[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Nfl to allow players to opt out

millworkguy

It is a fair move.  TE Mark Andrews with BAL is a diabetic. Not sure what other players have medical conditions but it is only right to allow them to sit out the year without penalty if they want.

This year is going to be an epic failure if we even have a year.  I figured opt outs were coming when Basketball and baseball players were doing this I just was hoping it wouldn't be any big names.  So ya all those early drafts people have done........I have done 21 so far but have not done 1 for about a week now when this dawned on me about players possibly opting out.

As if a 3 week player out for the virus isn't going to be bad enough these high stakes leagues are going to be a real crap shoot imagine your star player gets it week 14 and your in the running for $500K.......it's one thing to lose on the field it's another to lose like that.

I'm reading a fair bit about how they are trying to solve the salary cap for next season, if they dont allow fans, according to their agreement,  it should be cut in half.  The union wants the decrease spread over 7 years, while the league wants it over 2.  

Hello rookie deals, good bye vets

Oh, they need to calculate what the impact to viewership, and therefore advertising, will be when an entire team kneels during the national anthem.  I think they underestimate what is going to happen. Joe Bob six-pack watches all the protests and such this year, and when he finally gets to watch some football he is not going to take it well I am guessing. What a dumpster fire of a year... that is barely half over.

The big picture gives me a headache. This is all going to be horribly messy. I just cannot imagine that anything goes off smoothly. 

It could be a fun year in the sense that rosters could change dramatically every week but as mentioned, big dollar contests are going to take a big hit on this and those playing could really, really be pissed how it ends up for them. I usually play in 3 or 4 big contests, but I'll have to think it over. 

1 hour ago, DMD said:

Oh, they need to calculate what the impact to viewership, and therefore advertising, will be when an entire team kneels during the national anthem.  I think they underestimate what is going to happen. Joe Bob six-pack watches all the protests and such this year, and when he finally gets to watch some football he is not going to take it well I am guessing. What a dumpster fire of a year... that is barely half over.

The big picture gives me a headache. This is all going to be horribly messy. I just cannot imagine that anything goes off smoothly. 

It could be a fun year in the sense that rosters could change dramatically every week but as mentioned, big dollar contests are going to take a big hit on this and those playing could really, really be pissed how it ends up for them. I usually play in 3 or 4 big contests, but I'll have to think it over. 

Yep.  Bruce twelve-pack here.  I've already found other interests.  B)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Henry Muto said:

This year is going to be an epic failure if we even have a year.  I figured opt outs were coming when Basketball and baseball players were doing this I just was hoping it wouldn't be any big names.  So ya all those early drafts people have done........I have done 21 so far but have not done 1 for about a week now when this dawned on me about players possibly opting out.

As if a 3 week player out for the virus isn't going to be bad enough these high stakes leagues are going to be a real crap shoot imagine your star player gets it week 14 and your in the running for $500K.......it's one thing to lose on the field it's another to lose like that.

21 drafts is a normal friday for me...oh...you're not talking about beer.  Yes...wife is out of town and I may have hit the cabinet.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DMD said:

It is a fair move.  TE Mark Andrews with BAL is a diabetic. Not sure what other players have medical conditions but it is only right to allow them to sit out the year without penalty if they want.

Everyone will be getting a doctor's note like it's the 5th grade. If I was the NFL I'd stop all this nonesense and cancel the season immediately. That's about the only thing that can save their ass. Otherwise this is going to be an epic embarrassment. 

Things already have changed at least the reports have changed to being placed on commish list anyone with the virus and would come off when ready to go.  Could last any number of weeks as short as 1 or as many as needed.  New report is to have a 3 week IR for real injuries instead of the 8 week one they had been using.

This way teams can keep restocking their rosters without having to carry injured guys who would be out for say 3-4 weeks because you didn't want to IR them for 8.

Possibly unlimited IR return (they were going to increase to 3 IR return this year).

I just want football I already lost March Madness which was hard enough to take I can't lose football and needs to start on time my 2 week vacation is looming and I have yet to put in for it already had March Madness vacation cancelled this year.

• Thanks 1

On 7/18/2020 at 1:24 PM, Henry Muto said:

Things already have changed at least the reports have changed to being placed on commish list anyone with the virus and would come off when ready to go.  Could last any number of weeks as short as 1 or as many as needed.  New report is to have a 3 week IR for real injuries instead of the 8 week one they had been using.

This way teams can keep restocking their rosters without having to carry injured guys who would be out for say 3-4 weeks because you didn't want to IR them for 8.

