[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Car salesman in NJ

irish

4 hours ago, League_Champion said:

You're definitely closer to PA but you'd probably get a much better deal in DE. 

Yup, sure is. 

4 hours ago, Boyce said:

What's happening fellas. Hit me up. I might be able to help. 

Shot you a text. 

On 5/14/2022 at 4:47 PM, irish said:

This is very true, I've been looking at cars in PA.

How do you buy a car sight unseen and trust it?

Depends on what kind of car you're hunting for.  Autocheck usually gives good history reports so you'll know its prior service history.  If it's along the lines of a Honda, Toyota, etc, I've met a handful of people that have had good experiences with Carvana and Carmax.  

If you're jumping to entry level BMW, Mercedes, Audi and the like, then best bet is a CPO vehicle from the dealership.  If it is at a different dealership, a BMW at a Mercedes dealer for instance, it can be taken to BMW for a Pre-purchase inspection and possibly be CPO'd - depends on the dealer.  If it's a private owner, then have them take it to the dealership for the PPI.  

If you go up a notch such as BMW M3, Merc AMG, Porsche, or into the 6-figure range then there are dealerships that specialize in that.  Down here Global Motorsports and Velocity Motorcars are two of them, I use the latter to find me very specific cars.  One of the guys will fly out, inspect the car, handle the purchase and ship it back or bring it back with one of their trailers.  There are also a couple dealers in Chicago and NY that cater to the higher end but I can't recall the names. 

What exactly are you looking for?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 1fastdoc said:

Depends on what kind of car you're hunting for.  Autocheck usually gives good history reports so you'll know its prior service history.  If it's along the lines of a Honda, Toyota, etc, I've met a handful of people that have had good experiences with Carvana and Carmax.  

If you're jumping to entry level BMW, Mercedes, Audi and the like, then best bet is a CPO vehicle from the dealership.  If it is at a different dealership, a BMW at a Mercedes dealer for instance, it can be taken to BMW for a Pre-purchase inspection and possibly be CPO'd - depends on the dealer.  If it's a private owner, then have them take it to the dealership for the PPI.  

If you go up a notch such as BMW M3, Merc AMG, Porsche, or into the 6-figure range then there are dealerships that specialize in that.  Down here Global Motorsports and Velocity Motorcars are two of them, I use the latter to find me very specific cars.  One of the guys will fly out, inspect the car, handle the purchase and ship it back or bring it back with one of their trailers.  There are also a couple dealers in Chicago and NY that cater to the higher end but I can't recall the names. 

What exactly are you looking for?

I'm looking at an entry level compact car like a Hyundai Accent, Nissan Sentra or Versa. I'm looking at paying cash for a used with low mileage or financing new for the lowest rate. 

3 hours ago, irish said:

I'm looking at an entry level compact car like a Hyundai Accent, Nissan Sentra or Versa. I'm looking at paying cash for a used with low mileage or financing new for the lowest rate. 

For that I'd look at Carmax or Carvana.  If you need to see it or drive it before committing that would be Carmax.  I'd still use the VIN to check the Autocheck, which I have found to be more accurate than Carfax although the latter is good too.  

At that price point I would not visit one of the many smaller private lots unless you don't care about high mileage and you know how to fix stuff.  Most of those cars are obtained at auction and who knows what little issue is going to pop up from a car in which routine service was neglected.  I know people that own those lots and it's all about finding cheap cars that can be prettied up to sell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1fastdoc said:

For that I'd look at Carmax or Carvana.  If you need to see it or drive it before committing that would be Carmax.  I'd still use the VIN to check the Autocheck, which I have found to be more accurate than Carfax although the latter is good too.  

At that price point I would not visit one of the many smaller private lots unless you don't care about high mileage and you know how to fix stuff.  Most of those cars are obtained at auction and who knows what little issue is going to pop up from a car in which routine service was neglected.  I know people that own those lots and it's all about finding cheap cars that can be prettied up to sell.

That's also one of the good things about Carmax is that they do a full inspection on the vehicle and won't sell it to an individual if it doesn't meet their criteria. We found that out a few months ago when we saw a Teluride on a Carmax lot. They let us look at it, but wouldn't let us drive it & they wouldn't take any offers on it.

1 minute ago, rajncajn said:

That's also one of the good things about Carmax is that they do a full inspection on the vehicle and won't sell it to an individual if it doesn't meet their criteria. We found that out a few months ago when we saw a Teluride on a Carmax lot. They let us look at it, but wouldn't let us drive it & they wouldn't take any offers on it.

I'm just curious, and don't know if you or 1fastdoc would know...Do they get it fixed up and eventually allow to be sold, or do they just sell to some other business that may not care about its condition when selling to the consumer.

I was surprised a few times to see what trade value dealers were giving on cars, mostly in order to sell a new car off their lot. I already knew they would take those older less valuable cars and sell them at auction. My brother traded in a pretty battered Buick LeSabre, in part because some of the repairs were getting outrageous with rusting issues. I also traded a car in once that I was just glad to get rid of before something else went wrong. I would have felt bad selling it to any private party. 

2 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I'm just curious, and don't know if you or 1fastdoc would know...Do they get it fixed up and eventually allow to be sold, or do they just sell to some other business that may not care about its condition when selling to the consumer.

I was surprised a few times to see what trade value dealers were giving on cars, mostly in order to sell a new car off their lot. I already knew they would take those older less valuable cars and sell them at auction. My brother traded in a pretty battered Buick LeSabre, in part because some of the repairs were getting outrageous with rusting issues. I also traded a car in once that I was just glad to get rid of before something else went wrong. I would have felt bad selling it to any private party. 

They told us it was going to auction.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stevegrab said:

The car probably went to auction and sold to a dealer that sells cars cheap to people with poor credit, which is where they make their money. 

Regarding trade ins, it helps on the tax side so they can pump the trade in value.