[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dobbins out 4-6 weeks

Big John

Gus Edwards looked impressive on Sunday. And after that game I got a trade off, Jeff Wilson and a 10th round (5th round in our 5 keeper league) pick for Edwards. I almost laughed at the guy, who I've traded with often. I rejected and told him that the two guys are going in opposite directions, and including the pick helps but not much. I'm trying to find a 2nd or 3rd RB for this year, maybe beyond. I'm not trading away guys with that potential, certainly not for somebody that's losing touches. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, T.C. said:

Anyone else not see that kenyan drake breakout coming last sunday? Missed opportunity there.

I wasn't expecting quite that much (18+ in my league) but figured a double digit score was likely. I tried to grab him off waivers and would have started him, would have won my game if I did.

Then I grabbed Edwards this week, but played Herbert instead. Now Edwards is my 2nd starter and even garnered some trade interest. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Holy Tuck said:

The thing is these RB's that are all being mentioned are week to week BOOM or BUST players. Gus, Herbert, Drake and now Wilson Jr. are all those types of RB's. You are taking a big chance with them and hoping for a high reward by the game's end. 

Here's why I am talking about those RBs...

My top RBs to start the season were Jacobs, Akers and Conner. Akers pooped the bed and is nearly worthless now, Conner got injured. My backups (Ingram & Mattison) were guys that would get some touches, maybe a larger share if the starter goes down. So I was looking for any RB that would be moving up the pecking order and getting a larger share. I had actually added Edwards a week or two before he returned, then cut him because I needed an active guy to fill in for others that were out. That was after targeting Drake/Murray and then settling on Michel. Several of the options I tried to get or considered would have helped me win in week 6. This past week I grabbed Edwards again, Hubbard and Herbert. All scored double digits (non PPR). Can that continue, probably not for all of them but Hubbard and Edwards have chances to be the main RB. There nothing better or more consistent on our waivers. 

Wilson is different, his value is actually dropping and I would not want to start him. Somebody tried to get Edwards from me offering Wilson and a late (9-10 round) pick, and I quickly rejected. 

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Here's why I am talking about those RBs...

My top RBs to start the season were Jacobs, Akers and Conner. Akers pooped the bed and is nearly worthless now, Conner got injured. My backups (Ingram & Mattison) were guys that would get some touches, maybe a larger share if the starter goes down. So I was looking for any RB that would be moving up the pecking order and getting a larger share. I had actually added Edwards a week or two before he returned, then cut him because I needed an active guy to fill in for others that were out. That was after targeting Drake/Murray and then settling on Michel. Several of the options I tried to get or considered would have helped me win in week 6. This past week I grabbed Edwards again, Hubbard and Herbert. All scored double digits (non PPR). Can that continue, probably not for all of them but Hubbard and Edwards have chances to be the main RB. There nothing better or more consistent on our waivers. 

Wilson is different, his value is actually dropping and I would not want to start him. Somebody tried to get Edwards from me offering Wilson and a late (9-10 round) pick, and I quickly rejected. 

I totally get where you are coming for. I also have Akers, Jeff Wilson Jr. and now Drake as well. I also have Connor and Swift. Those are my RB's. The problem in my league is those RB's like Edwards, Hubbard, Herbert are not available. I am not saying that these players shouldn't be on anyone's roster as they should. All I am saying is they are BOOM or BUST type of players. Players that one week can get you 15 points and then the next week get you 2 points. 

I see in your situation that adding an Edwards, Hubbard, Herbert is a must and I hope it works out for you, but consistency from players like that, I would not count on that happening. 

So you are correct in saying that at this time there is nothing better on the Waiver Wire at the RB position. I can guarantee you though that there will be other names at the RB position being talked about as early as next week. It happens every week. One for example could be Caleb Huntley if Allegeir has a bad start to his game. 

50 minutes ago, Holy Tuck said:

I totally get where you are coming for. I also have Akers, Jeff Wilson Jr. and now Drake as well. I also have Connor and Swift. Those are my RB's. The problem in my league is those RB's like Edwards, Hubbard, Herbert are not available. I am not saying that these players shouldn't be on anyone's roster as they should. All I am saying is they are BOOM or BUST type of players. Players that one week can get you 15 points and then the next week get you 2 points. 

