and the Giants have certain teams' number too, which is a completely mental matter. In recent years, the Cowboys and the Eagles almost always beat the Giants no matter how bad those teams are. It's all in their head imo. And the Giants have the Patriots' and the redskins' number (sans last week).

They are a strange organization. Something is very off imo, but they sure can be an exciting team at times (esp when playing the patriots).

Edited by pun
  • Like 1