Possibly unlimited IR return (they were going to increase to 3 IR return this year).

I just want football I already lost March Madness which was hard enough to take I can't lose football and needs to start on time my 2 week vacation is looming and I have yet to put in for it already had March Madness vacation cancelled this year.

The NFL is so disorganized it really makes me wonder who, if anyone, is running the show there regarding Covid. The rules for returning to work IF you have symptoms are already well established. Three days without a fever AND ten days have passed since symptoms started. No need for a re-test.

My point here is: unless a player gets really sick (eg hospitalized), it is fairly easy to figure out how long they'll be out for and it shouldn't be anywhere near 3-4 weeks.

2 hours ago, stethant said:

The NFL is so disorganized it really makes me wonder who, if anyone, is running the show there regarding Covid. The rules for returning to work IF you have symptoms are already well established. Three days without a fever AND ten days have passed since symptoms started. No need for a re-test.

My point here is: unless a player gets really sick (eg hospitalized), it is fairly easy to figure out how long they'll be out for and it shouldn't be anywhere near 3-4 weeks.

Agree, and what happens when 1 player tests positive during the season? Are you quarantining everyone that he's been near? Basically a whole team?  This is a recipe for certain disaster. 

54 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Agree, and what happens when 1 player tests positive during the season? Are you quarantining everyone that he's been near? Basically a whole team?  This is a recipe for certain disaster. 

I honestly kinda wonder if the plan IS to be disorganized so that everyone gets together for training camp and infects everyone else. Then they have staggered players being out through the training camp/pre-season so that by the time the season starts most of the player infection has already happened. 

Now the players aren't going to be on board with that, for sure - there's a low % chance of serious risk to some players - but you have to say with 4 months to plan the NFL hasn't done crap compared to the Bundesliga or the NBA. It's either intentional (Machiavellian) or incompetence (most likely).

6 hours ago, stethant said:

I honestly kinda wonder if the plan IS to be disorganized so that everyone gets together for training camp and infects everyone else. Then they have staggered players being out through the training camp/pre-season so that by the time the season starts most of the player infection has already happened. 

Now the players aren't going to be on board with that, for sure - there's a low % chance of serious risk to some players - but you have to say with 4 months to plan the NFL hasn't done crap compared to the Bundesliga or the NBA. It's either intentional (Machiavellian) or incompetence (most likely).

It's the strangest thing. Do you see any scenario where this actually happens? I don't. 

I cannot believe they would intentionally try to get anyone infected. That's potential life or death stuff depending on the person and whoever they see. It is surprising to see the NFL apparently hem and haw their way into this instead of a very well-delineated, detailed plan. Not sure how much the NFLPA has (or doesn't) have to do with it since they have to sign off on whatever. We're down to one preseason game tops now. Bet that one goes away too.

25 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

It's the strangest thing. Do you see any scenario where this actually happens? I don't. 

I agree with you - there's no way players will stand for this and NFL owners can't want their product to be degraded by players getting infected. I guess it was more a thought exercise to try and explain the NFL's total lack of preparation. 

The most likely explanation is still the simplest - they're probably just disorganized and can't figure out how to square a circle (there's really no way to prevent infections in a full-contact sport).

Edited by stethant

11 hours ago, stethant said:

That's for returning to work though. These guys are playing football with scratching and clawing and loving up on each other. I think you need a little bit more intense viral regulation in that scenario. Also NFL players are more likely to be asymptomatic as they are younger. I don't know that the rules are so easily transferred over

Edited by purplemonster
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

That's for returning to work though. These guys are playing football with scratching and clawing and loving up on each other. I think you need a little bit more intense viral regulation in that scenario. Also NFL players are more likely to be asymptomatic as they are younger. I don't know that the rules are so easily transferred over

Yup, imagine being a lineman? It doesn't get anymore personal than that. 

5 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Yup, imagine being a lineman? It doesn't get anymore personal than that. 

Well there's a reason I didn't wrestle. Number one pound-for-pound is not necessarily my game. Number towo wrestling a sweaty man in tights is not my idea of a good time. Being a lineman is a little bit the same but at least you have pads and clothes on.  Can you imagine what the virus transmission rate would be for wrestlers must be close to 100%

I am sure many of you are in the same boat as me especially having a lot of dynasty teams and also those who have done some redraft (I have done 26 high stakes redraft already).

This will be a nerve racking next 10 or so days until the opt out time period ends.

He had a great reason to opt-out. I'd be surprised if others do, but who knows. I understand that they can opt out during the season as well if a family member has it. I think.