I see in your situation that adding an Edwards, Hubbard, Herbert is a must and I hope it works out for you, but consistency from players like that, I would not count on that happening. 

So you are correct in saying that at this time there is nothing better on the Waiver Wire at the RB position. I can guarantee you though that there will be other names at the RB position being talked about as early as next week. It happens every week. One for example could be Caleb Huntley if Allegeir has a bad start to his game. 

I guess I just don't agree with the view of some that most of these RBs being discussed are worthless, and I've seen several people say that. You view is that they are very much boom or bust, and somebody just as good will be talked about next week. I don't agree, and the ATL RBs you mentioned were already signed in my league when Patterson went down. 

My league is a keeper, and sometimes a good future RB comes from a late season waiver move for a rising talent or injured player. 

Here's my take on the value of the RBs in the discussion

• Herbert had a big week because CHI ran the ball 45+ times
  • Wilson is the backup now, and probably moves down another step when Mitchell returns, he would not be somebody I bother with (no better than Michel who I just dropped or Mattison who is next RB to drop) 
  • Gus Edwards was the lead back before, had an injury and finally returned. I see Drake taking a back seat to him. Of course Lamar depletes all RB value, and its possible somebody else does better than Edwards. 
  • Hubbard is splitting carries with Foreman, will be more random

While Conner is out I'll be OK with Edwards, not great, but better than anything else I can do. 

Just for reference, here's where I'm at with my RBs and possibly show why I'm after guys like Gus etc:

My draft went Barkley, Etienne, Hall, Mitchell & Gordon then I added James Robinson on waivers. Barkley & Mitchell were my starters, then Mitchell got hurt & pushed Gordon into my lineup. Mitchell went to IR and I picked up Rhamondre Stevenson to replace him. The next week I dropped Gordon for a defense because he was the worst player on my team at the time. Then I dropped Etienne for Khalil Herbert and then swapped them again the very next week. :lol: By this point Hall was coming on & Robinson was losing ground to Etienne, so I dropped Robinson for D'Onta Foreman hoping to get the right replacement for CMac and finally, dropped Hall for Gus with my 2nd option being Hall for James Robinson who was still sitting on waivers. My RB stable now consists of Barkley, Etienne, Rhamondre, Foreman & Gus. If Etienne produces then I'm basically at a wash, which is the best I can hope for right now. Rhamondre, Foreman & Gus will serve as bye fillers and/or a spot flex play. My strength though is in my WRs, so it's possible there will be few times when I'm starting one of those three as a flex, unless of course Etienne doesn't pan out or :knocksonwood: Barkley gets injured.

ETA: I'm also picking these guys up because I have roster space to fill with a player who is IMO less valuable. I'd rather pick up a player who I'm probably never going to use rather than see them on my opponents score sheet.

AETA: Just also for reference, so far I have 22 waiver transactions in my league. The closest person to me has only 13. I'm currently 3rd in the league in points & 4th in the standings.

Edited by rajncajn
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I guess I just don't agree with the view of some that most of these RBs being discussed are worthless, and I've seen several people say that. You view is that they are very much boom or bust, and somebody just as good will be talked about next week. I don't agree, and the ATL RBs you mentioned were already signed in my league when Patterson went down. 

My league is a keeper, and sometimes a good future RB comes from a late season waiver move for a rising talent or injured player. 

Here's my take on the value of the RBs in the discussion

• Herbert had a big week because CHI ran the ball 45+ times
  • Wilson is the backup now, and probably moves down another step when Mitchell returns, he would not be somebody I bother with (no better than Michel who I just dropped or Mattison who is next RB to drop) 
  • Gus Edwards was the lead back before, had an injury and finally returned. I see Drake taking a back seat to him. Of course Lamar depletes all RB value, and its possible somebody else does better than Edwards. 
  • Hubbard is splitting carries with Foreman, will be more random

While Conner is out I'll be OK with Edwards, not great, but better than anything else I can do. 

