[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Do commissioners ever get any love/respect from the rest of their league?

mmevans217

Mehhh, sounds whiny.

I'll congratulate the champ. Thanks for being the commish? Dunno, never really felt the need to thank them and have never been thanked. Definitely have never been offered a tip for being the commish.

• Like 1

Mehhh, sounds whiny.

I'll congratulate the champ. Thanks for being the commish? Dunno, never really felt the need to thank them and have never been thanked. Definitely have never been offered a tip for being the commish.

I received a tip once and it was from a huddler, TimC

Mehhh, sounds whiny.

To be honest, if nobody complains about me over the course of a season I'll take that as a job well done.

• Like 5

I have been commish of my main local for about 15 years now. These are guys I have known since I was a teenager. I love them all but they drive me insane as commish. I am always mopping up a mess but I rule with an iron hand and I have an iron clad constitution posted on our league site that usually ends all squabbles. I took over the league when our last commish gambled away our league money and didnt pay me for my super bowl win for 3 months. I did him a kindness and didnt rat him out to the rest of the league. I just made sure to take over from there on out. I got burnt out after about 10 years and stepped down. My buddy took it over and it was an all out disaster. I tried to help him but he made many mistakes and it was a dreadful year. I took the job over again the next year and have held it again ever since . At the end of the year I usually get a good job post here and there when people congratulate the SB winner . You have to go in to being a commish knowing its a pretty thankless job full of headaches no matter how clear cut you make things.

• Like 1

A few people in the league always make a comment if the league has run smoothly or if they thought I handled a dicey situation well. Same 1/2 who bitch and whine all year about something who like to blame somebody else for their teams downfall and the commish is usually an easy target.

This basically, a couple might give some thanks, another couple complain a lot.

It is basically a thankless job. And in some leagues they think if the commish is winning they must be cheating somehow. Luckily our league is run pretty smoothly with the majority of work done by the website and not things we need to handle directly.

We pay out all money collected except a portion of the entry fee and some money from roster moves used to pay the fee to run the league (CBS). No cut for the commish, and I doubt anybody has ever tipped the commish (if they did I never got my co-commish cut).

I also suspect that being the only woman in the league means they hate it if you win, and don't want to acknolwedge that or that you're doing a good job as commish.

PS Somebody mentioned league trophy was paid for by the commish, our did the same and has paid to have it altered as needed.

Edited by stevegrab

Yeah I never took any money out for being commish, all money went to the winner minus costs (trophy, engraving and draft board).

I think a lot of people don't appreciate the work that goes into being a commish until they do it.

And why I think being commish should be a job every owner takes at one point. I think if you use 2 people for the job one (or have the original/last commish) can easily assist the new person. But once you do it for a few years straight, you'll find many not wanting a change, and less willing to take the position ("But you've always done it.")

• Like 1

And why I think being commish should be a job every owner takes at one point. I think if you use 2 people for the job one (or have the original/last commish) can easily assist the new person. But once you do it for a few years straight, you'll find many not wanting a change, and less willing to take the position ("But you've always done it.")

I agree. I think everyone should have to serve as commissioner at some point; however, not everyone is best suited for that role, but I think it's still a job that should be rotated out so as not to burden the same person every year. I tried to resign but was unsuccessful.

Edited by electricrelish
  • Like 1

The constant bitching drives me insane, and it seems like its always the team winning that just won't shut up.

In our league it was one newer owner always looking to change things, stretch/bend the rules and was beyond annoying in trying to get people to trade with him. Thankfully he left after last year :)

In our league it was one newer owner always looking to change things, stretch/bend the rules and was beyond annoying in trying to get people to trade with him. Thankfully he left after last year :)

Meh...just me venting sorry. I commish a "side league" and use it try things out that might improve the main league. Unfortunately a change made in the waivers/roster setup 2 years ago was recently shown to not work due to the constant barrage of injuries now a days. So naturally the point leader that has been dominating all year went into the playoffs with only 3 RBs and needless to say 2 got hurt. Since there is waiver/trade deadline he couldn't make a move. Instantly its all my fault, like I didn't provide him the rules at the beginning of the year to review and forced him to use all of those other 4 open roster spots on wideouts.

Literally guaranteed point winner for the season, just finished eliminating me in the semis by doubling up my score, and the dude is angry texting me about how he's going to lose in the finals. Best commish move I made all season was turning off my phone and ignoring him the rest of the week. He lost in the finals, but because ODB was out and and Cam/Ant. Brown didn't superman like they had been.

• Like 1

Literally just had a guy in my league thank me for commissioning the league. A lot of people don't respect how much of a headache it is getting the money from everyone, and trying to coordinate a date that works with 90% of the league for a draft day. Plus the splash page of rules, etc etc. It's freaking annoying. I needed that love :celb:

Thank y'all all for your input. I have almost decided that I should not expect people in my league to appreciate anything. They don't know how much stress is involved. There have been many times that I have wanted to throw my hands up and give it to the league. The truth is, I love fantasy football and our league, but I feel like if I don't do it, then no one else will. Last year I had a team drop all their players because of a trade that didn't go through... Me, being nice, locked all add/drops so that he could get his team back and continue on. Ironically, said person ended up winning the championship. Did I get a "thank you"? Hell no! It stuff like that that makes me so upset!

Also trying to get a date for everyone to draft is a pain... Can't please everyone! Props to all you commissioners out there for sure!

Setting the draft is like herding cats. Here is what we do in my leagues with live drafts:

In my local, we use a google spreadsheet and everyone puts in their availability for every day in the three weeks before the season starts. There are typically 3-5 days to chose from that everyone can make. The first year we did this, there were a couple owners who only had a few days indicated as available, but the commish busted their balls a little bit and they fell in line. I have been in this league for 8 years and we have been using the spreadsheet method for the last 4.

In my work league, I am the commish and I just pick a date and tell everyone that if they can't make it, then they need to let me know. I have only had to change the date once in 5 years. It is usually the last Friday or Saturday night before the Thursday night opener.

In my league with my old college buddies, we all travel to the draft and some guys are driving like 4-5 hours. The commish does what I do in the work league - he sets the date and then we all make it work. It is typically on the Saturday of either preseason week 3 or 4, so we all know to keep those dates clear. People are expected to work it out, and there is a lot of peer pressure if someone hems and haws about being able to make it. We have gotten our live draft together every year for the past 8 years.

TimC probably gave you the whole thing but it only felt like a tip...... :unsure:

LMAO!

I've been the commish of my local since it started (15th season) & thankfully it's full of a bunch of drunks that don't take this game overly serious. But being a commish is a thankless job. I do it because if I didn't, no one else would.