[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Revenge games

Dcat

AJ Brown not only scored two TDs....  he got the guy who traded him fired.  Mid season.  Is it normal to fire GMs during the season?  I don't think so.  AJ's revenge factor wreaked havoc.

How many of us are playing Hockenson this week?  :headbang:

But not so fast.......

Does Hockenson really want revenge for escaping Detroit?  He's probably as thankful as can be.

edit:  He's going to still want to put on a show in the Detroit endzone, I'm sure.  Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Edited by Dcat

34 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

I am not sure there is too much similarity. I haven't heard any acrimony about Hock but Aj definitely harbored some bad feelings. Also I think aj can punish people, especially smaller db's in a way Hock can't. But hey if hock wants to do some damage I'm all for it 

Man if you listen to all the betting handicappers, they are all over revenge factors, particular for players vs former teams on prop bets.  Whether or not, of course I'm playing him...  but I'd think he'd be very popular in DFS this week mainly because of it. 

10 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Agree in this case. The AJ Brown revenge was legit. He was pissed when they traded him. 

Not sure why he's pissed, he's on a much better team with real potential to win a title. He got his big new contract that he wanted and the Titans were unwilling to do. (Titans are good but not what I consider a SB contender in the AFC behind KC, BUF, CIN, in fact while they've been winning more games the last couple years they're losing earlier in the playoffs.  

Maybe you heard more as an Eagles fan, but I don't recall the details and the couple stories I read were not filled with any signs of being pissed. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/eagles-aj-brown-titans-trade-no-bad-blood-pointing-fingers

The first story linked to the second with the phrase "Philadelphia Eagles receiver A.J. Brown hasn't shied away from discussing how the end of his tenure in Tennessee went down." I was expecting to have something more negative. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/a-j-brown-excited-to-be-an-eagle-no-bad-blood-with-titans

45 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Not sure why he's pissed, he's on a much better team with real potential to win a title. He got his big new contract that he wanted and the Titans were unwilling to do. (Titans are good but not what I consider a SB contender in the AFC behind KC, BUF, CIN, in fact while they've been winning more games the last couple years they're losing earlier in the playoffs.  

Maybe you heard more as an Eagles fan, but I don't recall the details and the couple stories I read were not filled with any signs of being pissed. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/eagles-aj-brown-titans-trade-no-bad-blood-pointing-fingers

The first story linked to the second with the phrase "Philadelphia Eagles receiver A.J. Brown hasn't shied away from discussing how the end of his tenure in Tennessee went down." I was expecting to have something more negative. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/a-j-brown-excited-to-be-an-eagle-no-bad-blood-with-titans

I think you need to read between the lines there:

'no bad blood' = likely some bad blood.

'wanted to retire a titan' (not sure in this article but said before)= pissed off.

'Bittersweet'= pissed off

He's joining a new team so doesn't want to make it seem like he doesn't want to be there, but at the same time expressing his displeasure 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Not sure why he's pissed

How in the world is this a difficult concept to grasp?  🤪

His team gave up on him and traded him for draft capital. 

Multiple NFL players have admitted not being re-signed made them carry a grudge against an organization for several years.  The world of sports is littered with examples of elite athletes making the most benign of circumstances personal.  All in an attempt to create a competitive edge.  

Edited by Bobby Brown

23 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

I know being a GM is tough but I do second-guess the AJ trade. He's a bit of a man-child, works hard, everyone seems to like him. Doesn't seem like the kind of guy I want to get rid of

And all they got for him was the 18th overall pick that year, Treylon Burks. So why would any GM in their right mind trade AJ Brown straight up for an unknown rookie? One of the biggest heists I've ever seen. 

