[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Car salesman in NJ

irish

13 minutes ago, Big John said:

No

:pc: But reminded me of this thread.

Jesus that's a Bible of a post!

4 minutes ago, darin3 said:

No, but now I know your username on FBG since I saw you post this over there too.  :lol: 

Hey man, you gotta put a many feelers out as possible, lol.  Yeah, have had a couple changes of name over there. They're a sensitive bunch. 

Just now, irish said:

Hey man, you gotta put a many feelers out as possible, lol.  Yeah, have had a couple changes of name over there. They're a sensitive bunch. 

Angryguys forum gonna angry

• Like 1

On 5/4/2022 at 7:59 PM, irish said:

Jesus that's a Bible of a post!

Damn that looked like War and Peace, I should add it to my bathroom reading list

On 5/4/2022 at 10:28 PM, Def. said:

Pretty sure the days of haggling are gone, so would just advise searching online. 

Not sure what you mean by haggling, are you saying that everybody pays sticker price? My last new car was in 2017, replaced one that was only 3-4 years old and got totaled, went back to the same dealer and did not pay sticker price (never have). It wasn't a massive deal, but it is also a popular vehicle that sells easily. About 4 years ago I bought a new motorcycle, it was an unpopular model that sat on dealer floors, this place had 3 of them and they were nearly half price (list was $12,500 and I paid 6500). That was actually the advertised price, and a real bargain in my view. Only negative was it was already a few years old when I got it (but in brand new condition, bikes are generally not prepped with fluids and battery until ready for sale, and unlike cars they don't sit outside in the elements. 

On 5/7/2022 at 10:13 AM, League_Champion said:

Now is a great time to buy if you know what you want and don't mind waiting. I waited months for my truck but saved well over $10,000. Finding what you want is the problem. 

Only if you're buying new and you're going to end up paying more for it in the end anyway if you're going to finance it with the rates being hiked up

3 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

Only if you're buying new and you're going to end up paying more for it in the end anyway if you're going to finance it with the rates being hiked up

You have to negotiate for sure. When I go to a dealer I already know what I'm going to pay, not a penny more. And don't be afraid to walk away from the table. 

On 5/10/2022 at 10:44 PM, 1fastdoc said:

Why do you want to buy a car in NJ?  Less salt and pothole damage on a southern car.  Are you looking for something specific?

I have 2 cars here in WI. A 1997 and a 2003.

Both cars will rust out before anything major goes.

On 5/10/2022 at 10:47 PM, Big John said:

He lives in NJ.

That's not a good reason. I live in Nashville. Last cars came from NC, Hawaii, CA and... NJ. Depends on what kind of car I guess. But there's typically better deals to be had in the south.

9 hours ago, 1fastdoc said:

That's not a good reason. I live in Nashville. Last cars came from NC, Hawaii, CA and... NJ. Depends on what kind of car I guess. But there's typically better deals to be had in the south.

This is very true, I've been looking at cars in PA.

How do you buy a car sight unseen and trust it?

Edited by irish

20 hours ago, irish said:

As a fellow northerner, I've done this a few times. You will still have to pay NJ tax, however. I usually find the kind of car I want, maybe even test drive it and then find it someplace else at a better price. You can still get it from a reputable dealer out of state and either pick it up or have it shipped.

3 hours ago, League_Champion said:

I would go to Delaware. What part of New Jersey are you in? 

Jersey is going to tax the hell out of you regardless. 

I'm from CNJ, Middlesex County.  Delaware is definitely an option. 

7 hours ago, Shaft said:

As a fellow northerner, I've done this a few times. You will still have to pay NJ tax, however. I usually find the kind of car I want, maybe even test drive it and then find it someplace else at a better price. You can still get it from a reputable dealer out of state and either pick it up or have it shipped.

Right, I would test drive something here and could extend my search. Maybe through Carvana or some site like that. 

19 hours ago, Shaft said:

About 5 years ago my brother in Los Angeles was looking to buy a nice car, convertible Mercedes coupe. He looked all over SoCal and other parts of the US Southwest. He ended up buying the car (certified pre-owned from a MB dealer) in Connecticut. He and his wife flew there, then drove the car here to Ohio and finally on to Michigan where he had a shipping company ship it back home and flew home. Combined that with visits to me and our brother in Michigan and still spent less in total. 

Personally I like going to a local dealer, and I'm buying new cars so rust issues due to its northern origins are not relevant. The car buying experience is changing more rapidly now than ever, with Carvana and many other ways to buy cars that are from the traditional process many of us are used to. 

I've know many people in my motorcycle group that have bought both new and used bikes from other states and thousand or more miles away. In some cases with a used bike they'd have a local friend or member of our club go check it out. Others may hire a mechanic to go check it out. I've traveled to Madison WI to buy a new bike, and helped my brother with a used bike he got from Cincinnati area that was then transported to middle Michigan. 

• Like 1

On 5/14/2022 at 4:47 PM, irish said:

My wife is wanting a "new" car and I'm having that problem myself. I can probably find a much better deal elsewhere, but she refuses to comit to any car sight unseen. Carmax seems to be one of the better options with that because if it's within the region, they will ship it over to their local dealer for you to look at first.