[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

World Cup 22 Thread

Chief Dick

5 hours ago, skylive5 said:

👍 On the edge of my chair the whole game.

Unfortunately they are going to be blown away by the Dutch.

Probably, but good to see them advance after such a long drought. 

15 hours ago, skylive5 said:

👍 On the edge of my chair the whole game.

Unfortunately they are going to be blown away by the Dutch.

I'm not so sure about that. The Dutch are good - no doubt about it. But of all the teams to draw in the knockout rounds they might be the best opponent for the US. The problem is they won't take us lightly like the English did.

5 hours ago, Chief Dick said:

I'm not so sure about that. The Dutch are good - no doubt about it. But of all the teams to draw in the knockout rounds they might be the best opponent for the US. The problem is they won't take us lightly like the English did.

The problem as I see it is that Pulisic is hurting and will have pain the whole time he plays. I'm rooting for the US but am also a realist. :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chief Dick said:

Croatia/Belgium a massive match on right now. This should be a good one, especially with Morocco scoring already.

Wow, first Mexico and now Belgium.  Crazy.

Even with injuries I think the French are the team to beat.  

US looking OK, but Dutch should be able to get by us quite easily.

As always, I'm rooting for my Germans but keep the Danes in my back pocket as I have both blood types in me.

Edit - oops, Germany now out too.  Wow.

Edited by darin3

I don't think the Dutch are as talented as England.   I believe they are also a bit older as well and don't have the stamina. I think this game will be tougher for them than most think and I give the US a decent chance at an upset. 

On 12/2/2022 at 11:10 PM, irish said:

I don't think the Dutch are as talented as England.   I believe they are also a bit older as well and don't have the stamina. I think this game will be tougher for them than most think and I give the US a decent chance at an upset. 

England likely played us conservatively after their big win against Iran.  But, USA really looked solid on the pitch.  It was disappointing to see the defensive mental lapses against the Dutch. They made our side pay for everyone of them.  I still don't think US was outplayed in that match beyond those lapses.  

We really need a striker.  We are clearly more talented and technical compared to recent teams.  But a Clint Dempsey or Landon Donovan type of previous years would've really helped.

Pulisic is a stud, but he's nowhere near an elite finisher yet.  They also had him kick ever corner kick and set piece.  None of those seemed to come anywhere near a quality opportunity.  Not sure if that was all on him, but it seemed like all set pieces were wasted opportunities.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

England likely played us conservatively after their big win against Iran.  But, USA really looked solid on the pitch.  It was disappointing to see the defensive mental lapses against the Dutch. They made our side pay for everyone of them.  I still don't think US was outplayed in that match beyond those lapses.  

We really need a striker.  We are clearly more talented and technical compared to recent teams.  But a Clint Dempsey or Landon Donovan type of previous years would've really helped.

Pulisic is a stud, but he's nowhere near an elite finisher yet.  They also had him kick ever corner kick and set piece.  None of those seemed to come anywhere near a quality opportunity.  Not sure if that was all on him, but it seemed like all set pieces were wasted opportunities.

Well said on all points. I specifically felt that this point is a glaring need!

• Chief Dick changed the title to World Cup 22 Thread