4 hours ago, stevegrab said:

I think there were a few factors.  Others were seeing big money and his skills are on par if not better than thiers.  The issue is probably above Robinson.  This team has always had problems under the current ownership.  But nobody can fire Strunk.  So, we'll live in mediocrity for a while longer, making it to then getting knocked out of the playoffs.  Sadly, Vrabel has been very good at overcoming adversity.  We started 91 players during the 2021 season.  With a better crew I think he'd be winning superbowls.  For some reason I don't think Strunk wants that.  Or she's pathologically cheap.

Edit: a few responses were added since I opened the thread.  As pointed out, it doesn't make much sense.  And if you look back since Strunk became owner,  a lot of things don't make sense.  Brown was a franchise player, worth the money they pay these days.  I very highly doubt the decision falls on the GM.  But the blame will.

Edited by 1fastdoc

3 hours ago, purplemonster said:

Homer alert on making the AJ Brown trade about the Seahawks.  

There was buzz about DK Metcalf being traded before the 2022 draft and before the 2022 season started.  Especially after the Russel Wilson trade. It made sense.  Everything pointed to a rebuild in Seattle.

DK, in my mind is a poorer man's AJ Brown.  I believe the Hawks looked at AJ Brown being traded for the 18th and 101st pick and realized that was the high end of the trade market price.  Pretty positive they then decided re-signing Metcalf for 3 years at 72 million was better value.

Not sure what cap issues the Titans were dealing with but they clearly should have been prioritizing a window to win.  AJ Brown is one of the few WRs that seem to make an offensive scheme 'automatically' more dangerous.  The trade seeinlngly hampered the Titans in the short term and caused distrust in the organization's commitment to win. 

The Titans GM paid the ultimate price.

It's easy to say it was a bad move now, but it was also a chin scratcher when it happened.

1 hour ago, Bobby Brown said:

Homer alert on making the AJ Brown trade about the Seahawks.  

There was buzz about DK Metcalf being traded before the 2022 draft and before the 2022 season started.  Especially after the Russel Wilson trade. It made sense.  Everything pointed to a rebuild in Seattle.

DK, in my mind is a poorer man's AJ Brown.  I believe the Hawks looked at AJ Brown being traded for the 18th and 101st pick and realized that was the high end of the trade market price.  Pretty positive they then decided re-signing Metcalf for 3 years at 72 million was better value.

Not sure what cap issues the Titans were dealing with but they clearly should have been prioritizing a window to win.  AJ Brown is one of the few WRs that seem to make an offensive scheme 'automatically' more dangerous.  The trade seeinlngly hampered the Titans in the short term and caused distrust in the organization's commitment to win. 

The Titans GM paid the ultimate price.

It's easy to say it was a bad move now, but it was also a chin scratcher when it happened.

I think those are all fair points. And I agree with your assessment of DK. Finding tough guys like AJ brown who can physically take over games are not easy and he was producing with relatively mediocre QB play in Tennessee. A lot of times I will side with GM's who let guys go because you can get cheaper draft picks or players that will get you the majority of the production. AJB is an exception though for me 

Edited by purplemonster
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

A lot of times I will side with GM's who let guys go because you can get cheaper draft picks or players that will get you the majority of the production. AJB is an exception though for me 

Exactly.  Letting 'studs' go to other teams can certainly pay off.  But it can still benefit the organization to overpay players to keep the faith even if said studs underperform their contracts.  It's a tricky dance. And Tennessee's decision to fire the GM seems to admit they fubared that dance.  

The firing is still odd though.  Given their position in the division.

Edited by Bobby Brown

7 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

Exactly.  Letting 'studs' go to other teams can certainly pay off.  But it can still benefit the organization to overpay players to keep the faith even if said studs underperform their contracts.  It's a tricky dance. And Tennessee's decision to fire the GM seems to admit they fubared that dance.  

The firing is still odd though.  Given their position in the division.

Anyone that lives here and knows the Titans organization can tell you the problem is with one person/family.  The Titans will remain a solid team that makes the playoffs, fills seats and sells jerseys but they won't sink the money into a second high priced player.  Burks was probably a math move - similar production much lower cost.  It's all about ROI, the game is secondary.