My BOOM or BUST about most of these Waiver Wire pick ups is just this, a lot of these players get their chance because of injury. Are they worthless, certainly not. They have value, but it is definitely not consistent value that most likely you would be relying on from the player that got injured such as Breece Hall or even Dobbins or Patterson. That is where I am coming from with the BOOM or BUST analogy. Maybe it is more of them being really inconsistent from week to week. I hope that Gus runs all over Tampa Bay this Thursday, but there is a big chance he comes out of the gate and does nothing and it becomes the Kenyan Drake show and then next week we are all talking about Drake taking over the #1 Ravens RB position. I hope for the Ravens sake that they can find stability and it is Gus. He just has not really proved it on a consistent basis yet and hell before this past Sunday hadn't played since 2020. 

Too bad the Atlanta RB is not available in your league, he could easily be another name to add to the list for next week. He is available in my league and I am thinking about picking him up and dropping one of my WR's like Mecole Hardman who is on a Bye this week. 

26 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

Just for reference, here's where I'm at with my RBs and possibly show why I'm after guys like Gus etc:

My draft went Barkley, Etienne, Hall, Mitchell & Gordon then I added James Robinson on waivers. Barkley & Mitchell were my starters, then Mitchell got hurt & pushed Gordon into my lineup. Mitchell went to IR and I picked up Rhamondre Stevenson to replace him. The next week I dropped Gordon for a defense because he was the worst player on my team at the time. Then I dropped Etienne for Khalil Herbert and then swapped them again the very next week. :lol: By this point Hall was coming on & Robinson was losing ground to Etienne, so I dropped Robinson for D'Onta Foreman hoping to get the right replacement for CMac and finally, dropped Hall for Gus with my 2nd option being Hall for James Robinson who was still sitting on waivers. My RB stable now consists of Barkley, Etienne, Rhamondre, Foreman & Gus. If Etienne produces then I'm basically at a wash, which is the best I can hope for right now. Rhamondre, Foreman & Gus will serve as bye fillers and/or a spot flex play. My strength though is in my WRs, so it's possible there will be few times when I'm starting one of those three as a flex, unless of course Etienne doesn't pan out or :knocksonwood: Barkley gets injured.

ETA: I'm also picking these guys up because I have roster space to fill with a player who is IMO less valuable. I'd rather pick up a player who I'm probably never going to use rather than see them on my opponents score sheet.

AETA: Just also for reference, so far I have 22 waiver transactions in my league. The closest person to me has only 13. I'm currently 3rd in the league in points & 4th in the standings.

I have 12 roster moves, a few teams have fewer, several around the same number, the top 2 have 19 and 25 roster moves. (And that comes with a $2 real cost per player added.) The team with the most moves, dead last (0-7 and fewest points scored). The other team regularly among the highest, and has won the league 2nd most.

@Holy Tuck

You could be right, maybe Drake takes the lead role again, but based on what I had seen with RB usage I'm not that concerned. (He was the lead back weeks 1-2 with Dobbins out, then was inactive next 2 games when Dobbins returned, only other good game was the week Dobbins went down.) He had a share of the load last week, but his half a yard per carry was certainly not a sign of a guy who is going to get more work. Some weeks Hubbard might be a better play, or Herbert. I figure when Conner returns I'm not using them at all. 

6 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I have 12 roster moves, a few teams have fewer, several around the same number, the top 2 have 19 and 25 roster moves. (And that comes with a $2 real cost per player added.) The team with the most moves, dead last (0-7 and fewest points scored). The other team regularly among the highest, and has won the league 2nd most.

@Holy Tuck

You could be right, maybe Drake takes the lead role again, but based on what I had seen with RB usage I'm not that concerned. (He was the lead back weeks 1-2 with Dobbins out, then was inactive next 2 games when Dobbins returned, only other good game was the week Dobbins went down.) He had a share of the load last week, but his half a yard per carry was certainly not a sign of a guy who is going to get more work. Some weeks Hubbard might be a better play, or Herbert. I figure when Conner returns I'm not using them at all. 

Certainly when Connor returns and I hope that is this week you won't have to worry about any of this mess. Like I said I also have Connor and also Swift whom I am hoping both return this week. I do believe Swift is going to return and a bit more skeptical about Connor. Hopefully, worst case you will have to use these RB's for 1 week and the rest of the way you have your starters back.