[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Seahawks release Doug Baldwin & Kam Chancellor

While it's unfortunate his career is over at 31 years old, he's had a career that was far more productive and rewarding than almost any other undrafted wideout.

12 hours ago, DMD said:

I said almost because I knew there were others but could not think of them.

Baldwin was definitely solid.  Bummer he has to go out like this.  I don't think I ever had him on any of my dynasty teams and honestly can't think of a time I had him on a redraft either.  I always thought he would go higher than I'd want him at... and then he'd produce.

I wonder how much of Baldwin's production was because of him and how much was because of Russell Wilson.  My guess is that Baldwin was a slightly above average receiver who had the good fortune to have several years to develop chemistry with a Hall of Fame quarterback.  I'll be drafting Tyler Lockett this year based on the same reasoning.

46 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

I wonder how much of Baldwin's production was because of him and how much was because of Russell Wilson.  My guess is that Baldwin was a slightly above average receiver who had the good fortune to have several years to develop chemistry with a Hall of Fame quarterback.  I'll be drafting Tyler Lockett this year based on the same reasoning.

Aren't you the big PFF guy?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-from-undrafted-to-uncoverable-seahawks-wr-doug-baldwin-has-been-one-of-the-best

42 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

Aren't you the big PFF guy?

PFF is far from perfect.  I quote them a lot because they try to be an objective grading tool.  But the quarterback-receiver dynamic is complex.  It's difficult to separate their individual contributions to their success.  When a receiver catches a perfectly thrown pass, he'll get a good grade.  And when a receiver runs a perfect route but is thrown a poor pass, it's hard to get a good grade.  You will never see a receiver that puts up good statistics get a bad season grade.  Tyler Lockett had a PFF receiving grade of 84.7 last year which was 13th best in the league.  He isn't the 13th best at receiving in the league.  Not even close.  Russell Wilson throws dimes.  He makes his receivers look good.

I quickly read the article you cited.  It reads like an article written by a 22-year-old on Bleacher Report or SBNation.  Most of the people who grade plays at PFF aren't professionals.  Their job pays virtually nothing and is time consuming, tedious, and thankless.  They are just fans like us who love football.  Occasionally, they get to have an article published.

Edited by michaelredd9

1 hour ago, michaelredd9 said:

I would say that Baldwin's production was all on Baldwin. The guy throwing to him has a career yards passing per game of 

228 yards and a career 64.7 percent completion rate. Looks to me like Baldwin made the best of a poor situation and if he had a QB that threw for 300+ yards a game his stats would be tier one.

Edited by skylive5

On 5/10/2019 at 6:39 PM, skylive5 said:

I would say that Baldwin's production was all on Baldwin. The guy throwing to him has a career yards passing per game of 

228 yards and a career 64.7 percent completion rate. Looks to me like Baldwin made the best of a poor situation and if he had a QB that threw for 300+ yards a game his stats would be tier one.

I'm still trying to figure out when Russell Wilson got into the HOF.  Seems more and more players with less than half a career played are being called HOFer by fans and media. 

5 hours ago, stevegrab said:

I'm still trying to figure out when Russell Wilson got into the HOF.  Seems more and more players with less than half a career played are being called HOFer by fans and media. 

Wilson has the second highest career passer rating in NFL history.  He already has 5 Pro Bowls.  Of any quarterback in their first 7 years, Wilson has the most wins, 2nd most total yards, 3rd most touchdowns, and 5th in adjusted net yards per pass attempt.  He has done this with having a horrible offensive line virtually every year and being surrounded with very average skill position players.  Seattle has consistently put far more resources into their defense.  Wilson could be average for the rest of his career and would still be elected into the Hall of Fame.

18 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

Wilson has the second highest career passer rating in NFL history.  He already has 5 Pro Bowls.  Of any quarterback in their first 7 years, Wilson has the most wins, 2nd most total yards, 3rd most touchdowns, and 5th in adjusted net yards per pass attempt.  He has done this with having a horrible offensive line virtually every year and being surrounded with very average skill position players.  Seattle has consistently put far more resources into their defense.  Wilson could be average for the rest of his career and would still be elected into the Hall of Fame.

Thanks for recapping his career, forgive me if I don't believe that guarantees him a spot in the HOF.

54 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Thanks for recapping his career, forgive me if I don't believe that guarantees him a spot in the HOF.

So you believe he is still below the threshold of the HOF?  Why?  And which quarterback(s) are better than Wilson but didn't make it into the HOF?

Edited by michaelredd9

17 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

So you believe he is still below the threshold of the HOF?  Why?  And which quarterback(s) are better than Wilson but didn't make it into the HOF?

There are an increasing number of good to great QBs in the league, they are not all going to get into the HOF. Of those guys currently playing, Brady, Brees, Rodgers are locks. Ben is pretty likely, and Eli may get in as well despite what some think. 

I am not saying there is no chance that Wilson makes it, but it is still rather early in his career to crown him as a HOF player. Honestly short of guys that are first ballot HOF I'd prefer that people don't label people as HOF players. People were doing that with Browns LT Joe Thomas and it sounded silly considering the complete lack of success the team had during his time. I appreciate what he did, but wasn't sure if it was local media/fan talk or for real. After he retired I heard some talk by others that it was pretty likely, but still waiting to see before I crown him. (Some in the local media have referred to him as "future HOFer Joe Thomas" for several years now.)

Phillip Rivers is a really good QB, posts some incredible stats, but lack of a SB win, or other huge moment on a big stage he is left on the "no way" pile by most. 

On 5/15/2019 at 2:32 PM, stevegrab said:

Honestly short of guys that are first ballot HOF I'd prefer that people don't label people as HOF players. People were doing that with Browns LT Joe Thomas and it sounded silly considering the complete lack of success the team had during his time. I appreciate what he did, but wasn't sure if it was local media/fan talk or for real. After he retired I heard some talk by others that it was pretty likely, but still waiting to see before I crown him. (Some in the local media have referred to him as "future HOFer Joe Thomas" for several years now.)

Joe Thomas is the best offensive lineman of his generation.  He was voted first team All Pro 7 times.  He was voted second team All Pro 2 times.  Few HOFers can claim the same.  He will undoubtedly be voted into the Hall of Fame on the first ballot.  Voters aren't going to blame a team's woes on a left tackle.